Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Magazines

Options
  • 04-11-2010 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭

If anyone gets one:

If you have an Amazon.co.uk account, the subscription to the Irish times is 5.99 sterling. If you have the Amazon.com account that subscription is $5.99.

That's 4.20 euro vs. 6.28 euro. You can switch accounts on your Kindle, which they don't publicise. The differences in prices for books are similarly insane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

Snakeblood wrote: »
    If anyone gets one:

If you have an Amazon.co.uk account, the subscription to the Irish times is 5.99 sterling. If you have the Amazon.com account that subscription is $5.99.

That's 4.20 euro vs. 6.28 euro. You can switch accounts on your Kindle, which they don't publicise. The differences in prices for books are similarly insane.

I thought the Irish Times was $22.99 on amazon.com ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JJ4A9E?pf_rd_p=499774571&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=2223466011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0T82368Z9NKCQ9WJN5C5

How do I get it for $5.99 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

patrickpc wrote: »

Well now that's bizarre.

The Irish Times [Kindle Edition]
    by The Irish Times
    3.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (7 customer reviews)

› See all 7 customer reviews...
    › See all discussions...
    Delivered: Daily (except Sunday)
    Monthly Price: $5.99 & includes free wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet

That's what mine says...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

You probably have your Kindle associated with a US address....that is why you are getting the US pricing.

But I think that if Amazon detects that you are downloading from outside your registered country they will apply a surcharge.

I can't remember the details but I tried to trick the Kindle by associating it with a US address and the additional surcharges negated the benefits of the US pricing.....

Still $22.99 for Irish customers and $5.99 for US??? What kind of pricing strategy is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

It does indeed show $5.99 when using a US proxy on proxy.org. So looks like it's showing prices based on IP without even logging in so nothing to do with where the kindle is registered. Perhaps you have to login and chance to the US store before you can see the 5.99 price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Or you could just use Calibre and get it for free. I wrote this post last week explaining how in the Gadgets forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68734572&postcount=49

• Advertisement

Redisle wrote: »
    It does indeed show $5.99 when using a US proxy on proxy.org. So looks like it's showing prices based on IP without even logging in so nothing to do with where the kindle is registered. Perhaps you have to login and chance to the US store before you can see the 5.99 price.

I think it is tied to where the Kindle is registered.

I tried it earlier (incidentlly using a US proxy) and saw the $22.99 pricing. I then changed the registered country of the Kindle through 'Manage your Kindle' to a US address and the $5.99 pricing appeared.

Right now I am using an Irish IP and still seeing the US pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Or you could just use Calibre and get it for free. I wrote this post last week explaining how in the Gadgets forum:

Welp, this would be the real bargain then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Wonderful tip and a true bargain alert ! Just tried this tonight and it worked perfectly !

Wonderful tip and a true bargain alert ! Just tried this tonight and it worked perfectly !

Wonderful tip is right.....and it does work.

BUT

(and I don't mean to pour cold water on a very useful trick)

I don't think this is the same content as you would get if you pay for the Irish Times subscription.

As far as I can tell, this is scraping the freely available content from the Irish Times website. For example, in today's download, it didn't include the content for the Magazine and some of the articles from the day before (Friday) were downloaded today (Saturday).

Still there was plenty of today's IT content and it formats on the Kindle very well. I tried the Irish Independent also and while that does include picutres (Boo to the Irish Times!) I found the formatting a bit messier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Flyer28 wrote: »
    I don't think this is the same content as you would get if you pay for the Irish Times subscription.

Yeah that is true. Not sure why, because all of the extra stuff like the travel and weekend magazines is available on the Irish Times website. As far as I can see, you get all of the main paper but some of the supplements are missing. The good thing is that Calibre and its news sources are being completely updated so it may come along soon.

Also, with UK newspapers such as the Telegraph and the Guardian/ Observer, the supplements are all there which is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

Hi there,

I have been using Calibre to download The Irish Times for my Kindle every morning for a couple of months now. It has more or less stopped working in the past week - I can just get the front page articles. Has anyone else had a similar experience ? I can still download other papers including the Irish Independent so I know my PC is working ok.

Any advice or help ?

Thanks,

Advertisement