Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badgers

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

mgn wrote: »

Jesus Christ. That's rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Google the Tulla otter :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

That otter was a pure thug! He looked delighted to be getting out the back window of the jeep. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

mgn wrote: »

And to think the whole episode could have been avoided with some simple polystyrene

• Registered Users Posts: 39,626 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Discodog wrote: »
    There's never been a recorded case of a Swan breaking an arm yet so many quote it.

One drowned a dog last summer.

Pure evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

When TB was a bigger problem some farmers would block off the badger set/den exits and then fill the sets with exhaust fumes from tractors.
    When the badgers came out, dogs/farmers would attack and kill them. Pretty barbaric.

I came across 2 badgers fighting one night in the Burren. They were locked into each other and were making the most awful screaming sound. I reckon badgers fighting have been mistaken for banshee screams down the years!

It foxes barking that was mistaken for the banshee as foxes have a few different types of bark.

I’ve been around a long and never heard of farmers doing that to badgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Boggles wrote: »

Pure evil.

Did the swan land in the dogs garden and drag the dog into a paddling pool, or did the dog attempt to interfere with the swan or its young in the swans natural habitat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my garden, i hear them but they can run fast so rarely see them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Does your dog not go mental? I have 2 foxes that visit every night for food I leave out for them and the cats, even if my dog senses them he goes crazy, they hate them. On the plus side, it's hilarious watching on the cctv the nightly battle between the cats and foxes over the food, cats take no messing

I thought foxes were a threat to cats until I spoke to a cat behaviourist who said they don’t bother with them as they are too risky! Maybe kittens but not cats

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    I thought foxes were a threat to cats until I spoke to a cat behaviourist who said they don’t bother with them as they are too risky! Maybe kittens but not cats

Had a ginger Tom Cat taken by a fox from the farmyard. The screams of the cat caught my attention but by the time I got to where the fox was the cat was dead. They will and do attack cats and other pets. It's not unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    It foxes barking that was mistaken for the banshee as foxes have a few different types of bark.

I’ve been around a long and never heard of farmers doing that to badgers.
    I've heard the vixens scream a few times. It is haunting.
    I have heard of it, and in Wales they send ferrets into the setts to flush them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Hens and chickens are the foxes favorite takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They pose no threat. But you will hear stories that they do to justify classing them as vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,626 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Did the swan land in the dogs garden and drag the dog into a paddling pool, or did the dog attempt to interfere with the swan or its young in the swans natural habitat

What you mean?

Sick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Badgers will fight a man, listen to this lads story.
    https://youtu.be/idgwsxVXyGo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Regarding the size of an attacker relative to what is being attacked - the following youtube video shows a full sized swan being attacked by a mink. The swan does succeed in getting away but not without some difficulty.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/F0SsB1vQ3kU/maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    What were you driving? A Porsche?

The newest version of the A6, did hit it at a fair pace. There was a lot of bits of bumper and plastic scattered around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

PsychoPete wrote: »
    The newest version of the A6, did hit at a fair pace. There was a lot of bits of bumper and plastic scattered around

I know a lad who burst the rad on a Nissan bluebird after stricking a badger.he reckons he had his foot planted and was only hitting the road in spots.
    He said it sounded like a bomb going off.

They’re armour plated hardy little fcukers are them badgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Pure evil.

Nothing evil about that incident, it was self defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Great way to get her upstairs is to tell her about RATS that hunt in packs of 20 or 30.

The best part was watching her watching out for Charlies in the trees

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Lovely animals I used to photograph a badger family at a sett over the space of 5-6 years got very familiar with them.

In the beginning I must admit I brought a stick with me in the wellies due to all the tales.. have to say was never needed, and wouldn’t be.
    Had one sit on my feet one night and start barging me outta the way of food ( must have been seen as competition !)

Setts are fairly easy to find , have only seen them a few times during the day usually due to unusual weather conditions I.e extremely dry weather. Led to some funny stand offs alright both staring at each other as if to say what you doing here it’s daytime !

Srameen gave some good advice earlier in the thread for watching them. I have watched them from a distance at a few setts but also used to lure them closer using food to areas that I had lighting set up etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Okay then. How many badgers have attacked or harmed people in Ireland in the past five years?

The nearest I'm aware of (and I have a lot of experience with badgers and with people who deal with them regularly) is a snarl or snap when trapped or snared.

23 and 2/3 according to The KLF

• Registered Users Posts: 15,797 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Effects wrote: »
    Nothing evil about that incident, it was self defence.

Yes. Animals don't have a concept of good or evil. That's why they're animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What you mean?

Sick!

Sums you up perfectly

Advertisement