Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Problem

Options
  • 07-08-2020 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

We've moved into an old house - bathroom looks about 20 years old at least but is functioning ok apart from the shower.

The hot and cold water works fine in taps upstairs and down. The shower has one mixer tap.. It's one of those old things where you pull the lever/tap out and twist it left for hot/right for cold.(similar to pic)

To get shower hot, we have to turn lever all the way to the left. Even though it probably should get warm/hot at the half-way mark. Takes a while for this to kick in. In my old house (which had same set up) I'd normally put it at "6 o'clock" position to get a good balance of hot/cold.

This yoke has a mind of its own. After getting it hot (say at 8 o'clock), it becomes scalding so move it back gradually to try to cool it down. It then suddenly goes totally cold, before you get back to 6 o'clock

Any suggestions? We are probably going to replace it at some point with an electric shower, but hadn't planned to spend any money on it this year.

Happy to get a plumber out anyway, but if it is something simple we're doing wrong, it would be good to know!

(I will probably have a million more DIY questions as we discover more quirks!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

It sounds like the thermostatic catridge within the mixer is shot and likely needs to be replaced especially if it's as old as you mention. A shower mixer isn't just a case of of turning on the hot and cold water supply but instead the thermostatic controls governs the supply of each and ideally maintains a constant temperature based on your dial.
    They can be surprisingly expensive so check for any manufacture markings and see what kind of price a replacement would be online.
    If you're in a hard water area and suffer from limescale it could be worth removing the catridge and soaking it in vinegar as it may be just blocked rather than end of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

It sounds like the thermostatic catridge within the mixer is shot and likely needs to be replaced especially if it's as old as you mention. A shower mixer isn't just a case of of turning on the hot and cold water supply but instead the thermostatic controls governs the supply of each and ideally maintains a constant temperature based on your dial.
    They can be surprisingly expensive so check for any manufacture markings and see what kind of price a replacement would be online.
    If you're in a hard water area and suffer from limescale it could be worth removing the catridge and soaking it in vinegar as it may be just blocked rather than end of life.

Thank you so much - this is the kind of stuff I have no idea about.
    I'll check that out.

(by "I" I mean, I'll tell my husband and probably ring my dad �� )

Advertisement