Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk v Drogheda

Options
  • 25-06-2020 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

Hi all, as a recent blow in to the county and as an outsiders perspective on both towns, both have nearly identical populations etc. There appears to be a lot of new big businesses opening in Dundalk from what i see, possibly more so than Drogheda, but is Drogheda building more houses and the town that is more likely to pull away with population?

It is always healthy to have two similarly sized towns rival it put but just curious to see local perspective on this?

Am i correct in saying the house building in Dundalk is more to the Blackrock area and as a result not in the town as such? Is there plans for either town to extend their boundary in the future to take in the surrounding areas, i know Drogheda has Co Meath very close to its borders..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Drogheda is expanding as people move out of Dublin in the search of cheaper housing whereas the housing in Dundalk is being aimed at people who are working in the area with the new companies being established. A lot of the Dundalk housing is being built in the Blackrock / Haggardstown area due to the proximity with Wuxi, Almac, Paypal, etc. Large companies have always been attracted to Dundalk due to ease of access to a workforce from both sides of the border and the DKIT being in the town helps also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Drogheda is expanding as people move out of Dublin in the search of cheaper housing whereas the housing in Dundalk is being aimed at people who are working in the area with the new companies being established. A lot of the Dundalk housing is being built in the Blackrock / Haggardstown area due to the proximity with Wuxi, Almac, Paypal, etc. Large companies have always been attracted to Dundalk due to ease of access to a workforce from both sides of the border and the DKIT being in the town helps also.

I think DKIT is definately something Dundalk has over Drogheda which is probably why it attracts the likes of Wuxi etc.

It would be interesting to see how both towns develop over the years and what the gap in population would be between the two in next years census

Drogheda is basically a suburb of Dublin and as such will probably increase its population more quickly. They already have more fingers per hand so it's not something we in Dundalk are too worried about.

dave 27 wrote: »
    I think DKIT is definately something Dundalk has over Drogheda which is probably why it attracts the likes of Wuxi etc.

It would be interesting to see how both towns develop over the years and what the gap in population would be between the two in next years census

Drogheda will grow quicker in terms of population with more of an influx from Dublin but that will bring it's own problems too and is it something the people of Drogheda welcome?

Dundalk's expansion seems to have been more gradual and more based around job creation in the area rather than a large influx of commuters and I'd say it'll continue on that trend. There's also been more of a cross border trade between Newry and Dundalk for retail in both directions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Hi all, as a recent blow in to the county and as an outsiders perspective on both towns, both have nearly identical populations etc. There appears to be a lot of new big businesses opening in Dundalk from what i see, possibly more so than Drogheda, but is Drogheda building more houses and the town that is more likely to pull away with population?

It is always healthy to have two similarly sized towns rival it put but just curious to see local perspective on this?

Am i correct in saying the house building in Dundalk is more to the Blackrock area and as a result not in the town as such? Is there plans for either town to extend their boundary in the future to take in the surrounding areas, i know Drogheda has Co Meath very close to its borders..

In Dundalk you have cheap drink and heating oil 5 mins up the road.

• Advertisement

In about 15 years I'd say Drogheda will have gotten rid of all it's greenfield sites in favour of housing estates, as the Dublin commuters buy up anything that's available as living in Dublin is too expensive.

It'll take a while for that to reach Dundalk though, as the Dublin building boom will work in a semi-circle around the M50 aswell (rather than just heading directly northwards).

I travel in Drogheda more frequently than Dundalk, and I can attest that the traffic situation in Drogheda has severely worsened in the past 5 years alone. Congestion has become noticeably worse, as the town simply isn't able to handle the amount of traffic generated by new housing and toll-dodgers, etc.

At peak times, it's as bad as Dublin City, unfortunately.

Dundalk suffers congestion at peak times, but I otherwise find getting around dundalk is a lot swifter during the day when people are already at work. Whereas Drogheda lately seems to have a constant congestion issue.

Personally, if it were me, I'd buy in Dundalk before I'd buy in Drogheda (and i say that as someone who lives in Drogheda). I reckon Dundalk will have a 'calmer' kind of vibe for a while yet, whereas Drogheda is already struggling to maintain it's current population, and there are still houses planned, and currently being built, left, right and centre. I just hope it all pushes the value of my house up so i when it reaches breaking point, I can sell and move to middle-of-nowhere Leitrim or something (assuming that hasn't turned into Dublin Jr. by then, too)

In about 15 years I'd say Drogheda will have gotten rid of all it's greenfield sites in favour of housing estates, as the Dublin commuters buy up anything that's available as living in Dublin is too expensive.

It'll take a while for that to reach Dundalk though, as the Dublin building boom will work in a semi-circle around the M50 aswell (rather than just heading directly northwards).

I travel in Drogheda more frequently than Dundalk, and I can attest that the traffic situation in Drogheda has severely worsened in the past 5 years alone. Congestion has become noticeably worse, as the town simply isn't able to handle the amount of traffic generated by new housing and toll-dodgers, etc.

At peak times, it's as bad as Dublin City, unfortunately.

Dundalk suffers congestion at peak times, but I otherwise find getting around dundalk is a lot swifter during the day when people are already at work. Whereas Drogheda lately seems to have a constant congestion issue.

Personally, if it were me, I'd buy in Dundalk before I'd buy in Drogheda (and i say that as someone who lives in Drogheda). I reckon Dundalk will have a 'calmer' kind of vibe for a while yet, whereas Drogheda is already struggling to maintain it's current population, and there are still houses planned, and currently being built, left, right and centre. I just hope it all pushes the value of my house up so i when it reaches breaking point, I can sell and move to middle-of-nowhere Leitrim or something (assuming that hasn't turned into Dublin Jr. by then, too)

Iv'e bought in Dundalk Haggardstown area, living there since jan and find it the best of both worlds (close to the town but also close to Blackrock and the countryside).

Is there any detailed development plan for both towns for how they will develop? I assume there is a bigger picture regarding the sporadic development of housing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭event

I assume there is a bigger picture regarding the sporadic development of housing

Dundalks town planners are a disgrace tbh.
    Maybe you havent seen it yet but go down to Seatown and Jocelyn street and look at the bike lanes.
    Or the new one way footpaths.
    Or the junction of bridge street with linenhall street

I have absolutely no confidence that there is a bigger picture with planning in Dundalk, they havent a clue

event wrote: »
    Dundalks town planners are a disgrace tbh.
    Maybe you havent seen it yet but go down to Seatown and Jocelyn street and look at the bike lanes.
    Or the new one way footpaths.
    Or the junction of bridge street with linenhall street

I have absolutely no confidence that there is a bigger picture with planning in Dundalk, they havent a clue

Im impressed with the quality of finish with the main square, that type of finish should be incorporated into the streets coming out of it. Maybe more pedestrian streets put in.

I notice a lot of old brownfield/greenfield sites close to the centre of town which i think should be utilised for apartments etc to create more density within the town limits, i always feel there is a lot of wasted space around tescos and out the dublin road on the left beyond it too.

They should look at these areas too instead of building outside the town

Iv'e bought in Dundalk Haggardstown area, living there since jan and find it the best of both worlds (close to the town but also close to Blackrock and the countryside).

Is there any detailed development plan for both towns for how they will develop? I assume there is a bigger picture regarding the sporadic development of housing

Every local authority is obliged to devise and publish a development plan, and you'll find Louth's plan here.

Haggardstown is a nice area. I spent the lockdown in Ravensdale, north of Dundalk, and frankly I think the least amount of development on the peninsula, and along the coastline, the better. One of the most remarkable places of Ireland I've ever stayed. Hope you're enjoying it.

• Advertisement

Every local authority is obliged to devise and publish a development plan, and you'll find Louth's plan here.

Haggardstown is a nice area. I spent the lockdown in Ravensdale, north of Dundalk, and frankly I think the least amount of development on the peninsula, and along the coastline, the better. One of the most remarkable places of Ireland I've ever stayed. Hope you're enjoying it.

Yea we are very lucky with the house and area. Only went to ravensdale forest for the first time 2 weeks ago and was extremely impressed with the whole area, such a gem to have so close to the town too!

Yea we are very lucky with the house and area. Only went to ravensdale forest for the first time 2 weeks ago and was extremely impressed with the whole area, such a gem to have so close to the town too!
    If you ever see a guy walking a couple of terriers in Ravensdale Forsest, say hi, that's probably me; I'm just beside it. Check out Bellurgan and Gyles Quay too, lovely spots for swimming.

Ventured down to Blackrock a couple of times since the 20km limit arose, but a lot of places were still closed. But the coastline alone is really impressive.

All of the above is why I think the Dundalk/ North Louth area is far nicer than Drogheda, which itself is a very decent town, of course, but it doesnt compete in terms of outdoor amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

There appears to be a lot of new big businesses opening in Dundalk from what i see, possibly more so than Drogheda.
    The IDA have brought over 4000 jobs to Dundalk and less then 1000 to Drogheda. It's been covered in the local paper several times.

Scotty # wrote: »
    The IDA have brought over 4000 jobs to Dundalk and less then 1000 to Drogheda. It's been covered in the local paper several times.

The IDA have always had a large chunk of land in Dundalk with good infrastructure links. They probably don't create on the same scale in Drogheda due to the fact they are more or less halfway between both the Dundalk and Swords business parks.

They were able to attract Almac to move jobs from Craigavon to Dundalk due to the proximity to the border which had less impact to their employees who were relocating.

The IDA have always had a large chunk of land in Dundalk with good infrastructure links. They probably don't create on the same scale in Drogheda due to the fact they are more or less halfway between both the Dundalk and Swords business parks.

They were able to attract Almac to move jobs from Craigavon to Dundalk due to the proximity to the border which had less impact to their employees who were relocating.

Do you know what the biggest employer in Dundalk is?

I'd say it's probably Paypal at the moment but Wuxi will become the biggest when it's fully up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The IDA have always had a large chunk of land in Dundalk with good infrastructure links.

They had the same in Drogheda, 30 seconds off the M1, with a single factory on it. They've now sold it and no longer have any presence in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

DKIT by far.

Advertisement