Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne Greenway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

4pm today is deadline to make a submission. Very easy to do so on meath co co site.

I can't wait for this to be built

Read somewhere online (DroghedaLife possibly?) that apparently this has had a lot of feedback from people, making it one of the (if not the) busiest public consultations the CoCo have ever undertaken? Apparently something like 96% of submissions about it are in favour of it.

Looks like the poor folk in Mornington are gonna have to get used to strangers cars parking in their estate. :rolleyes: But delighted people have gotten involved to support it.

I really do hope they take my own submissions on board in relation to hedging it off from the roadside (as a noise barrier if nothing else). Be a very busy (and thus noisy) road to be walking on otherwise.

Was down on the oldbridge route over Christmas and they have installed lighting and tarred sections of it and cut back sections vegetation. Was going to head down today but it was closed and they look to be working on finishing it off as there was a tar truck there.

Interestingly I passed the playground and the car park was nearly full but not a single child in the playground. Some cheeky mares seem to be using it as a car park and heading for a bus to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LOU76

That’s been going on for years (it’s free parking at the playground so you get people parking there and heading in to town for shopping or a meal out). Consequently the playground is a no go for Drogheda people with young kids - very rarely is there a parking spot so why waste time going there. There’s always lots of parking at other playgrounds not too far away in Co. Meath.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Permission being sought for over 500 houses next to the existing boardwalk...

http://oldbridgedevelopment.com/

Permission granted according to the Drogheda Independent this week for 660 I think it was over 5 years with construction 6 days a week. I can see objections to this but doubt it will do any good.

There will also be strong objection to the ones on the march road I believe.

• Advertisement

Was down on the oldbridge route over Christmas and they have installed lighting and tarred sections of it and cut back sections vegetation. Was going to head down today but it was closed and they look to be working on finishing it off as there was a tar truck there.

Interestingly I passed the playground and the car park was nearly full but not a single child in the playground. Some cheeky mares seem to be using it as a car park and heading for a bus to work.

Is this finished and open yet do you know?

Is this finished and open yet do you know?

Oh yes, lovely job done. Buttery smooth and wider than before. Had the dog down along it, the kids on their bikes and then myself on the bike a few times now so as to skip the hill on rathmullen rd on my weekend spins out to Slane or Newgrange and beyond :D

Not sure about the lights though as I've not been around there in the evenings but it does have lights installed the whole why out now.

Oh yes, lovely job done. Buttery smooth and wider than before. Had the dog down along it, the kids on their bikes and then myself on the bike a few times now so as to skip the hill on rathmullen rd on my weekend spins out to Slane or Newgrange and beyond :D

Not sure about the lights though as I've not been around there in the evenings but it does have lights installed the whole why out now.

Lovely might take a spin tomorrow of the weather is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

For anyone who wants to contribute...

www.gofundme.com/challenge-the-rathmullan-road-housing-development

(not set up by me!)

Scotty # wrote: »
    For anyone who wants to contribute...

www.gofundme.com/challenge-the-rathmullan-road-housing-development

(not set up by me!)

I wonder could they do anything with the entrance/exits there. Perhaps a new road that goes from the estate directly to the M1.

This is what I've mocked up:

maps.jpg

The red area has already been zoned for development as far as I am aware and I believe the land either sold last year to a developer, or is getting ready to be sold. So the diggers will be trawling over it soon. A bit of joined-up thinking (a rare thing, I know!) would see that the estates being built beside the highlands would have an alternate exit point, over towards the retail park.

Marley's Lane really can't take any more traffic at peak time. Between it being a main route, and a major school route, it's suffocating at peak times.

The road in pink already exists, and should be due a major upgrade. This way people could exit from their 661 houses and houses beside the highlands, and instead of going directly to the boardwalk or the rathmullan road, they could optionally drive west to sheepgrange or south to the retail park/M1.

Any people living in these new houses (or existing houses in the area) that are planning to work north of Drogheda, ie Dundalk, Ardee, etc, are jocked. They'll be the ones that will have no choice but to sit in traffic all day.

When they re-did the area where the boardwalk is, the plan was to make it a one-way system until residents kicked up a fuss. I'd be fairly confident the one way system idea will be proposed again to try and deal with the levels of traffic that will now be using it.

The boardwalk will also suffer majorly from having a thousand new houses built on top of it. Will no doubt go from being a quiet, enjoyable amenity, to being an anti-social haven, in no time at all.

Still find it annoying that they are building approx 1,000 houses (with the same again due in future I'm sure) and IDA approved a massive jobless Amazon shed to go beside them. Something to look at on the commute to Dublin I suppose. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The land right of the red and above the green in your picture was in whole or at least part on the market last year or the year before if I recall , might have mentioned that hear already but the picture shows where exactly I mean.

Here is were my memory gets a little fuzzier I have it in my head it was zoned industrial at the time. Just happened to notice it in a property ad in the leader among other houses and sites for sale.

No idea what happened with the sale though.

It's quite staggering though seeing that, there are already house under construction there at the minute aand with this development they are effectively going to double the population and as a result traffic. If you work on the north side of town or beyond you'd be looking at heading along the river to avoid the center of town.

EDIT: They've started or at least moved containers in on the site beside Joe Duffy's on Donore Rd where 20 ish units will be built and are working on clearing the old Roadstone site at the other end of Donore Rd. fups could not be given regards traffic when permission for these places is granted.

It's quite staggering though seeing that, there are already house under construction there at the minute aand with this development they are effectively going to double the population and as a result traffic. If you work on the north side of town or beyond you'd be looking at heading along the river to avoid the center of town.

Well, I live in Rathmullan. My hope is that in the next decade, that rathmullan will gentrify a bit, and as Drogheda is effectively turned into Dublin Lite by then, the property prices might go up.

Then flog the house and buy a detached bungalow somewhere in rural Leitrim :D Live out my days in peace and quiet :o

EDIT: They've started or at least moved containers in on the site beside Joe Duffy's on Donore Rd where 20 ish units will be built

Where is this, out of curiousity? I can't picture it.

Well, I live in Rathmullan. My hope is that in the next decade, that rathmullan will gentrify a bit, and as Drogheda is effectively turned into Dublin Lite by then, the property prices might go up.

Then flog the house and buy a detached bungalow somewhere in rural Leitrim :D Live out my days in peace and quiet :o

Where is this, out of curiousity? I can't picture it.

As you are heading out of town towards the roundabout, on the right just before Joe Duffy autos. Between it and the existing houses Here

As you are heading out of town towards the roundabout, on the right just before Joe Duffy autos. Between it and the existing houses Here

Jesus, 20 houses in there? Traffic really is a legitimate afterthought isn't it.

At least it's close to a bus stop, I suppose.

I see the north side of the boyne, the green area there that's currently empty, is earmarked to be sold as a residential development site.

It's practically the entire greenspace that surrounds Anglo Printers, and goes west to the back of Boyne Meadow. That road (into the town, where Aldi is) is going to have to get some traffic lights or a roundabout installed. Mell is a disaster at the best of times. That said, presumably many of these cars will be finding their way to the M1 and so will go up the Retail Park direction instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

It's as if they have decided to ruin the the only nice thing in town by building houses all around it!

Venice on the Boyne!! :(

Makes you wonder how many will chance their arm at the fast track and get away with it and end up with unsuitable developments over the country. Glad to see this fail and the one on the Marsh Rd but there have been other crazy applications in recent times like out the old Slane Rd, Trinity Gardens and that tower they wanted to build at the B&B off Trinity St.

Was down Rathmullen Rd on the bike this week where they are currently building the estate on the left as you head to the river, they have 3 out buildings like shdes at the front of the estate that I have no idea what they are for? Communal laundry facility? If you could drive /walk into the estate they are like sheds with large glass windows as you head in on the right.

Was down Rathmullen Rd on the bike this week where they are currently building the estate on the left as you head to the river, they have 3 out buildings like shdes at the front of the estate that I have no idea what they are for? Communal laundry facility? If you could drive /walk into the estate they are like sheds with large glass windows as you head in on the right.
    Wondered about them too. I presume they are sales offices that will be removed once sales are complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Hi, I've created a new page about the Boyne Greenway, check it out here: http://navancycling.ie/greenways/theboynegreenway/

• Advertisement

Nice piece, hopefully it comes to fruition. The other piece you had on there re: the Navan to Kingscourt route was a great read also.

I managed to walk (and later bike) up to Newgrange Visitor Center in last few weeks. It's not too muddy except for one or two short patches up to Staleen lock. The 1-2km section from Staleen lock to Newgrange Visitor center have been developed into a beautiful walk.

Absolutely tranquil, an absolute treat to the mind and spirit!

positron wrote: »
    I managed to walk (and later bike) up to Newgrange Visitor Center in last few weeks. It's not too muddy except for one or two short patches up to Staleen lock. The 1-2km section from Staleen lock to Newgrange Visitor center have been developed into a beautiful walk.

Shhhh!! Don't be tellin' people! It's a secret!

I walk it a few times a week and sometimes twice in the same day. Rarely will you bump into more than one or two people once you're upstream of Glenmore House.

This was about 9am last weekend...

IMG-20210501-091457.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

positron wrote: »

What is the distance walking from oldbridge house to newgrange?

5.47km (3.4 miles) from Obelesk Bridge to just beyond Newgrange Visitor Centre which is as far as you can go. As Positron warned, some small sections are quite muddy.

If you are planning on running it, I would suggest wearing long / football socks - plenty of nettles.

It's a great walk, and one well worth making imo. It can get everso muddy, though. This was on a good day

553636.jpg

• Advertisement

I'd imagine it will run along the rear of the golf course there and up to the Maiden Tower?

2 million though ? 1 million a kilometre.

Advertisement