Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Jamie Oliver opening in Dundrum - job vacancies here: http://www.jamieoliver.com/italian/ireland/vacancies

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anyone wrote: »
    What if the alternative is empty/vacant buildings? Every business in Dalkey is suffering and a street where there is an empty shop every 50 meters will affect them even more.

Just to give an idea of the franchise/brand names already in Dalkey. Paddypower,O'Briens,Borza,Sherry Fitz,AIB,Euro Spar, EBS, Ulster Bank, Topaz. So theres already plenty there, and I dont think they "spoil" the feel of Dalkey.

lets remove the banks. Topaz is off the main street so remove them, Borza isnt a franchise or large multiple so remove that.

now your left with a shop, off licence and bookie and estate agents.

Paddypower,O'Briens,Sherry Fitz,Euro Spar,

Eddie rockets, starbucks etc don't fall into any of the categories that the ones listed above do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

ted1 wrote: »
    lets remove the banks. Topaz is off the main street so remove them, Borza isnt a franchise or large multiple so remove that.

Eddie rockets, starbucks etc don't fall into any of the categories that the ones listed above do.

Hang on, why exclude them? They are all franchise's and chains. You neglected to comment on my first point as well. That Dalkey currently has an excess of vacant and empty shops. The longer they are empty, the worse things will get.

Dalkey's location is against it, you dont pass through Dalkey to go anywhere, so unless there are shops/pubs/restaurants to get people to visit Dalkey more shops will close.

there excluded by the nature of the business...

having franchises will do more damage to the village, as you said
    Dalkey's location is against it, you dont pass through Dalkey to go anywhere, so unless there are shops/pubs/restaurants to get people to visit Dalkey more shops will close.

Dalkey is indeed a destination people go to by choice as oppose pass through, the fact that it has small shops that are not else where is what makes it a destination. if it had the same mix as other locations then the attration as a destination is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭RMC10

I just realised today that my favourite restaurant has closed :(. A staple in Monkstown for 20 years!

Does anyone have any idea why it closed? I was only there about a month ago and it was always busy even on a random mid-week night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Sorry, but I fail to see the difference between the two lists. Is an Irish bookmakers a more desirable or up-scale business than an international fast food outlet?

Paddypower and Eurospar outlets represent the height of generic high-street and small town mediocrity in Ireland. I've rarely seen either company make reasonable attempts to make their outlets blend in with the surrounding streetscape. O'Briens chain of wineshops don't exactly have a "local" feel to them either - far better examples of real local wineshops in Ranelagh and Monkstown.

RMC10 wrote: »
    I just realised today that my favourite restaurant has closed :(. A staple in Monkstown for 20 years!

Does anyone have any idea why it closed? I was only there about a month ago and it was always busy even on a random mid-week night!
    They lost to much buisness to salt/avoca and were forced to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Speaking of Monkstown, there's a new 'garden' shop down where the equipment hire place was, just at the end of the string of shops heading towards DL. It was closed when I passed by the other evening. They get bonus points for flying Leinster flags.

It's called Howbert & Mays. Their website is here - http://www.dyg.ie

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Palmer's Golden Ball Tavern in Kilternan closed its doors for the last time on Sunday night... a sad day for the whole area. The Golden Ball had experienced a renaissance in recent times, becoming a thriving music venue, with Aslan and Bagatelle being live staples.

However, this was not enough to save the Golden Ball, as it entered receivership at the behest of a foreign bank and was closed down.

RIP Palmers Golden Ball Tavern...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

DazMarz wrote: »
    Palmer's Golden Ball Tavern in Kilternan closed its doors for the last time on Sunday night... a sad day for the whole area. The Golden Ball had experienced a renaissance in recent times, becoming a thriving music venue, with Aslan and Bagatelle being live staples.

However, this was not enough to save the Golden Ball, as it entered receivership at the behest of a foreign bank and was closed down.

RIP Palmers Golden Ball Tavern...:(

No way! I remember I used to go to Palmer's Golden Ball (Then Coopers) around the Christmas period for their American Rack Of Ribs when I was small as a treat after walking the mountains. Despite living in Dalkey, I will always treasure my memories of Palmer's.

• Advertisement

I remember dropping into Golden Ball for a warmer-upper after a hearty Christmas period walk up the mountains as well.

Incidentally, it seems that Lost Weekend in Blackrock has gone into receivership. They were mentioned earlier in the thread as an opening I think.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Dalkey is indeed a destination people go to by choice as oppose pass through, the fact that it has small shops that are not else where is what makes it a destination. if it had the same mix as other locations then the attration as a destination is removed.

The only thing that lures me to Dalkey is Country Bake and thats it. I used to go to Starbucks and The Castle when they were there. I drive through it regularly, but there is nothing there that warrants me to park and shop.

Your idea of Dalkey as a "destination" is laughable. What exactly makes it a destination? There are other small towns with various non chain businesses that I would rather go to. Dalkey is overrated, but thats just my opinion.

benwavner wrote: »
    The only thing that lures me to Dalkey is Country Bake and thats it. I used to go to Starbucks and The Castle when they were there. I drive through it regularly, but there is nothing there that warrants me to park and shop.

Your idea of Dalkey as a "destination" is laughable. What exactly makes it a destination? There are other small towns with various non chain businesses that I would rather go to. Dalkey is overrated, but thats just my opinion.
    we'll just have to agree to differ. For me and my social circle, there is a great draw to dalkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The following two quotes say it all:

1. Anyone wrote: »
      Hang on, why exclude them? They are all franchise's and chains. You neglected to comment on my first point as well. That Dalkey currently has an excess of vacant and empty shops. The longer they are empty, the worse things will get.Dalkey's location is against it, you dont pass through Dalkey to go anywhere, so unless there are shops/pubs/restaurants to get people to visit Dalkey more shops will close.
    2. benwavner wrote: »
      The only thing that lures me to Dalkey is Country Bake and thats it. I used to go to Starbucks and The Castle when they were there. I drive through it regularly, but there is nothing there that warrants me to park and shop. Your idea of Dalkey as a "destination" is laughable. What exactly makes it a destination? There are other small towns with various non chain businesses that I would rather go to. Dalkey is overrated, but thats just my opinion.
    As Anyone just pointed out, Dalkey is not a location on the way to anywhere nor is it a hub. Dalkey is an example of a town that is rapidly dying with the increasing number of vacant retail units. I do appreciate local organizations such as the Dalkey Business Group trying to create a common brand for the businesses in the village core. However, a lot the information they often convey is a re-iteration of what is already known about the area. While I frequently enjoy and am lucky to live near the various amenities in Dalkey, I don't think they give people a proper incentive to go to the town. To put it another way, Dalkey isn't a place where many would do all their shopping or spend any longer than an hour at.

I completely agree with benwavner that "Dalkey is overrated". As a long living Dalkey resident myself, I think the area is extremely mundane. Each time I walk through Dalkey, it's the same old place and becomes very repetitive like Groundhog Day. Even when a retail unit undergoes a massive change, the novelty wears off after a couple of months. In fact, Dalkey has become very stale. Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council certainly aren't helping with their over policing of parking arrangements, architectural conservation areas, traffic calming measures etc. The main roads which feed into Dalkey are an absolute joke because a lot of them are too tight and not forgetting the recent job done to Killiney Towers Roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

we'll just have to agree to differ. For me and my social circle, there is a great draw to dalkey.

Dont get me wrong, Im not out to slate Dalkey. My father hails from there and I have relations in Dalkey whom I regularly spend time with. Im there at least every two weeks. I live less than 3 miles away myself. I drink there every now and again and my social circle also frequent the area.

My stance is that, in fact it is not a destination. Parking is an issue and also there is nothing there to bring people into the area. Unfortunately for me, the area gives off an aura of "look at me im in Dalkey, im up my own ass" instead of "lets go to Dalkey, it has a quaint laid back relaxing atmosphere, lets visit their many epicurean establishments".

I just wish it was as good in reality as it is in ideals.

Oh, Centra has re opened on Johnstown Road.

Can we leave the Dalkey rocks/Dalkey sucks debate for a different thread and stick with the title - openings & closings in South Dublin ? It was a handy thread when it focused on this area.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Does anyone know when the Killiney Hill tea room will be opening?

Fair play to the guys building it, they have managed to cram six weeks work into six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Marley wine shop has unfortunately closed on the grange road in rathfarnham - it was excellent but no doubt just couldn't complete with the deals offered by centra and lidl.

Apparently a large home store and more is going in beside the new lidl on nutgrove avenue - where homebase used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Dalkey has a lot of tourist potential as the Dalkey Castle offers a wonderful small-castle authentic and historical tour. I always recommend it as a fun outing by Dart for visitors to Dublin.

If the town had a bit more to offer and maintained a quaint and unique main/high street (fewer chain stores), it will attract more tourists. I also believe some people head there hoping to catch a glimpse of its famous residents like Bono :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

AutoFair Kill ave moving their display cars out this afternoon, premises empty by evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Very disappointed to see Little Ass Buritos's in Rathmines close it's doors. It was in a bit of a weird place so was kind of inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Lets see what damage the recession is doing or if many new businesses have managed to open during these hard times.
    New openings of businesses around you, closures of businesses around you?
    New openings I saw recently-
    Mini golf dundrum,
    pandora dundrum,
    gourmet grill Rathmines,
    mr.simms sweet shop opening rathmines soon.
    calendar club nutgrove,
    mr bs arcade nutgrove,
    trespass nutgrove,
    dwarka indian takeaway rathmines,
    paco nutgrove,
    3 store nutgrove,
    macari fish and chips, braemor
    smiles dental dundrum
    new restaurant to open in dundrum soon.
    kids charity shop in dundrum
    best barber shop,dundrum

closures
    pizza hut rathgar
    spar rathgar
    chinese takeaway rathgar
    gamestop rathmines
    zumo swan centre,

all i can think of for now, whats happening around you.:)
    Eddie rockets closed in nutgrove too also the book shop and McKenna man and First boutique

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Gone a couple of weeks by now. The Fiat showroom that was formerly Esmonde ford and prior Victor motors Goatstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Clanket wrote: »
    Very disappointed to see Little Ass Buritos's in Rathmines close it's doors. It was in a bit of a weird place so was kind of inevitable

They moved to Dawson St, near St. Stephen's Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

A much better place for them. I'll have to drop in next time I'm in town

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Clanket wrote: »

But it was almost always busy whenever I passed it, was very surprised to see it go, nice little place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Shirley's Kitchen Chinese Takeaway in Templeogue Village is closed now. I ate from there only a few weeks ago and it was very nice??

Manifesto in Rathmines are opening up Manifestino in Rathgar where the Pizza Hut used to be. Not sure yet what whether its going to be a restaurant like Manifesto or a takeaway maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

highly1111 wrote: »
    Marley wine shop has unfortunately closed on the grange road in rathfarnham - it was excellent but no doubt just couldn't complete with the deals offered by centra and lidl.

Apparently a large home store and more is going in beside the new lidl on nutgrove avenue - where homebase used to be.

Sorry prob misread that thought Homebase was closed down but you meant where it used to be across the road

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Luckycharm wrote: »
    highly1111 wrote: »

When did Homebase close down always found it much better value then Woodies or the other stores.

Homebase relocated to the new set of shops beside aldi, Harry corry etc on Nutgrove avenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

New Thai takeaway/restaurant open a couple of weeks in Rathmines beside the Lidl called Camile. Seems to be a glut of these type of Thai places open now all serving the same style food: Saba to Go, Diep, Kanum, Neon.
    Maybe Thai takeaways are taking over from the waning Chinese influence?

Advertisement