Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hong Kong- Experiences?

Options
  • 23-03-2011 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently planning a RTW trip for early next year and am thinking that instead of coming back to Ireland, I could work abroad for a while. Oz doesn't really appeal to me and have heard great things about Hong Kong. The thought of working in Asia for a while is really exciting. I work in Financial Services and have a few years of business consulting experience.

Has anyone here lived and worked in HK? If so, what did you think? How easy or difficult is it for an expat to get set up there?

Any help and/or advice, you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Hey there

I'm currently living in Hong Kong and it's a great place. As regards jobs there is plenty of job opportunities, especially for people with qualifications and experience. The language barrier is not a problem as most people have at least rudimentary english skills and in business english is spoken generally across the board. There is a large ex-pat community and in general you will find them welcoming.

As an Irish citizen you can come over to Hong Kong without a Visa for up to 90 days. If you get a job during that time most companies will have no problem sponsoring you for a visa. One great aspect of the HK visa is that it is not tied to the company who sponsored you, so once you're in, you're in and dont have to worry should you wish to change jobs. To activate your visa you have to leave the HKSAR and re-enter (as technically you cant get a visa issued while you're here) though this is easily done by taking a ferry to Macau and back. Furthermore if you're young and qualified and dont get a job in the first 90 days, they will allow you to go to Macau and come back for a fresh 90 day run.

There are a few things to watch out for though. Renting an apartment anywhere near central HK is very expensive and apartments here are generally quite small. On the other hand the cost of living is very low. There are a few other money matters that you should be prepared for before you come over.

When people here talk about rates of pay they tell you the rate in HDK per month, so when someone says they earn 25,000 that means per month. When applying for jobs here though companies do not list the rate of pay instead you must tell them your expected salary. Ex-pats (or gweilos as they're know here) will generall get a slightly higher rate of pay in entry to mid level jobs. This is because it is slightly more expensive for ex-pats to live here for many reasons. Locals tend to live at home for much longer where ex-pats obviously do not have that option. Furthermore locals can buy food and other things very cheap at local markets where ex-pats sometimes pay "skin tax" prices. Though this does happen it's really not as bad as it sounds and things in the local markets are still exceptionally cheap.

Another thing to consider is that you may actually take a pay cut if you move here. Not a significant one but again for entry/mid level positions you tend to get less money for the same job in europe. However, the spending power you get with your money over here is much greater than in Ireland so in essence you may earn less but it can buy you more.

Tax here is strange, it's very low and you only pay it one month in the year in a lump sum. However, the first year you work you must pay double tax. This is because in HK you actually pay tax for the year ahead and not the current year, except for your first tax payment which is current and next years tax. One upshot of this is that if they miscalculate your potential earnings for next year you get a rebate and also if you leave HK you are entitled to claim back the tax you payed for the year ahead.

Apart from all those formalities, HK is an exciting city. There's always things to do no matter what time of the day or night. If NY is the city that never sleeps HK is the city that never even rests. Outside the city though there are tons of other places you can go to chill. Islands, Nature reserves, stunning beaches, whatever you're into. It's something I cant wrap my head around that although HK is the same size as Longford (I **** you not) it's got a stunning breath of diversity and if you're willing to leave the bars in Wan Chai behind (sometimes VERY tough) you can really find some incredible places.

I guess that wall of text is all I can think of for now. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I would say though that you'll probably get more and better informed replys in places like geoexpat in the HK forum.

Best of luck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

thanks so much for this... it's so useful. always best to hear peoples experiences first hand.

Now i just have to make a decision :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What would a typical teacher's salary be in Hong Kong and how much of that could one save?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

on the net scheme 25 to 50 depending on experience and qual

for esl 10 to 18

what u save depends on how much u want to spend on an apartment

• Advertisement

I presume NET means Native English Teacher?

Is that someone who works in the public school system and has a Hong Kong teacher in the classroom with them, as in Korea? Or does the Foreign teacher teach on their own?

How much would a basic but clean apartment be in a decent area? And say, a bite to eat in a casual place?

Thanks for the info.

NET is a scheme that puts licensed teachers in public schools in Hong Kong,
    Competition for these places is tough, and you're made jump through many many hoops..

The cheapest place to eat is Mcdonalds or a sandwich from 7/11, a main course will cost ya 100hkd upwards elsewhere, a pint costs about 60, basic apartment would be 5000pm in kowloon or 10000pm on hong kong island.

Thanks Daithi.

Ok, so take an apartment for 8,000. And a salary of 25,000.

That leaves 17000 minus taxes.

How much of that could be saved? Say 1 night drinking every second weekend.

providing u can get a job, and only go out that little, and cook at home everyday, u can save 50-75% of your salary after u have paid for your apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭whykay

You can also rent in the New Territories (N.T.). It's further out from Kowloon and HK Island, but the public transportation there are really exceptional. The trains are every few minutes and gets you in and out. Buses are cheaper, take longer though. Only drawback, as I said, is that it's a bit further out, it takes about 40 minutes from Kowloon to Tai Po (where I would stay when I go to HK).

I've noticed more expats moving to the N.T. as rent is cheaper and the air is less polluted. It's definitely less humid than being in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

legologic wrote: »
    Hey there

I'm currently living in Hong Kong and it's a great place. As regards jobs there is plenty of job opportunities, especially for people with qualifications and experience. The language barrier is not a problem as most people have at least rudimentary english skills and in business english is spoken generally across the board. There is a large ex-pat community and in general you will find them welcoming.

As an Irish citizen you can come over to Hong Kong without a Visa for up to 90 days. If you get a job during that time most companies will have no problem sponsoring you for a visa. One great aspect of the HK visa is that it is not tied to the company who sponsored you, so once you're in, you're in and dont have to worry should you wish to change jobs. To activate your visa you have to leave the HKSAR and re-enter (as technically you cant get a visa issued while you're here) though this is easily done by taking a ferry to Macau and back. Furthermore if you're young and qualified and dont get a job in the first 90 days, they will allow you to go to Macau and come back for a fresh 90 day run.

There are a few things to watch out for though. Renting an apartment anywhere near central HK is very expensive and apartments here are generally quite small. On the other hand the cost of living is very low. There are a few other money matters that you should be prepared for before you come over.

When people here talk about rates of pay they tell you the rate in HDK per month, so when someone says they earn 25,000 that means per month. When applying for jobs here though companies do not list the rate of pay instead you must tell them your expected salary. Ex-pats (or gweilos as they're know here) will generall get a slightly higher rate of pay in entry to mid level jobs. This is because it is slightly more expensive for ex-pats to live here for many reasons. Locals tend to live at home for much longer where ex-pats obviously do not have that option. Furthermore locals can buy food and other things very cheap at local markets where ex-pats sometimes pay "skin tax" prices. Though this does happen it's really not as bad as it sounds and things in the local markets are still exceptionally cheap.

Another thing to consider is that you may actually take a pay cut if you move here. Not a significant one but again for entry/mid level positions you tend to get less money for the same job in europe. However, the spending power you get with your money over here is much greater than in Ireland so in essence you may earn less but it can buy you more.

Tax here is strange, it's very low and you only pay it one month in the year in a lump sum. However, the first year you work you must pay double tax. This is because in HK you actually pay tax for the year ahead and not the current year, except for your first tax payment which is current and next years tax. One upshot of this is that if they miscalculate your potential earnings for next year you get a rebate and also if you leave HK you are entitled to claim back the tax you payed for the year ahead.

Apart from all those formalities, HK is an exciting city. There's always things to do no matter what time of the day or night. If NY is the city that never sleeps HK is the city that never even rests. Outside the city though there are tons of other places you can go to chill. Islands, Nature reserves, stunning beaches, whatever you're into. It's something I cant wrap my head around that although HK is the same size as Longford (I **** you not) it's got a stunning breath of diversity and if you're willing to leave the bars in Wan Chai behind (sometimes VERY tough) you can really find some incredible places.

I guess that wall of text is all I can think of for now. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I would say though that you'll probably get more and better informed replys in places like geoexpat in the HK forum.

Best of luck anyway!

Hey mate, I'm in Shanghai at the moment. You ever been there? How would you compare the 2 cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Brokentime wrote: »
    Hey mate, I'm in Shanghai at the moment. You ever been there? How would you compare the 2 cities?

Completely different for me anyway.

Shanghai is a colossal place, HK is relatively tiny.

I (personally) always felt that Shanghai was a bit of a heartless place. Actually you could say that about many big Chinese cities but I felt that Shanghai was a place with a lot of action but not much soul.

HK on the other hand is one of my favourite cities on earth, and I've always found it to be a very warm place, easy to make friends.
    ( though other people seem to think the exact opposite, and say that HKers are materialistic or only care about money etc etc.....so guess your mileage may vary)

/personal opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Lanaier wrote: »
    Completely different for me anyway.

Shanghai is a colossal place, HK is relatively tiny.

I (personally) always felt that Shanghai was a bit of a heartless place. Actually you could say that about many big Chinese cities but I felt that Shanghai was a place with a lot of action but not much soul.

HK on the other hand is one of my favourite cities on earth, and I've always found it to be a very warm place, easy to make friends.
    ( though other people seem to think the exact opposite, and say that HKers are materialistic or only care about money etc etc.....so guess your mileage may vary)

/personal opinion.

Shanghai people get the same rap, with the whole 'materialistic' thing. It's that kinda place, though; almost completely influenced by rampant American consumerism, so....

It is kinda nice here, though, and the place grows on me week by week. I'm settling down more and accepting my life here.

Would love a move to HK in the future, though.

What do you do there?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭simonsez

Hi all,

I'm currently planning a RTW trip for early next year and am thinking that instead of coming back to Ireland, I could work abroad for a while. Oz doesn't really appeal to me and have heard great things about Hong Kong. The thought of working in Asia for a while is really exciting. I work in Financial Services and have a few years of business consulting experience.

Has anyone here lived and worked in HK? If so, what did you think? How easy or difficult is it for an expat to get set up there?

Any help and/or advice, you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

its like London but with Chinese script on buildings instead of roman script.skyscrapers and most folk speak English. If you want to stick to western lifestyle and food its perfect.

:)

Historically an Irish Viceroy back in the day is regarded as being a major factor in the Initial growth of HK. Hennessy , he allowed the Chinese denizens have rights with property and didnt like the way they were treated, Naturally he wsnt popular with his fellow European imperialists.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

im nearly convince here hk sounds amazing, im fast approaching 31year old so i need to make a decision here, i was thinking about canada but ive till 36 to go there. is there much paper work to get a whv for hk, also im a welder not by trade but have about 2 1/2 years experience welding/fabricating. what money would i be on a month over there and also is there much work there for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭d_jordan

I'm a personal trainer and just wanted to know if anyone has experience working in the fitness industry while in hong kong?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 discodowney

Hey, Im gonna be visiting Hong Kong for a few days in September, just booking my accommodation now and wondering where is the best place to stay so that im not too far from good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Hey, Im gonna be visiting Hong Kong for a few days in September, just booking my accommodation now and wondering where is the best place to stay so that im not too far from good stuff

Kowloon is very central, if you're on a tight budget your best bet would be chuking mansion on Nathans road in kowloon but its a bit of a dump and you'll have people constantly selling you crap like suits and watches just outside.

The gold coast hotel is very nice but a little far out, also I think the gold coast hotel does a free shuttle service to Kowloon and a lot better value than a hotel more central

Hong Kong has a great metro system so you can really get anywhere from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bharr

Hi

I'm in the running for a job in HK and wondering if anyone has more recent info on HK, especially finding an apartment.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Currently exploring the idea of moving to Hong Kong for employment. All the posts & stories here make it sound so appealing.

Is it still the same as when the original posts are from? Surely there must be some bad things too, just to equate the debate.

Is the Visa process difficult, for a young professional with a degree & a few years experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 TheDalioLama

FitzShane wrote: »
    Currently exploring the idea of moving to Hong Kong for employment. All the posts & stories here make it sound so appealing.

Is it still the same as when the original posts are from? Surely there must be some bad things too, just to equate the debate.

Is the Visa process difficult, for a young professional with a degree & a few years experience?

Bumping this post as I'm also interested in the above questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

I lived in Hong Kong for a year. This was 2 and half years ago but I have visited since and still have friends there.

There really isn't too many cons to living in Hong Kong. One thing that is very annoying is accommodation. It can be ludicrously expensive, and for sweet f**k all!! You can remedy this by moving outside the city a bit but even then its not great. Estate agents are a pain in the ass too. If you're not too fussy you'll be fine though...depends on your wage too. I also found supermarkets to be quite expensive (especially for 'western' items. Again, this kind of depends on where you shop but in general it's not great. In saying that, you can get some lovely local food relatively cheap and the markets are great for meat/veg/fruit etc.

Not really a problem per se but if you are not from a city or have never lived in one Hong Kong could be quite overwhelming. So many buildings, people, vehicles packed into such a small place...it can take some getting used to. I loved that aspect of it though. Pollution isn't as bad as parts of China, but is noticeable (less so the more you move away from the city).

I think all the pros have been mentioned, and I agree. Plenty to see and do, you will never get bored. The only advice (and its just my opinion) I would give is make sure you are on at LEAST 20,000 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭k974

I lived in Hong Kong for a year. This was 2 and half years ago but I have visited since and still have friends there.

There really isn't too many cons to living in Hong Kong. One thing that is very annoying is accommodation. It can be ludicrously expensive, and for sweet f**k all!! You can remedy this by moving outside the city a bit but even then its not great. Estate agents are a pain in the ass too. If you're not too fussy you'll be fine though...depends on your wage too. I also found supermarkets to be quite expensive (especially for 'western' items. Again, this kind of depends on where you shop but in general it's not great. In saying that, you can get some lovely local food relatively cheap and the markets are great for meat/veg/fruit etc.

Not really a problem per se but if you are not from a city or have never lived in one Hong Kong could be quite overwhelming. So many buildings, people, vehicles packed into such a small place...it can take some getting used to. I loved that aspect of it though. Pollution isn't as bad as parts of China, but is noticeable (less so the more you move away from the city).

I think all the pros have been mentioned, and I agree. Plenty to see and do, you will never get bored. The only advice (and its just my opinion) I would give is make sure you are on at LEAST 20,000 a month.

I'm
    Looking to find work in Hong Kong , last 12 years in australia and need a change . Any recommendations on where to look?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Well, what kind of work would you be looking for?

Advertisement