Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on second monitor

Options
  • 06-08-2020 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

laptop1 - 1 x hdmi

laptop2 - 1 x vga, 1 x hdmi, 2 x thunderbolt(usb c)

monitor - 1 x vga, 1 x display port, 20 inch, 1920x1080

I'm looking for advice with regards to getting a second monitor that will run with both laptops and my current monitor.
    I want a monitor that is the physically the same size as the current one, but am flexible on resolution.

Both laptops currently use a HDMI to VGA adaptor to connect to the monitor.

Just to be clear - only one laptop will be used at any one time, but I want both laptops to be able to connect to my current monitor AND a new second monitor.

There are so many options, but no doubt, I will need some kind of adaptor for whatever setup I end up with.
    How would you go about working this out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

My setup is very similar with yours, but I have 24in monitors with 1440p resolution, with HDMI and DP inputs (Dell P2418D).

I have a work laptop, which has only HDMI connection, and it is connected to one monitor via HDMI cable.

When I close the lid of this laptop, I can place my Macbook on top, and connect to both monitors via miniDP-to-DP cables.
    You would obviously need USB-C to DP cables for the second laptop, and connect on DP inputs for both old and new monitor.

I don't know if I could recommend a 20in monitor to match your existing one, but most new monitors will have HDMI and DP inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I was investigating something similar as my laptop's screen is very small (10') so it was uncomfortable to use it as one of the 2 screens (hence I needed 2 screens, so the size would be similar.

I ended up getting an ultrawide monitor (21x9 ratio) what is very much the width of 2 screens together. I love it. That could be an option unless you need not to have both screens next to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

MargeS wrote: »

Both laptops currently use a HDMI to VGA adaptor to connect to the monitor.

VGA is worse quality than HDMI and display port. Stop using VGA. Use HDMI and get a Display port to HDMI adapter.

Most things have HDMI (going forward) but not everything has display ports. So HDMI is the more common.

Display ports are better than HDMI if you are looking for the best quality. It's not that simple, but in general terms that's true.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/hdmi-vs-displayport-which-is-best-for-4k-hd-and-gaming-monitors/

Advertisement