Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ugly concrete doorstep suggestions.

Options
  • 06-08-2020 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭

The original doorstep to our front door was tiled, but three children and their associate pram rides over it subsequently wrecked it. We got it removed and just a concrete step put in its place a couple of years ago.

I'm going to be re-varnishing the front door and door frame next weekend and was thinking of doing something with the doorstep too.

I've seen that there is doorstep paint but I have to wonder how hardy it is and whether it gets very slippy in the wet?

Anyone have any advice on this, leave alone or something else?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Can you retile it?
    Would you want to?

THe correct tiles laid correctly should last a very long time, if the old ones cracked there must have been voids underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Have a look at the frenchic fan forum on Facebook. You can use their al fresco range for outdoor steps. Some people have done amazing jobs with stencilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

GreeBo wrote: »
    Can you retile it?
    Would you want to?

THe correct tiles laid correctly should last a very long time, if the old ones cracked there must have been voids underneath.

I suppose I could but the old ones are long gone, besides the new step is a different height anyhow. I've never tiled anything but would give it a go if the result looked nice, I'll have a youtube :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have a look at the frenchic fan forum on Facebook. You can use their al fresco range for outdoor steps. Some people have done amazing jobs with stencilling.

Thanks, will have a look at that, not on Facebook but I'm sure I can find it on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Supercell wrote: »
    I suppose I could but the old ones are long gone, besides the new step is a different height anyhow. I've never tiled anything but would give it a go if the result looked nice, I'll have a youtube :)

Ah yeah, I mean with new ones.
    you can get millions of types of Edwardian tile, the sort of stuff you see around dublin redbricks that survived decades.

• Advertisement
Advertisement