Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grout

Options
  • 06-08-2020 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Put new floor tiles down last week when I was grouting them the colour of grout blended in nicely with the tiles, but now it looks to light
    Is there anything I can do, like say go over them again with a darker grout but I think I know the answer to that
    Something I’m not prepared to do is rip out all the grout, thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

It will darken naturally over time with dirt but maybe somewhat inconsistent in colour. Cementitious grout is absorbent so you could seal the tiles/grout while they're clean/consistent with a wet look sealer that should darken the grout depending on it's natural colour.
    Going over again with a darker grout won't work as they're won't be enough depth for it to bind.
    What grout and colour did you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

a grout pen in darker colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

It will darken naturally over time with dirt but maybe somewhat inconsistent in colour. Cementitious grout is absorbent so you could seal the tiles/grout while they're clean/consistent with a wet look sealer that should darken the grout depending on it's natural colour.
    Going over again with a darker grout won't work as they're won't be enough depth for it to bind.
    What grout and colour did you use.

TGS grout, it says light grey but it looks more like white, might try the sealer on a test patch and see how it looks, can you recommend any?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

tenreds wrote: »
    TGS grout, it says light grey but it looks more like white, might try the sealer on a test patch and see how it looks, can you recommend any?
    Thanks

Afraid not, I've only used Lithofin FZ Impregnator but that leaves an invisible seal so unlikely to affect your grout colour. You'd ideally need a gloss or wet look sealer but then you also need to be careful not to make the tiles slippery.
    If you wet the grout at present does it transform to the desired colour, that would be the effect of the appropriate sealer.

Advertisement