Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming rig

Options
  • 07-08-2020 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Was planning on building a gaming rig to play vr, maybe some 4k, I was waiting for the new nvidia cards to be released. But recently won a rig. Just wondering if its over kill. And to sell and build something cheaper?
    Spec:
    Msi B450 gaming Pro carbon max
    Corsair vengeance rgb Pro 32gb ddr4 3600
    Gigabyte AORUS p850 smart fan gold plus
    AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5GHz 16 Core
    Liquid cool vortex one 240mm liquid cooling
    Samsung u28h750 4k monitor.
    Plus gaming keyboard/mouse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That's some win!

Ryzen 9-3950X should be ok on that motherboard at stock settings.
    But for gaming it's overkill.
    An idea would be to put the CPU up for sale, e.g. €650-700 or straight-swap for 3800X + €300/350 cash, and use that money for a GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭monster1

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    That's some win!

Ryzen 9-3950X should be ok on that motherboard at stock settings.
    But for gaming it's overkill.
    An idea would be to put the CPU up for sale, e.g. €650-700 or straight-swap for 3800X + €300/350 cash, and use that money for a GPU.
    Sorry thought I added the gpu. There is a Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 Super.
    Yeah I was thinking the CPU is overkill. Might sell that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

If selling the cpu then do it fairly soon because next gen AMD processors will be out soon and I'd expect that'll reduce value of the 3000 series

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

To be honest given you won it, I would just keep it. It's a super high end machine and there's nothing in it worth changing until new Nvidia cards are released later this year, if even then.

The 2080 Super alone is a £700 card.

If you want to play VR and in 4K, there's not much point building something cheaper. Sure, you could get a few hundred euro back by selling the 3950X and getting a Ryzen 3600, but I would say in a case where the PC was essentially free, it's not all that worth the hassle.

Thanks for that. Would it be worth selling the 2080 now before new cards come out? Then get the new one? Like would the 2080 lose much value when the new ones are announced?
    I Don't mind waiting for a month or 2.
    I haven't received the rig yet anyway.
    Cheers for the help lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That's some rig to win. Where did you win it?

I'd sell the cpu and card. You won't need a cpu like that for gaming for a long ass time, and by the time you do they will be cheaper and faster, and it's currently worth a lot even second hand. I reckon the 20 series cards value will drop a fair bit when the new cards arrive.

While the new cards might not be much faster for normal rendering I think the ray tracing performance is going to be a lot better making the 20 series pretty redundant.

BloodBath wrote: »
    That's some rig to win. Where did you win it?

I'd sell the cpu and card. You won't need a cpu like that for gaming for a long ass time, and by the time you do they will be cheaper and faster, and it's currently worth a lot even second hand. I reckon the 20 series cards value will drop a fair bit when the new cards arrive.

While the new cards might not be much faster for normal rendering I think the ray tracing performance is going to be a lot better making the 20 series pretty redundant.

I won it on that rkings competions page. I assume the computer will come pre built. I'm looking to really dive into vr, the new cards would be better? Would the 2080 be good enough? It's a Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 super.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's a great card but it's still worth a lot second hand and the new cards are launching in a month or 2 which should blow them out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

Of course it would. It's a high-end £700 graphics card.

Most people have £200 graphics cards in their PC's and they still run most new games at 1080p high/ultra settings for comparison.

You have to remember, selling the card on, you'll only get 2nd hand price for it.

Will the price you get 2nd hand buy you a significantly faster card in a few months? Probably not - will likely get you a card that's conventionally a bit faster, though will likely have much improved Ray Tracing ability.

If you really want to go down the road of selling parts, you might as well sell the whole PC and build a new one closer to the end of the year with latest generation parts.

Thanks. Been thinking about it and I think I will keep the lot, and maybe upgrade the graphics card when the new ones are out.
    Was looking at a valve index but don't seem to be got anywhere.
    What's the. Next best to the index?
    Oh and this is the rig that I won
    https://m.facebook.com/arcadianIT/posts/2831885833706663?d=m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Very nice win! I'd agree with those saying to just keep it, with the option to downgrade the CPU. I can't imagine the next generation of graphics, even with improved ray tracing are going to be that much better than a 2080 SUPER.

Next best to the index is the HTC Vive. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/htc-vive-pro-full-kit-hd-vr-headset-updated-controllers-and-2.0-base-stations-bundle-vr-00p-hc.html

Oculus have a new version, but it's more of a sideways upgrade from the CV1 as it just changed the tracking to cameras rather than outside sensors. Great if space is a premium: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/oculus-rift-s-virtual-reality-system-vr-headset-and-touch-controllers-vr-00b-or.html

If that's too much of an investment, then look at second hand Oculus Rift CV1 or HTC Vive (just make sure the controllers are included and all the sensors). Just make sure to pick up a new foam insert for the headset for hygiene reasons.
    Rift: https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_oculus+rift/
    Vive: https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_htc+vive/

The other options are mostly mixed reality headsets, which are fine, but less immersive. 2kilksphilip ran through the available options here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMFXJRLV9o

Just have put it together. Nothing is showing up on the monitor
    Cycles through hdmi1 hdmi2 display port..
    Something I'm doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

monster1 wrote: »
    Just have put it together. Nothing is showing up on the monitor
    Cycles through hdmi1 hdmi2 display port..
    Something I'm doing wrong?

Make sure you have the cable plugged into the graphics card and not the motherboard.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Make sure you have the cable plugged into the graphics card and not the motherboard.

It's exactly what I had done 😂 cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's exactly what I had done 😂 cheers

I did the same when I built mine :pac:

Here she is

Bought a chair for it too, rgb to match the set up. Need a desk though.. The desktop is massive! Any recommendations on gaming desks? Or links? Cheers

Bought a chair for it too, rgb to match the set up. Need a desk though.. The desktop is massive! Any recommendations on gaming desks? Or links? Cheers

Having a problem with my mouse cursor. It keeps randomly vanishing. Then I can click out of things. It's a Corsair harpoon rgb pro

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

A fecking RGB char OMG. Looks Awesome. Buy some decent beer though!

Question, if I was to sell the auros rtx 2080 super. What would I get for it?? Also thinking of selling the Ryzen 3950. Get a cheaper, then purchase the rtx3090.
    Also the Samsung monitor, are they stuck at 60fps? samsung u28h750 28" 4k ultra hd. So that will have to go too... What are they fetching second hand? Cheers lads.

• Advertisement

2080S given the 3070 will be c.€500 - probably around €350-400 if you want to shift it quickly a bit more if you can wait a bit. Personally I'm waiting to see what AMD makes nVidia do.

Not sure its worth the hassle selling the 3950X unless you do it very soon as the 4000 series are about to be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Question, if I was to sell the auros rtx 2080 super. What would I get for it?? Also thinking of selling the Ryzen 3950. Get a cheaper, then purchase the rtx3090.
    Also the Samsung monitor, are they stuck at 60fps? samsung u28h750 28" 4k ultra hd. So that will have to go too... What are they fetching second hand? Cheers lads.

I'm not entirely sure why you'd downgrade your CPU but then purchase the top end graphics card, it wouldn't make much sense to be honest. You'd be better off holding on to the 3950X and getting a 3080 rather than the 3090.

The 2080 supers have taken a fair drop since the announcement of the new 3000 series, there's a couple up on adverts for around 5-600 euro at the moment, and I think there's a chance the prices could drop further.

Unless you're struggling to hit 60fps at 4k at the moment on certain games, I would just keep the setup you have to be honest as it's still extremely high end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I won it on that rkings competions page. I assume the computer will come pre built. I'm looking to really dive into vr, the new cards would be better? Would the 2080 be good enough? It's a Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 super.

damn I had entered that too :D
    congrats dude..great to see someone on here win it,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

I would just use it.you could buy better motherboard x570 as prices are dropping you can drop in better gpu when it comes out
    i don't see what gpu you use.you can buy a faster nvme 4.0 ssd drive i don't see what your using
    you could add 32gb memory
    i don't know why you want to down grade
    to a lesser machine as it's not top of line

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    I would just use it.you could buy better motherboard x570 as prices are dropping you can drop in better gpu when it comes out
    i don't see what gpu you use.you can buy a faster nvme 4.0 ssd drive i don't see what your using
    you could add 32gb memory
    i don't know why you want to down grade
    to a lesser machine as it's not top of line
    There is 32gb ddr4 ram in it. Sabrent rocket Q 2tb NVME 2280 PCie M.2

Graphics card is Gigabyte aorus geforce rtx super.. Yeah about the Ryzen 3950, that's hooked up to water cooling so prob a lot of effort getting that out...
    Thing is I want a 144hz screen. I don't really like the Samsung. 3080, 3090. Would the 3090 do 144hz at 4k?? Yeah iv also been keeping an eye on AMD. October feels like ages away....
    Would it be able match the 3090 or is big navi a midrange.
    3090 keeps coming up on my news feed on my Huawei haha.

3090 hasn't that many more cores than the 3080 so I don't think it will do a consistent 144FPS but it all depends on the game and the quality settings. It will obviously do better than 60FPS in pretty much everything. My prediction for Big Navi is it will land somewhere between the 3070 and 3080 so for what you're looking for AMD won't be a contender.

Is it possible to connect an old Samsung ssd 830 128 gb to this b540 mother board?
    Plenty of data cables but can't seem to find the small power cable connector, I have the cable. Been Googlen for pics of the board. Non the wiser
    Edit. Found them hidden under gfx

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is it possible to connect an old Samsung ssd 830 128 gb to this b540 mother board?
    Plenty of data cables but can't seem to find the small power cable connector, I have the cable. Been Googlen for pics of the board. Non the wiser

So your SATA data cables will connect here:

W1Z0h4a_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

But power should come from the power supply, it'll be a larger connecter like this:AC1310-E-10-6.jpg

Check your existing drives, usually the power cable will have a couple of connectors on the one cable for SATA

So your SATA data cables will connect here:

W1Z0h4a_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

But power should come from the power supply, it'll be a larger connecter like this:AC1310-E-10-6.jpg

Check your existing drives, usually the power cable will have a couple of connectors on the one cable for SATA

Couldn't get anything off it, was hoping I would have some photos of the late father, past last xmas. Have a seagate 1tb that **** the bed back in the day. Anyway if recovering data?

• Advertisement

Just wondering on a guide price to sell this at?? I know with the new gpus released it will take a hit. But iv used it about ten times, just a waste sitting there. Gone off the idea of vr

Advertisement