Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Damascus moment on foundation

Options
  • 02-08-2020 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Spent a fortune over recent years buying the newest foundation releases all around me and then when they don't suit, mixing together to try to get a suitable blend/match to justify my spend. I'm a bit addicted to buying new foundations but unfortunately, most of them start to look greasy or breakdown on me after about 5 hours.

So - to Estee Lauder Double Wear. Haven't had a bottle of this in about 8 years and I got some samples yesterday. Wore it today and it is still looking flawless on me 10 hours later. Why have I wasted 8 years trying to better this. Why do I need 10 different foundations when there is only one that looks this good on me.

Not sure if this is what Road to Damascus means, but you know what I mean

p.s. anyone want to buy half bottles of some fancy foundation = :-) only joking mods - not selling really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Clare Kat

Is it Matt or Dewey? I have combination skin and I find Mac foundation too heavy, but no more than yourself I could open a small Sephora!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

I'd say it's somewhere in between. I hate dewey foundations as they start making my nose really shiny after about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Clare Kat wrote: »
    Is it Matt or Dewey? I have combination skin and I find Mac foundation too heavy, but no more than yourself I could open a small Sephora!

It’s quite matte and it’s very easy to go too heavy handed and look cakey in my experience. It needs a good moisturizer under it, a light touch and a compact buffing brush to work it in to the skin but then it will look great for the whole day with very few touch ups! I wear it for weddings and events or if I’m going out straight from work. I’ve worn it for years and year and it is great but I found wearing it every day would feel very heavy on my face after a while. I’m using the Estée Lauder futurist foundation right now and loving it. Much lighter in texture, dewey/satin finish, same shade range, similar coverage and it kind of ‘sets’ like DW does but not as thick. It mixes well with DW if I want the wear something in between the two types, and comes in a tube with a pump which is my preference for foundations.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

Never heard of EL Futurist, going to check it out now! I have tons of half used unsuitable, expensive bottles of foundation that I'm working my way through but still love Double Wear for longevity and coverage but would like something lighter for day to day wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I've gotten better but I did go through a phase of buying loads of foundations and I always come back to DoubleWear.

I know everyone says its heavy but I generally find it grand - perhaps this is because I apply it with either a stippling brush or beauty blender. I can use just a small amount and get the desired finish - I only really place product in the center of my face and then just buff excess product into the other areas, that way I don't find it too heavy.

I've tried most MAC foundations but I always find my skin ends up looking oily. Armani Luminous silk didnt work for me at all - literally slid down my face.

I've tried some cheaper ones that at he time I thought were quite good, but then I'd use DoubleWear again and realise that it was just head and shoulders above them.

The only other one I'd think of trying is Urban Decay Stay Naked, but I should probably just stick to Estee Lauder.

Very interested in EL Futureist!

• Advertisement

I just ordered Futurist in my usual DW shade from ASOS. They have 20% off at the moment if anyone is interested - code is BESNAPPY.

MsQuinn wrote: »
    I'd say it's somewhere in between. I hate dewey foundations as they start making my nose really shiny after about an hour.

Thanks for that. I find that sometimes the Matt foundations settle in my lines which Im trying to hide!!

SozBbz wrote: »
    I've gotten better but I did go through a phase of buying loads of foundations and I always come back to DoubleWear.

I know everyone says its heavy but I generally find it grand - perhaps this is because I apply it with either a stippling brush or beauty blender. I can use just a small amount and get the desired finish - I only really place product in the center of my face and then just buff excess product into the other areas, that way I don't find it too heavy.

I've tried most MAC foundations but I always find my skin ends up looking oily. Armani Luminous silk didnt work for me at all - literally slid down my face.

I've tried some cheaper ones that at he time I thought were quite good, but then I'd use DoubleWear again and realise that it was just head and shoulders above them.

The only other one I'd think of trying is Urban Decay Stay Naked, but I should probably just stick to Estee Lauder.

Very interested in EL Futureist!

Highly recommend Urban Decay Bare Naked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kattunge

Sister uses ELF and will appreciate the discount code. Thanks plasticheart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I just ordered Futurist in my usual DW shade from ASOS. They have 20% off at the moment if anyone is interested - code is BESNAPPY.

Will you report back on the colour match and your overall thoughts once you get it?

I wear 1W1 Bone (Winter) or 1N2 Ecru (Summer), and would love to know if I could just order these shades without worry. I just bought a new bottle of DW last week so I don't need more but perhaps I can be ready for next time ASOS do a code!

Edit : just checked the shade range and it doesnt look like its as extensive as DW. They do have Ecru but not Bone.

• Advertisement

Will you report back on the colour match and your overall thoughts once you get it?

I wear 1W1 Bone (Winter) or 1N2 Ecru (Summer), and would love to know if I could just order these shades without worry. I just bought a new bottle of DW last week so I don't need more but perhaps I can be ready for next time ASOS do a code!

Edit : just checked the shade range and it doesnt look like its as extensive as DW. They do have Ecru but not Bone.

Yep I'll report back :) I wear Dawn in winter and Tawny in summer. I ordered Tawny in Futurist. Looking forward to trying it!

I just saw the shade range isn't as extensive, that's disappointing. My friend wears Bone and has had trouble sometimes getting it in the ordinary DW.

Kattunge wrote: »
    Sister uses ELF and will appreciate the discount code. Thanks plasticheart.

Unfortunately the code has now expired but they have been doing 20% off everything most weeks since lockdown started so just keep an eye on their site :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

https://findation.com/
    You just enter what you normally wear and it will give you similar shades in other products and brands - fwiw my double wear foundation shade was the same C23 Fresco in both DW and Futurist. I'm sure there's pigment differences which mean not all of the results might match but it might be a way to narrow down what might suit you? And also to bear in mind that you may get away with a next-to shade to Bone if it's a sheerer product.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Armani Luminous Silk is my go-to now, first time in ages I'd repurchased a foundation after emptying a bottle. I have combo skin and it leaves me with a lovely finish.

Twee. wrote: »
    Armani Luminous Silk is my go-to now, first time in ages I'd repurchased a foundation after emptying a bottle. I have combo skin and it leaves me with a lovely finish.

Thanks for that, will try that as I also have combination skin and it’s hard to get foundation that suits this type of skin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My skin completely changed in my late 20s and a friend recommended I try it. I didn't know what to be doing with my new-found oiliness! The joys of aging :pac: I use very minimal powder to set, and will do a spritz of MAC Fix+ after applying foundation, and once again when I'm completely finished my face.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Twee. wrote: »

Same, I have been using it years. I have combination skin also, and this foundation is a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

I’ve been meaning to try doublewear for a while unfortunately my nearest stockist, Debenhams, has shut so I can’t get a sample. Has anybody tried the ‘find my shade’ option on the Estée Lauder website to be accurate?

I’ve been meaning to try doublewear for a while unfortunately my nearest stockist, Debenhams, has shut so I can’t get a sample. Has anybody tried the ‘find my shade’ option on the Estée Lauder website to be accurate?

I just tried it and it recommended Dawn or Rattan. Dawn is the colour I use in winter and I use Tawny in summer, so my experience is it's quite accurate. Is there a Boots near you that stocks it so you try a sample in person?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

I just tried it and it recommended Dawn or Rattan. Dawn is the colour I use in winter and I use Tawny in summer, so my experience is it's quite accurate. Is there a Boots near you that stocks it so you try a sample in person?

Boots is very small so doesn’t have a counter I’d have to order online from them and didn’t want to risk it in case the shade was completely off. I popped in last week and even the brands they do have in store they aren’t given any samples. I think I might risk it. It’s a pity they don’t supply a small sample when ordering online with the bottle. Thanks for trying it out ! :-)

• Advertisement

So I'm finally reporting back! I wanted to wear it a few times to form a full opinion.

The foundation is quite watery, similar to the water fresh (I think it's called) version of DW but not as runny. I think the coverage with Futurist is better.

Two pumps of Futurist did my entire face and neck blended down to my chest. It's quite dewy initially but settled less shiny. I didn't set it with powder but you could for a more matte look. I've been applying it with my MAC 160 brush. The brush does absorb quite a bit of the foundation as it's runny, however I was able to buff most of it onto my skin. I haven't tried it with my beauty blender as I think it would absorb too much.

Colourwise I don't think it's as dark as my DW Tawny but I was happy enough with the colour match for everyday wear. I'll still wear the DW for nights out or when I want more coverage.

I've worn it for about 10 hours a day with no issues. It hasn't broken down on my skin or oxidised.

Also the design of the bottle with the pump is a welcome change to the DW bottle. Why EL continue to produce a foundation in a bottle without a pump is a mystery to me.

So, if you've read this far, overall I'm very happy with Futurist. It's comfortable to wear, doesn't feel heavy but has the longevity of DW. I think it's superior to the water version which was far too runny and light for me. I would definitely repurchase Futurist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Wait, do people apply foundation on their chest?!

fussyonion wrote: »
    Wait, do people apply foundation on their chest?!

I blend it down my neck as far as my chest where I'm darker so I have even colour throughout. Doesn't everybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I blend my foundation down my jawline towards my neck but definitely not all the way down my neck. I don’t feel the need to match my chest exactly to my face, I think it’s normal to have a bit more colour on my chest than my face? Or if the difference is stark then some bronzer will sort it out.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

No I've never needed to blend that far down, I blend at the jawline down the neck a bit then if I need it, a bit of bronzer.

I've used foundation occasionally to cover up bruises on my legs as I'm always bumping into things. A dab of that and translucent powder under sheer tights works really well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yep, I'd only blend around my jawline really. I'd do the bit 'under' my face, so to speak, but nothing further down.

Oh no I'm very tan on my body and I hate my neck and face being lighter (I never have my face in the sun) so I always blend my foundation down. It's not an exact match but it does even me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I use bronzer to blend my chest in with my neck and face, Chanel cream bronzer in a duo fibre brush is fab for that! I apply foundation to my face and use the excess off my hand / brush on my neck.

I've been using Catrice HD foundation for the last 3 years and love it, EW double wear is fab on me but gives me the worst break outs unfortunately :(

Advertisement