Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCLinuxOS releases a new ISO

Options
  • 15-06-2017 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭

PCLinuxOS does not often release new ISOs because it is essentially a 'rolling release' so if you have it installed it is a rare occasion when you might need to reinstall.
    Even then most users take a 'snapshot' of their running install and save it as an ISO (using mylivecd utility) so it can be used for installation on any hardware in the future. Those installations will then be as up to date as the snapshot.

Anyway there is a June 2017 release of PCLinuxOS featuring KDE Plasma 5 .... notice here ...
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/kde/

Items of note .....
    there is no systemd
    sudo is not used by default
    it is not 'secure boot' compatible (Secure Boot must be off) but is UEFI/GPT compatible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Been using PCLinuxOS on my travelling laptop with the MATE desktop for a few months now and love it. Really solid, current software with the rolling release model and reliable/stable. Nice package management system too. Great distro. One of the best I've tried out. Community seems helpful and tight-knit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yeah, community is very tight and almost always helpful.

Only time i have noticed anything 'unhelpful' is when a post comes across as complaining, demanding or disparaging.
    Some apparently do not appreciate they are receiving a full OS without payment or any other input. :D Very few, thankfully. ;)

Glad to know it has suited you :)

Yeah, community is very tight and almost always helpful.

Only time i have noticed anything 'unhelpful' is when a post comes across as complaining, demanding or disparaging.
    Some apparently do not appreciate they are receiving a full OS without payment or any other input. :D Very few, thankfully. ;)

Glad to know it has suited you :)

Yeah I've noticed that! Have only had one issue that I've needed to visit the forums about (related to Steam) but it seems that for every dodgy thread, theres 50 helpful ones. Which is all good.

It's the best distro I've used in a while. Works incredibly well on this old laptop, and will keep it going for a few years yet, hopefully!

Have used a lot of distros over the last few years and for some reason I keep coming back to this one. PCLinuxOS with the MATE desktop is just really great and easy to use. Nice package management system and a solid choice of software, and it runs really well on my old Lenovo Thinkpad. Love this distro!

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Have used a lot of distros over the last few years and for some reason I keep coming back to this one. PCLinuxOS with the MATE desktop is just really great and easy to use. Nice package management system and a solid choice of software, and it runs really well on my old Lenovo Thinkpad. Love this distro!

I've been using nothing else for some years now.
    Try a few when there are releases but nothing that has caused me to change my main distro.

Long may it last :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

might give it a spin later. had tried it a few years back when it had more desktops and wasnt as well known.

rayzercork wrote: »
    might give it a spin later. had tried it a few years back when it had more desktops and wasnt as well known.

At the moment there are recent (within 6 months) ISOs for
    KDE
    Mate
    LXQT
    TDE
    There used to be Xfce but it seems to have fallen a little out of favour although quite a few still use it.

I hope you have a good experience with it. ;)

playing with the mate edition right now, its decent but really slow unless you disable marco compositor. might take mint cinnamon off my backup usb and put this on instead. feels like a fully loaded debian with a more recent kernel, so far so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

I recall reading a while back that the lead dev, Bill Reynolds aka 'Texstar'; was not well - cancer. I've not heard much since so presume he's thankfully doing better.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    I recall reading a while back that the lead dev, Bill Reynolds aka 'Texstar'; was not well - cancer. I've not heard much since so presume he's thankfully doing better.

Seems to be ....... this is his second bout apparently ....... other than that I can only say there are daily updates so a lot of work is being done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

This used to be my daily driver until around 9 or 10 years ago. I don't remember why, but I switched to ubuntu gnome and remained with it until unity and have used kubuntu since.

I might give it another spin to see how what I might be missing.

having given it a few test runs ive decided to use it as my backup distro instead of mint, feels much easier to use than it was when i tried it years ago. mate needs a few tweaks in the compositor mostly disabling the animations and it runs smoother

A new batch of ISOs have been released this month from PCLinuxOS, for those who require a new install.
    The rest of us just continue to update from the repository as it is a 'rolling' release.

The main releases are
    http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/64bit/
    KDE Darkstar ....... a basic KDE release with very few packages, relying on the user to install what they need.
    KDE5 .................. the full version with lots of packages for most users needs.
    Mate .................. a full Mate DE version

A community edition TDE release is also available this month.

Community releases can be found here and include TDE, LXDE, LXQT and Xfce
    https://pclosusers.com/communityiso/

Torrent links are also posted in the forum in the announcement threads usually.

Window managers, if required, can be added from the repository to any of the releases.

Should be something for everyone.

Seems to be ....... this is his second bout apparently ....... other than that I can only say there are daily updates so a lot of work is being done.

Yeah, getting daily updates here lately which is great. Distribution seems very well maintained anyway.

Bumping this again due to my continued love of PCLinuxOS. It really just does what it says and is so reliable and stable. Running it on an old white MacBook 2008 with a Core2Duo and it's just delightful to use with the new KDE 5.17 release. Always keep coming back to this distro!

Bumping this again due to my continued love of PCLinuxOS. It really just does what it says and is so reliable and stable. Running it on an old white MacBook 2008 with a Core2Duo and it's just delightful to use with the new KDE 5.17 release. Always keep coming back to this distro!

I don't know if you have seen that there are several variations with new releases lately ....
    KDE5
    Darkstar ..... minimal KDE5
    MATE
    XFCE
    Xfce-mini .... minimal version Xfce
    E23 ....... Enlightenment community edition
    TDE ...... 'big daddy' ...... TDE with a heck of a lot included (TDE is essentially an updated KDE 3.5)

all released in October for those who might like to try.

I generally give each a 'look' just to see what they are like, but with my permanent KDE5 install it just updates daily.

..... it just keeps on rolling ......

:D

Might fire up a few of those in a VM and take a look. Such a great distro.

I came across this today ..... video about the MATE DE on PCLinuxos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfcX603voIY

Thought it might make interesting viewing for some here.

Nice list of ISOs available by torrent, including some community ISOs

https://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrents&search=&category=423&active=0

I always like to post here when I've gone back to PCLinuxOS as I'm always genuinely pleased to use it again. If I ever go away from it, it's purely to move to something that's a bit more gaming-friendly. But damn this is a wonderful distro. Cutting edge, yet absolutely stable. Great stuff.

• Advertisement

the only thing i dont like about it is that they want you to install everything using the software manager rather than terminal. i chat to one of the devs regularly, he builds the openbox and i think trinity versions. i like the xfce mini version as it allows me to build to my own needs.

rayzercork wrote: »
    the only thing i dont like about it is that they want you to install everything using the software manager rather than terminal. i chat to one of the devs regularly, he builds the openbox and i think trinity versions. i like the xfce mini version as it allows me to build to my own needs.

The advice about using Synaptic has proven to be beneficial.
    Apparently a number of those migrating from other distros were not using the correct commands for PCLinuxOS, as can be found in threads on the forum.

Nothing prevents any user from using the command line and ignoring the advice.

There is also advice to not install packages not in the PCLinuxOS repositories. The reasoning behind that is that in the event of a problem there is likely to be no one able to support that user.

That too does not prevent anyone from doing it and ignoring the advice.

For thos who need a new installation, or just want to 'have a look' by running a live session, updated ISOs have been released.

https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,154754.msg1328388/topicseen.html#new

PCLinuxOS installation media has been updated so new installations do not require such a large update to get current. This release features Kernel and application updates, bug fixes and security updates, with a focus on speed and stability. PCLinuxOS is officially released in three editions: KDE Plasma, MATE and XFCE desktops. Community editions featuring Trinity, Openbox and LXQT desktops are also available. All the editions can run on the computer alone, or in Virtualbox. PCLinuxOS is an old school rolling release desktop distribution and has been serving the Linux community for 18 years.
    Download Links: http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/

* Speed improvements of installation media
    * Better compatibility with VirtualBox
    * Easier guest additions install within Virtualbox
    * Installation support to a f2fs partition
    * systemd free since 2003

Might fire up a few of those in a VM and take a look. Such a great distro.

I mostly use vbox-test-media these days to have a look at newly released ISOs.
    I find it simple, quick and gives a fair impression of what the release looks like when running 'live'.

Updated ISOs made available for those wishing to install PCLOS.
    https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,155784.0.html
    KDE installation ISOs have been updated with Kernel 5.12.14. KDE Plasma 5.22.2.1 and Nvidia 460.80 driver along with the normal package updates from the software repository. Networkmanager replaces drakx-net-applet to manage your network connections. This release features a relaxing Blue theme, the default Plasma Breeze theme decorations and icons instead of the usual Breeze Dark theme and custom icon set.

Please note if you are fully updated from the software repository then there is no need to do a fresh install from these ISOs unless you want to.

KDE Darkstar - 1.6Gb - Minimal installation with a very small set of applications to get you started.

https://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/64bit/pclinuxos64-kde5-darkstar-2021.06.iso

KDE - 2.5Gb - Features Libreoffice and a normal set of applications commonly used by a desktop user. Additional applications available from the Synaptic Software Repository.

https://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/64bit/pclinuxos64-kde5-2021.06.iso

KDE - Magnum - 3.9Gb - Includes additional applications not included on the regular KDE installation. A little something for everyone simply because you deserve it. Even more applications available from the software repository.

https://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/64bit/pclinuxos64-kde5-magnum-2021.06.iso

md5sum Darkstar: 844877a1833c2a41ddca9a8a0e265d38
    md5sum KDE: f0de01a1b7b82155ec5e95d6a8cb82ce
    md5sum Magnum: e330cf40675e9e369888de228c85bf6d

I have been playing with the Magnum version for the past few minutes, running in vbox-test-media utility, on my main PC (8 GB ram).

On the live session I installed task-mate without issue, logged out, changes Session to MATE and logged in again, to the MATE DE.

This is what it looked like after I changed background pic

vbox-test-mate.png

I was pleasantly surprised that I could install MATE while running live and had no glitches when logging out/in and changing sessions.

Fun! :D

EDIT:

First I have seen from Daily Passion ...... pity about a couple of typos but does provide a lot of info .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZDWtG4XFf8

For whatever reason, a new, complete, set of ISOs have been posted for July xxx-2021-07.iso series

https://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/64bit/

Advertisement