Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The hunt crowd

• 14-12-2019 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I'm wondering about the pros and cons of letting 'the hunt crowd' ramble through my land with their hounds and horses.

I know there is a fox who regularly visits my yard to take the placenta from cows who have just given birth. Can this lead to an issue with disease? On the other hand I haven't had a sight of a rodent this winter...

Just wondering what are peoples thoughts on the hunt crowd? At the moment I see the fox as an ally. I have a small few sheep too and I haven't allowed them due to lamb until minimum May next year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The local hunt does cross my land a couple of times a year, that's foot beagles.
    Horses, not a chance. Very bad experience of them.
    Personally not into hunting or shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Earnshaw wrote: »
    I'm wondering about the pros and cons of letting 'the hunt crowd' ramble through my land with their hounds and horses.

I know there is a fox who regularly visits my yard to take the placenta from cows who have just given birth. Can this lead to an issue with disease? On the other hand I haven't had a sight of a rodent this winter...

Just wondering what are peoples thoughts on the hunt crowd? At the moment I see the fox as an ally. I have a small few sheep too and I haven't allowed them due to lamb until minimum May next year.

If you value your land any bit at all you won't let them through, this time of year they'll absolutely destroy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

Stopped them years ago. Fields were wrecked after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The crowd with the horses came here once and went bogging straight away, and never came back.
    Good riddance.

The other lot with the otter hounds come on occasion, I can't understand the buzz people get from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

The hounds will scout through the woodlands and fields and follow the scent of the fox. The horses will stick to the farm roadways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

Specify that they stick to the headlands or which fields might be alright. If you have crops down some huntsmen will put up white tape to make a path for the horses around the headlands. You are in control and it doesn’t have to be all or nothing. A decent hunt will try its best to keep landowners on side. It does very much depend on the individuals involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

The hounds will scout through the woodlands and fields and follow the scent of the fox. The horses will stick to the farm roadways.

Is that what they told you? I wouldn't believe a word they say. Don't let them near the place.

I find that a little hard to believe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod Advice: This subject often gets fractious so keep it civil. It doesn't stop you getting your opinion across. Thanks.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Used to turn a blind eye to them but one crowd burnt their bridges for all them.now i will actively hunt them down and put the run on them

• Advertisement

Any advice to keep them at bay whilst maintaining nice friendly local politics.

Aside from the fact I don't want them in what's a good excuse to tell them no - like insurance reasons or whatever...

Any advice to keep them at bay whilst maintaining nice friendly local politics.

Aside from the fact I don't want them in what's a good excuse to tell them no - like insurance reasons or whatever...

A load of "lands poisoned" signs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭alps

They buy our produce, they speak well of farmers, they are an understanding voice of farming, important amongst today's urban dwellers. They're welcome here

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

The local hunts here are dreaded by farmers. They come in (despite the signs on the land and the notices in local papers), wreck walls and the fields, they cut electric fences, (and never repair them) and they actually have ridden past my kitchen window on the tarmac. Their dogs have gotten into our cattle sheds and ran amok. This happens, with a different hunt every fortnight. The local hotel (West Limerick) attracts fox hunters - Google them and see how they advertise our farms as their playground.
    We have tried many ways of keeping them off the land. But there is no recourse to law because people such as judges and solicitors are on the hunt, we know this as we eyeball them quite often. We have tried believe me.
    Some neighbouring farmers want to “stay in” with them and love being invited to the local hunt ball. Fewer and fewer each year though as they start reacting to the damage caused.
    I’m anti-hunt. We have suffered 20 years of this. I am originally from the midlands where no one believes me when I tell them what goes on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

I’m on both sides of the fence as I also hunt. Been out with four different groups the last few years. Some are better than others but I’ve never seen the widespread devastation some describe.
    Once seen it go wrong in a field of beet with cattle in it. Two went in, huntsman and whipper in, rest stayed on the road. Cattle broke through the wire and went everywhere. Fortunately it was the whipper ins farm so had to laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Odelay wrote: »
    I’m on both sides of the fence as I also hunt. Been out with four different groups the last few years. Some are better than others but I’ve never seen the widespread devastation some describe.
    Once seen it go wrong I’m a field of beet with cattle in it. Two went in, huntsman and whipper in, rest stayed on the road. Cattle broke through the wire and went everywhere. Fortunately it was the whipper ins farm so had to laugh.

Same situation here. I hunt myself and my local hunt is a mostly farmers pack, very mindful of the farmers whose land we cross.
    I appreciate that many here have had bad experience with hunts and have closed the gates to them. And rightly so.
    There’s assholes in every walk of life however and to tar the many with the misdeeds of the few isn’t right either.

It’s as short sighted as people preaching that farmers are all animal abusing heartless hoors on account of a few bad eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

alps wrote: »
    They buy our produce, they speak well of farmers, they are an understanding voice of farming, important amongst today's urban dwellers. They're welcome here

+1.
    Part of the rural social fabric.
    I’ve hunted with the Blazers, Wards, Killinicks etc and can only say that the utmost respect was always shown to property.
    I’ve been reprimanded for poor turnout because it didn’t show respect to farmers and landowners...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Dogs loose on our ground get met with one thing and it's not a welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I welcome them here. I think it’s a fantastic spectacle to see the hounds, horse and riders going across my fields. If there’s any misbehaving the master puts them back inline fairly quickly. It’s a country thing and I think all of us in the countryside need to stick together, farmers, hunters etc because we’re all in the public eye now and you could be in a situation very quickly where do gooders and busybodies with an agenda start to dictate what goes on in the countryside.
    I think a lot of farmers that have a problem with them is an animosity that could be bred into us because of the association of the landed gentry and hunting.
    And a word of advice for hunters, if a farmer has a problem with you, get down off your horse to talk to him. Nobody likes to be talked down to by a man on a horse. It can be very annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Every farmer in the area here once upon a time let the hunt on their land. It was a highlight to see the hounds and horses.
    Then the hunt became shabby and downright malicious. Not walking the land beforehand or asking for permission. Cutting bull wire on farmers and not fencing gaps. Going through fields with horses and sheep in them. You name it it happened.
    Then farmers kicked up and stopped access. So then hunt members had to call out to look for permission and tried using point to point tickets to gain favour (which they never did before). But the damage was done and the meet in the area is no more.
    They had only themselves to blame and to quote a hunt member the area is like a cage with all the wire fences now.

The hunt became too big in later years. Generally it used to be about twenty five horses and locals but in later years that field became seventy horses with people from far way on hired horses and ditches got levelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

My Grandfather and Great Grandfather were the masters of the Crossboyne hunt that used to operate between Claremorris and Hollymount. It was a real country gent thing back then (1900-65) and they would always set off from the famous Castlemaggaret estate a few miles out the Ballindine road. The utmost respect was always shown for landowners on the route back then and a couple of years ago a lovely old dear in her 90's recounted to me a marvellous story about meeting my great grandfather some time in the 20's as he delevered a bottle of brandy to every landowner that had given permission as a thanx from the hunt. She vividly remembers the day as a child when he arrived into the yard on a magnificent White charger and patted her on the head - pure gold to hear about that!!:)

Not really bothered whether the characters in the hunt crowd are entitled assholes or lovely people who are part of the rural fabric. Traditions can come and go.

However I do wonder about the extent to which todays hunt crowd have researched the ecological impact of their activity.

The most important thing for me is the impact of their activity on the eco-system in my farm. I know the fox doesn't have a natural predator but I see him as a valuable way of keeping down rodents at the moment. As well as keeping rabbit populations in check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Not really bothered whether the characters in the hunt crowd are entitled assholes or lovely people who are part of the rural fabric. Traditions can come and go.

However I do wonder about the extent to which todays hunt crowd have researched the ecological impact of their activity.

The most important thing for me is the impact of their activity on the eco-system in my farm. I know the fox doesn't have a natural predator but I see him as a valuable way of keeping down rodents at the moment. As well as keeping rabbit populations in check.

Personally I think its more about tradition than vermin control since its not that often a hunt will actually catch a fox. Though many of the lads who do the donkey work for the hunt will also be the ones to do some lamping, terrier work etc. for farmers if requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

Would dumpvalve donkeys in lowered A4's qualify ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irish horse

I see a lot more children out now.than afew years ago that can't be a bad thing.some hunts are drag hunts the don't do much damage the have a set line to follow.i hunted afew times never saw much damage done. Some people play golf or . driffent strocks for different folks. I guess .

Well, you can ride a horse without having to go through someone else's land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

I don’t really care who is riding horses but if I’m putting cattle in for the winter to try avoid poaching then I sure as hell won’t be letting a crowd trample through for the fun of it. I have no issue with hunting and will let anyone shoot on foot once they have a bit of respect for the ground and I feel there isn’t a court case coming out of it somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Are you a farmer yourself solli?. A lot if that sounds like all the anti hunting stuff spouted by iscabs tbh.Though I appreciate groups will be different in different places. Around here there is only one hunt per area. It's strange you have a 'different hunt every fortnight'. Afsik hunt clubs have their own areas.

The hunt have permission to hunt here. They are locals and only come twice a year - give me notice when and ask if it suits. They also fix any damage done and have a small crew of lads who take care if any fencing needing done.

To date I've had no issues or problems. They have also sorted me out in helping finding a cover that had foxes with mange and also finding a calf many years ago.If ye have issues- I recommend contact the master of the local hunt directly.

If its only to keep those eejits that want all shooting and hunting banned and the same lot who are anti animal farming interestingly enough - I'll keep supporting them.

Local hunt was cancelled today because the ground was too soft. It’s not unusual for that to happen. I know they’re not all the same, but most don’t want to cause problems on land they may want to cross next year. It just doesn’t make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

gozunda wrote: »
    Are you a farmer yourself solli?. A lot if that sounds like all the anti hunting stuff spouted by iscabs tbh.Though I appreciate groups will be different in different places. Around here there is only one hunt per area. It's strange you have a 'different hunt every fortnight'. Afsik hunt clubs have their own areas.
    We have a least five different hunts in our area-of the five only one is welcomed as they give me notice! The rest are incredibly disrespectful. I have ranted about them before-Three neighbours have said to me they are stopping them but tbh I’d still say they will come around because they just ignore all warnings and the horns they use cause half the issues with the cattle anyway.

Why all the posts about the hunt crowd being a great bunch of lads. It's not about them. It's about the actual impact on the general ecosystem in an area. This is surely the most important thing that needs to be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Why all the posts about the hunt crowd being a great bunch of lads. It's not about them. It's about the actual impact on the general ecosystem in an area. This is surely the most important thing that needs to be considered.

Different ppl care about different things

L1985 wrote: »
    gozunda wrote: »
    We have a least five different hunts in our area-of the five only one is welcomed as they give me notice! The rest are incredibly disrespectful. I have ranted about them before-Three neighbours have said to me they are stopping them but tbh I’d still say they will come around because they just ignore all warnings and the horns they use cause half the issues with the cattle anyway.

That’s pure scumbagerry. I’d be ashamed to cross land where the hunt was not wanted and would have no problem giving the huntsman, who should know the lye of the land, a piece of my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Farmers all our lives. Three different hunts visit this area at least twice a year. Then there are two different foot beagles children’s meets etc.
    It’s overkill really, pardon the pun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The area here area is overrun with foxes - mange got in amongst them a few years back - shooting doesn't seem to have any serious impact on the overall population at all. I have a pond for wildfowl and it has been cleared out several times by foxes and no even hungry either with carcasses left uneaten. Any hunting takes care of very few tbh. What it does do in my experience - is it makes foxes around here wary and more likely avoid humans, and habitation. Also more likley to take out those sick or old in my experience than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Two hunts generally come here each year and I couldn’t speak highly enough. So polite that I’d near be sick of each person saying thank you as they passed! They only use my land to pass thro rather than hunt so they are only walking and do zero damage or at least none that I’ll see next Spring.

Always welcome and truth be told, I look forward to the spectacle of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The blazers are hunting 3 days a week now.
    Saw them lately.
    Lovely to watch the hounds work the line.lovely pack of hounds.12 and a half pair out and serious manners on them. I seen them meeting a car on the road and the mfh shouted all in and they jumped up on the ditch and wouldn’t pass the horse.
    When they cast the hounds there’s only 2 horses following with the field waiting behind.
    If the hounds find and take a line the field follows on using the headlands to travel with having previously gotten the landowners permission.
    There’s 3 lads following on foot rising any walls knocked.
    The county is riddled with foxes with nobody shooting them.
    Lads used to shoot here every Sunday in the 80,s.
    Hardly anyone now following a gun.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Two hunts generally come here each year and I couldn’t speak highly enough. So polite that I’d near be sick of each person saying thank you as they passed! They only use my land to pass thro rather than hunt so they are only walking and do zero damage or at least none that I’ll see next Spring.

Always welcome and truth be told, I look forward to the spectacle of it all.

Manners is a big thing I noticed with the hunts I went with. Every landowner and car in the road gets a smile, salute and thank you.

Honestly lads, ye should try it sometime, it’s a mighty day out and great to see kids out in cold rain yet still enjoying it.

To those with abusive hunts, i wouldn’t blame you for clearing them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I’ve hunted with a few packs . The pack I hunted with in North Cork are very , very well run . In my younger years , I was on a pony with no brakes.I decided to go wide of the headline to slow him . I was told in no uncertain terms to either control the pony or get down and go home . Each member had to spend a day doing gates and a fencing team followed close behind the hunt .

I hunted with a pack here in Leinster where there were a few total gobsh**tes , who shouted at the tops of their voices whenever hounds were drawing and were more interested in being
    seen in the gear than the actual day out . They also rode three abreast most of the time. The same hunt lost huge amounts of country and good enough for them .
    So yes ,there are some out there, but in my experience, very much the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

A stupid tradition that should have left this place when the Brits went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭alps

Reckon the "Brits" is a phobia that lingers long in too many minds..

They're gone

The initial question was related to the effect on ecosystems but the quality of characters in the hunt crowd is seemingly more worthy of discussion.

This thread is pointless and a mod is welcome to close it.

The initial question was related to the effect on ecosystems but the quality of characters in the hunt crowd is seemingly more worthy of discussion.

The effect in ecosystems is minimal. A fox is rarely killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The hunt crowd is the title you gave this thread and you ask “just wondering what are people’s thoughts on the hunt crowd?”

No mention of ecosystems in the title or opening post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

alps wrote: »
    Reckon the "Brits" is a phobia that lingers long in too many minds..

They're gone

Ah yes, but some “freedom fighters” like a bit of ethnic cleansing talk nearly 100 years after independence :rolleyes:

Cattlepen wrote: »
    Ah yes, but some “freedom fighters” like a bit of ethnic cleansing talk nearly 100 years after independence :rolleyes:

No one mentioned ethnic cleansing. I have many catholic friends as well as protestant. Stop with the nonsense.

The irony of posting that text in English...

The irony of posting that text in English...

Yawn

The effect in ecosystems is minimal. A fox is rarely killed.

It's more of a jolly for folks with horses if that's the case.
    How do predators at the top of the food chain regulate their numbers without human interference? They've only been doing it for millions of years.

Humans haven't been around for very long. Now that hunting is no longer permitted in the UK, is it overrun with foxes?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement