Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The BAI rejected my complaint about the Joe Duffy Show on Life Loans

13»

Comments

Looking through some of the recent BAI complaints determinations, one thing that crops up pretty often is a line like this " the Code acknowledges that some current affairs programmes are synonymous with personalities and, in these cases, the style of the programme and presenter are key factors in engaging audiences. The Committee noted that the presenter’s style is well known to
    audiences, therefore, listeners are likely to expect robust debate."

Sure that's a nonsense. That just means 'Oh you know what s/he's like, it's a breach of the code but is cancelled-out because that's just they way they are"

One of these cases involved Ivan Yates interviewing a doctor (who turned out not be a physician, but had a PhD) talking about mixing sleeping tablets and alcohol, which Ivan endorsed as a sleeping aid, apparently without opposition from the PhD.

I don't really buy this "That's just Ivan, you can't take anything from him seriously" attitude -- if it's not supposed to be serious, why has he an expert on in the first place?

Some of the complaints are indeed ridiculous, but it seems to me that when a complaint is in any way borderline, the presumption swings in favour of the broadcaster each time. The Committee doesn't say what its standard of proof is (balance of probabilities? overwhelming? beyond doubt?), but it seems to be quite a high bar to reach.

The Complaints Committee has a few former journalists and one or two 'media trainers' on it; not sure if that's relevant or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Maybe it just means that a lot of the complaints are groundless. I could well believe that tbh. This thread is a nice example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

So a lifetime loan means that you never have to repay it unless you sell your house, but they get your house when you die?

Not sure what is wrong with that? If I had no dependants that would be perfect. Free money, for all intents and purposes, assuming I planned to stay in the house.

Not suitable if you're concerned about providing for someone beyond your death, but that has no effect on its validity as a product for other cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

grassylawn wrote: »
    So a lifetime loan means that you never have to repay it unless you sell your house, but they get your house when you die?

Not sure what is wrong with that? If I had no dependants that would be perfect. Free money, for all intents and purposes, assuming I planned to stay in the house

It's actually better than that as the bank only get their loan amount back plus whatever interest has accrued at the agreed rate.
    In most cases there is still money leftover for all those concerned relatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Maybe it just means that a lot of the complaints are groundless. I could well believe that tbh. This thread is a nice example.

It also means that complaints are less likely to happen.

There will always be some complaints that are groundless but that shouldn’t stop people from complaining.

We really don’t like complaining in this country.

Maybe it just means that a lot of the complaints are groundless.
    It could be that, although I personally find it difficult to believe that radio stations, despite anyone's hardest work, could be so near-flawless.

It might otherwise be that the BAI are extremely reluctant to interfere with the freedom of media expression, but if so, they should set that out clearly. Instead, they seem to occasionally admit that a broadcaster breached the code, whilst grappling around for reasons to dismiss the complaint anyway.

It would be better if they just established a consistent standard of proof like most Determination Bodies, or described what level of seriousness a complaint must meet.

Advertisement