Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rental income on Overseas holiday home

Options
  • 18-04-2021 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Couldn’t find anything recent on this topic.

I’m considering buying a holiday home in Portugal in a resort with the option to opt into a rental scheme. Basically they rent in out and manage it and provide you an income and you can get a few weeks for yourself also.

My long term plan would be to live there in the winter months.

However has anyone any experience of the rental income tax in Portugal and the implications here? I assume I can’t offset the mortgage?
    Would I be obliged to pay income tax in both jurisdictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

You would be obliged to pay tax and file returns in both countries. Any tax payable on rents in Portugal would be offset against your Irish taxes. I wouldn’t be familiar with the Portuguese rules but you would be able to offset interest element of mortgage costs in your Irish foreign rental computation.

I’d recommend talking to a tax advisor about what you need to do on an annual basis if you don’t already have one.

Advertisement