Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cavan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 amay89

Any updates to this.

Hi,
    Could you give me an idea of what Ballyjamesduff is like? I've seen some comments people saying it's a rough area. Thinking of moving with two young children. How did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TalkingGoose

Hi anyone move to Kingscourt? My fiance and I are seriously considering the move. We have a seven year old daughter. Just wondering how schools and activities and clubs in the area are like? I'm currently working in Blanchardatown so will be commuting, anyone with a similar commute how they get on with it? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Hi anyone move to Kingscourt? My fiance and I are seriously considering the move. We have a seven year old daughter. Just wondering how schools and activities and clubs in the area are like? I'm currently working in Blanchardatown so will be commuting, anyone with a similar commute how they get on with it? Cheers

The commute will take you from Kingscourt to Moynalty to Kells bypass onto M3 to Blanch.

The road from Kingscourt to Moynalty is very windy and rough in places, but is in constant use to commute so it's manageable. You will also hit 2 x €1.40 tolls on the M3 each way so factor that into costs. I would prefer to pay the toll and avoid driving through Kells and Navan during rush hour.

There is a good playcentre in Kingscourt and some nice place to eat like the Wishing Well, but not sure about schools etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 robertmcmahon

Can anyone tell me is Cavan Town a decent place to live? Moving up from Dublin because i work from home 3 days a week with office trip twice a week and the houses are half the price of Dublin. Seems like a grand place too live with plenty of shops and schools or am i wrong ? the lack of stuff to do wont bother us, me and the wife and 2 kids barely left the house even before covid haha we're all introverts i suppose. does there be much trouble in the town or any estates to avoid? please private message me if u dont want to publicly shame the place or an estate lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, its grand. You won't have the range of restaurants there is in Dublin, but a few nice ones. 4 screen cinema, leisure centre with pool, range of pubs, usual range of sports clubs, tennis club with new Padel courts .
    Gaelic clubs all around, rugby club, cricket club, Bowles, cycling clubs, clay pigeon shooting, rowing club down the road in Belturbet, new library, two golf clubs and an astro turf etc. Above list of activities hopefully back to full swing after almost everything shut with Covid.
    Quiet enough town, estates to avoid? Ardkeen and Aughnaskerry, Lakeview, perhaps add in St. Martin's and Tullamongan. Although those last two are older terraced houses with families there for generations, so maybe unfair to include them.
    Depends on your budget, buy or rent? Rental properties not plentiful at all. Have a look at the thread above this for a few suggestions also. Take a spin out to Swellan , 3 or 4 nice estates there. Are kids at school? That might influence where you choose, 3 national schools in town centre, plus Farnham a mile out the road beyond the hospital.
    Four secondry schools in town, plus a GaelScoil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

My wife and I are moving back to Ireland from the UK. We are considering Cavan. How are things like broadband at the moment?

Any places to avoid? We don't have kids so don't need access to schools. We do want somewhere quiet and without any aggro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My wife and I are moving back to Ireland from the UK. We are considering Cavan. How are things like broadband at the moment?

Any places to avoid? We don't have kids so don't need access to schools. We do want somewhere quiet and without any aggro.

Why Cavan of all places? There are lovely houses for half nothing compared to Dublin prices all round the country.

Why Cavan of all places? There are lovely houses for half nothing compared to Dublin prices all round the country.

We are moving to be closer to my wife's elderly mother in the midlands. Cavan is one of several locations we are looking at. We have noticed that the houses within our budget in Cavan are quite nice. Our first choice is Athlone, but unfortunately there is very little housing stock available there and what there is can be pretty sketchy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Why not Cavan? It's a beautiful county and has everything the poster would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

All kinda comes down to what size of a house you would like and as you mentioned your budget, You will find that east cavan is alot dearer because its kinda on the commuter belt to dublin. The closer to west cavan you go the cheaper it could be (Size depending),

Speaking for around belturbet the broadband is not to bad with fiber but of course its in scattered places at the moment and if your not able to get fiber you can get the local broadband from company like arden, net1 or even imagine (5g).

For anywhere in the county,If you see a house in mind and wondering it can get fiber bb go get the eircode of the house the address into here Eircode finder and see if its available here https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail or even if the house is gonna get it in the future here.

• Advertisement

Thanks for those links. I had the Eir one already but not the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I currently have Arden wireless broadband in the back end of nowhere near cavan town and its decent, however I do get occasional drop outs.

When I lived in Cavan town I just went with Sky broadband.

How wide is SIRO coverage in Cavan town? I looked at one house I liked online and it wasn't in a covered area.

Also, anyone able to tell me places to avoid buying in Cavan? Either estates in the town or parts of the county

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

How wide is SIRO coverage in Cavan town? I looked at one house I liked online and it wasn't in a covered area.

Also, anyone able to tell me places to avoid buying in Cavan? Either estates in the town or parts of the county

Siro would be in most housing estates i though in cavan town but perhaps not on the outskirts, Im not 100% sure.

Not really all that many places to avoid IMO, Ardkeen or Aughnaskerry was mentioned in cavan town for been the rougher of the estates around the town from this thread but others might say differently.

Can anyone give an honest/accurate opinion of the more "popular" areas in Cavan that people would be looking to move to?

When people on this thread are asking what are places like, what they're really asking is 'what are the issues in X place'?

For example, I seen a house for sale in Ballyjamesduff (which I'll shorten to BJD from here) that took my interest.

However, although I've been in BJD a good few times, mostly just passing through, or popping into the Centra, I've never been there at night time, at weekends, nor do I know the area, so I'm not sure which parts are the good parts and which are the bad parts.

I did see a group of the stereotype scummers hanging around outside Mizzoni's pizza before, but although they look like the stereotype trouble makers, that doesn't necessarily mean they actually are.

However, then you see things like this, which are incredibly vaguely worded and give no indication as to what's happened/happening:

https://www.northernsound.ie/news/ballyjamesduff-community-council-develops-consultation-tackle-recent-acts-anti-social-behaviour-170977

All anyone wants, when they move to Cavan (or indeed anywhere else) is to have a bit of peace. Maybe get to know a few locals and make a couple of friends.

Having to deal with groups of scumbags that threaten and intimidate you, damage your property, etc. is what people are trying to avoid, hence moving in the first place (I also appreciate for many, it'll be a case of not being able to afford Dublin, but even these people generally won't be coming to Cavan to cause hassle).

I did hear a few years ago that Dublin Council put a deal in place with Cavan to rehouse some of the bad social tenants in parts of Cavan, but I'm unsure how true that actually is.

I did hear a few years ago that Dublin Council put a deal in place with Cavan to rehouse some of the bad social tenants in parts of Cavan, but I'm unsure how true that actually is.

Don't think there is any truth in that.
    BJD expanded greatly about 16 years ago, with an influx of people from Dublin, as well as foreign workers to Liffey Meats.
    What we typically saw was people who had inherited a small 2 up, 2 down which their parents had purchased from Dublin Corp, and which was suddenly worth €400,000.
    Cue a move to Navan/Virginia/BJD etc, buy a home and have a tidy lump sum left over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I hear negative stuff said about BJD from time to time, but my feeling is that 99.9% of it is (thinly) disguised bigotry towards Dubs and/or immigrants. Every place on this planet has 'scummers' so there's no avoiding them really. I know some Dubs who have lived there and found it fine, the odd bit of trouble sure, but a fraction of what youd get in a big city.

Gaspode wrote: »
    I , but my feeling is that 99.9% of it is (thinly) disguised bigotry towards Dubs and/or immigrants..

More a historical thing
    Back in the mid 1980's the Priests in Kilnacrott Abbey used to bring young "troubled" kids down for a months holiday in the country.
    Fresh air and rural living supposed to reform them.
    Trouble was, some years later spates of thefts around tha area were found to be carried out by a few "returnees".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

If I was moving back to Cavan, I'd be looking out towards the golf course/farnham school/the loreto. Really nice area and very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,580 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A friend of mine moved to Bailieborough and loves it.
    Great Community School. Great GAA club. Kids sports etc.
    Town has a swimming pool and gym.
    Golf course in Virginia 7 miles away(9hole) same in Kingscourt 7 miles away (Cabra Castle 9 hole, Headford in Kells, 2 brilliant 18 hole courses, 15 miles away.
    Bailieborough is 20 miles from Navan and 20 miles from Cavan.
    Very friendly people too and welcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Onthefull

Can I ask what the issue is with Lakeview in Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭celt262

There are a good few of a certain community that have a bad reputation in general around the country living in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cavan_girl

Some lovely places to live

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Albert36

Hi everyone, can anyone give advice on Kingscourt or Virginia please? And any advice of which is a better town to move to. I do understand opinions differ but what I am looking for is a nice town with good amenities (shops, bars, restaurants etc) and nice people :) I work in Dublin so being driving distance is a must but thats all really. We are a couple with no children yet. TIA.

Advertisement