Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Dollar Cheque

Options
  • 22-04-2021 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

I got a USD cheque as a birthday gift and PTSB won’t accept it so I’m not sure what to do with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

BoI will accept it but you must open a current account, it will take many weeks to clear, clearing fees will apply and FX fees will apply.

If possible, ask the sender to do an electronic transfer. For example, to a Revolut USD account.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

What reason did PTSB give for not accepting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Saudades wrote: »
    What reason did PTSB give for not accepting it?

I would guess that they simply said that PTSB don't do international cheques anymore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd send it back and ask for a money transfer. Would revolut or similar work?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

PTSB don’t do FX any more. But even when they did, they were charging €8

I might try the credit Union

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Gael23 wrote: »
    PTSB don’t do FX any more. But even when they did, they were charging €8

I might try the credit Union

€8 is very good value for sending a foreign cheque on collection, the credit union itself is likely to be charged a lot more than this to process a US cheque so they would have to pass this cost onto the customer

Under normal circumstances a US cheque would take 6 - 8 weeks to clear, but with the current situation it is likely to take even longer

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Gael23 wrote: »
    PTSB don’t do FX any more.

Did they actually confirm that they wouldn't accept your cheque?

They don't exchange foreign cash in branches anymore as of one week ago, but I didn't think this applied to lodging foreign cheques.

Advertisement