Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying sample wedding dress online

Options
  • 11-04-2021 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

In the very early stages of dress hunting - have a few appointments made for when things open up a little hopefully. Long story short, I've come across a dress online that's completely 'me'. It seems to be from an older collection and from my research the designer doesn't make it any more.

I've seen it on a dress reselling platform (Stillwhite) and it's a sample gown from a bridal boutique. There's no returns on the dress so I'd be out a fair whack if I didn't like it. Has anyone any experience in buying sample gowns or how alterations would work? Is it worth it in the long run?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

It's a big risk to buy something you haven't tried on. I've seen some places are offering a service where they can courier dresses to you to try on (presumably for a fee, but not sure). Could you contact the shop to see what options are available? Maybe you could pay a deposit for them to hold it for you, until they're open to try it on. It would be better than paying the full amount upfront anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Thanks woodchuck. Unfortunately the store is based in England so I can't see an easy way around it. You're right, it's probably too risky!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭C@t

I just bought my dress “online” last week! It was a bit nerve wracking tbh, but very relieved to have it sorted now!
    There are a good few bridal stores doing “at home try on” for sample dresses - some will do a Zoom consultation (some don’t have this option), you buy the dress, pay for shipping and if it’s it’s not the one for you, you return it within 7 days or so for a full refund. Some are also doing home try on for new dresses to order, if you have enough time for that (I didn’t).
    I tried 4 dresses from 2 shops and was lucky enough to find one I love.
    If it’s a sample dress you’re looking for, try Bridal Village (
    https://www.bridalvillage.ie/), they have listings of sample dresses from loads of shops in Ireland and you can search by brand, store or dress style. You then deal directly with the shop if you see something you like!
    Best of luck with your search!

Thanks C@t. The shop is based in the UK so don't think that's an option unfortunately. I hadn't heard of Bridal Village - thanks so much for the tip.

Thanks C@t. The shop is based in the UK so don't think that's an option unfortunately. I hadn't heard of Bridal Village - thanks so much for the tip.

Aw that’s a pity, are there any Irish stockists for the designer?
    Another website I found handy for tracking down a specific dress in a shop was The Dress Tribe (https://www.thedresstribe.com/). Could be worth a shot if you’ve found the dress you love!

• Advertisement

C@t wrote: »
    Another website I found handy for tracking down a specific dress in a shop was The Dress Tribe (https://www.thedresstribe.com/). Could be worth a shot if you’ve found the dress you love!

I could lose hours of my life there! Thanks a million, have never heard of it before! Unfortunately the one that I have my eye on isn't on it, I presume that means it's out of production!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gosh_idiots

I'm wondering the same �� it's so daunting taking the plunge without trying it on!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you haven't tried on many dresses before, I'd urge caution. I remember seeing a dress that I thought would be PERFECT for me, and everyone agreed. But when I tried it on, it didn't suit me at all and it wasn't clear why. If you haven't tried on other very similar dresses, I wouldn't take the risk. One tiny detail (straps or lack of/neckline/shade of white) could change everything about whether it suits you or not.

Faith wrote: »
    If you haven't tried on many dresses before, I'd urge caution. I remember seeing a dress that I thought would be PERFECT for me, and everyone agreed. But when I tried it on, it didn't suit me at all and it wasn't clear why. If you haven't tried on other very similar dresses, I wouldn't take the risk. One tiny detail (straps or lack of/neckline/shade of white) could change everything about whether it suits you or not.

Agreed, I ended up not picking the one I thought would be perfect! But I’m still glad I tried it on or I would have had it in the back of my mind!
    The try at home services that allow you to return within a time period are worth a shot though, nothing to lose (except maybe shipping costs) but you might find your perfect dress. I would recommend choosing one that does a virtual consultation first though, the bridal shops know what will most likely suit your figure and it could save you trying on a few that won’t work!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Same! I had found what I thought was THE dress on the website of the store I went to and when I tried it on it looked awful on me. Not one particular thing I could put my finger on but it just didn’t look good. Hilariously the dress that ended up being THE dress was one that me and my Mum had spent ages slagging when we saw it on the website - I only tried it on for the laugh and couldn’t believe how good it looked on. The pictures on the website were hideous :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Another one here who didn't buy the dress that was completely me. I'd been looking at it for ages & trying to find it somewhere to try on (as like you it was from an older collection). I ended up getting an appointment last summer at a bridal shop just to try on some different shapes etc. I ended up completely falling in love with a dress that was the complete opposite of what I thought I wanted in terms of shaping. I was quite surprised with it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gosh_idiots

Another one here who didn't buy the dress that was completely me. I'd been looking at it for ages & trying to find it somewhere to try on (as like you it was from an older collection). I ended up getting an appointment last summer at a bridal shop just to try on some different shapes etc. I ended up completely falling in love with a dress that was the complete opposite of what I thought I wanted in terms of shaping. I was quite surprised with it to be honest.

This is literally what's stopping me buying a dress online! 🙈 Hopefully the shops will open again soon!

Thanks everyone for your replies! I think I’ll leave it and wait for the fittings I have booked in May. Wasn’t to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

This for me to. I went to a bridal salon solely to try on one dress I had seen a bride wear in photos. Was 100% sure it was for me as it just 'looked' me.

Ended up hating it, as did my mum and sister. I eventually bought the opposite of this dress, lace, sparkles, a train-full on bridal gown I fell in love with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ShortAPennt

Hi,
    I actually bought my dress from still white.
    I hadn’t tried on any dresses previously but has looked through a lot of websites. I know myself well enough and knew if I kept going back to the dress it was special.
    I did ask for measurements to make sure it would fit and was happy that it was long enough so I could take it up.
    One thing that really helped me was a looked for other real brides in the dress. I could then compare my body shape to there’s and could see if it work or not.
    I know a lot of people will think I was mad but I knew my dress when I saw and it. And saving 60% of the price made the purchase even better! I still went to an alternations and got the dress made to fit.
    It was one of the most special parts of my day and the fact it wasn’t sold in ireland was quiet unique & special.
    My advice is If you know you know.

My advice is If you know you know.

Thanks ShortAPennt! I've checked in on it a few times so it's something that's still at the back of my mind! Did you need much done in terms of alterations?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ShortAPennt

Thanks ShortAPennt! I've checked in on it a few times so it's something that's still at the back of my mind! Did you need much done in terms of alterations?

I needed to get the length taken up. A little bit was taken in from the hip area but not much as I wanted a little extra room.
    The girl really worked her magic and replaced all the buttons down the back with new ones which made it look even fresher
    It honestly felt and looked like a new dress, nobody knew it didn't cost the initial 3K price tag.
    I really fell in love with the dress though..... I'm not sure how you feel about the one you are looking at.
    One other bonus is right now with the uncertainty of lockdowns and opening retail is that you will have your dress...... no need to panicking about if the shop will be open or delays in production due to closures.
    I know it is not for everybody but it really worked out well for me.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I remember some of the sample dresses were in poor shape when I went trying them on in the shop - things like fake tan or beading pulled, or for delicate fabrics threads pulled or even small tears. They get a fair bit of abuse so I would really only buy ex sample dresses if they were a) cheap as chips and b) I saw it in person first.

Like others I'd a specific dress style in mind. I do sewing so I've gotten to know what styles and colours suit me best, but wedding dresses were a whole different ball game. I was adamant I didn't want lace, bling or strapless... I ended up with beaded lace strapless, because the ones that I thought would suit me looked awful, and the saleswoman put me in this one and bam - it looked amazing. Even since I bought it, I've never wavered even when seeing other dresses. Mine is perfect for me.

Neyite wrote: »
    I remember some of the sample dresses were in poor shape when I went trying them on in the shop - things like fake tan or beading pulled, or for delicate fabrics threads pulled or even small tears. They get a fair bit of abuse so I would really only buy ex sample dresses if they were a) cheap as chips and b) I saw it in person first.

Like others I'd a specific dress style in mind. I do sewing so I've gotten to know what styles and colours suit me best, but wedding dresses were a whole different ball game. I was adamant I didn't want lace, bling or strapless... I ended up with beaded lace strapless, because the ones that I thought would suit me looked awful, and the saleswoman put me in this one and bam - it looked amazing. Even since I bought it, I've never wavered even when seeing other dresses. Mine is perfect for me.

Isn't it gas the way we have a specific idea in mind but can end up going in a completely different direction. I came very close to getting a sheath style dress that was sleevless with sheer lace inserts at the side. Not in a million years would I have chosen it or even thought it would be more on me. It was gorgeous. In the end I went for different again but still at odds with my original.

I do have moments of regret though where I kind of wonder if I should have looked for what I was initially after. Well it's bought now so that's that.

Advertisement