Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ember -> Nest (or something else?)

Options
  • 09-02-2021 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭

I've had the EPH Ember since I moved into this house 4 years ago.

It's "fine", but it's always lacked features that I know other systems have or that a more open system would allow me to hack around.

The most obvious one for me being able to set different temperatures for morning, daytime, evening and night.

So my question is ..

How hard is it to switch over to a different IoT enabled thermostat?

Heating is gas fired and is currently a 3 zone setup (downstairs, upstairs, hot water)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

mneylon wrote: »
    I've had the EPH Ember since I moved into this house 4 years ago.

It's "fine", but it's always lacked features that I know other systems have or that a more open system would allow me to hack around.

The most obvious one for me being able to set different temperatures for morning, daytime, evening and night.

So my question is ..

How hard is it to switch over to a different IoT enabled thermostat?

Heating is gas fired and is currently a 3 zone setup (downstairs, upstairs, hot water)
    I had my Nest professionally fitted, so can't comment on how easy it is, but it is fantastic. Best thing is that I don't really pay any attention to it. I like my house a little cool, but not cold. Towel rail on in the shower room in the mornings, hot water is solar, but supplemented by gas and is perfect.

I did get a bill for €200 the past 2 months, but then realised they had overestimated by more than three time's...

So far so good...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

mneylon wrote: »

I don't have a Nest, but as far as I know a Nest can't control 3 separate zones independently.

2011 wrote: »
    I don't have a Nest, but as far as I know a Nest can't control 3 separate zones independently.
    My nest does three zones... Downstairs, up stairs and hot water. You just need two nest controllers to make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Ember can be associated with Alexa, I have set up a routine so that night time temperature is one temp and daytime is different.
    It's no substitute for a real smart system but it will do until you can switch over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Ember can be associated with Alexa, I have set up a routine so that night time temperature is one temp and daytime is different.
    It's no substitute for a real smart system but it will do until you can switch over

Oh interesting. I had tried to enable the Alexa skill but like most things from Ember it was sorely lacking in documentation :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bluefoam wrote: »
    My nest does three zones... Downstairs, up stairs and hot water. You just need two nest controllers to make it work.

Yes, I understand that but as each Nest thermostat costs around €250 I don't think that this is a cost effective option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i'm considering wired Tado - but only for heating 3 zones. I'm not sure if it can control hot water in my setup, but that's straightforward anyway.

Yes, I understand that but as each Nest thermostat costs around €250 I don't think that this is a cost effective option.

My two nests cost me €330 total including installation by a professional... Even at €500 it'd be good value.

How much is a tado system including all the valves and control systems and kits you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I got a drayton wiser for around €90 on Amazon during one of their sales. Previously had a Nest and while the nest looks alot snazzier the drayton does everything needed at a fraction of the price. 3 zones too, downstairs, upstairs and hot water. Definitly worth keeping an eye on. Plus smart TRVs are available for the system too for further control.

My two nests cost me €330 total including installation by a professional... Even at €500 it'd be good value.

Personally I think the Nest is a great product with a very slick interface that is massively overpriced. For that money I would expect that it would have smart radiator thermostatic valves.

However, that is just my opinion once you are happy that is all that matters.

I use three Sonoffs TH16 to control my heating. I am open to correction but I think these do everything that the Nest does at a much reduced price albeit with not as slick an interface (but the do work with Google Home / Alexa). I don't mind that they don't work with smart radiator valves as they only cost me a total of €60. There is no limit to the number of Sonoff devices that I can connect for small money. The only limitation is the plumbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Personally I think the Nest is a great product with a very slick interface that is massively overpriced. For that money I would expect that it would have smart radiator thermostatic valves.

However, that is just my opinion once you are happy that is all that matters.

I use three Sonoffs TH16 to control my heating. I am open to correction but I think these do everything that the Nest does at a much reduced price albeit with not as slick an interface (but the do work with Google Home / Alexa). I don't mind that they don't work with smart radiator valves as they only cost me a total of €60. There is no limit to the number of Sonoff devices that I can connect for small money. The only limitation is the plumbing.

I would like a bit more info on the sonoff, I have 2 zones, hot water and rads. Currently have a standard eph 2 zone wired timer but would like the ability to activate the heating from phone when away etc

Redriddick wrote: »
    I would like a bit more info on the sonoff, I have 2 zones, hot water and rads. Currently have a standard eph 2 zone wired timer but would like the ability to activate the heating from phone when away etc

Not a lot to know really.
    I use the Sonoff TH16. These devices are rated to switch 16A at mains volatge (which is a higher rating than the Nest). A temperature probe can be plugegd into these or a temperatrue nd humidity sensor.

The devices can switch on multiple daily timers and schedules or on temperature or humidity. There are also inching setting that can be used for a "boost" function. The app is free and these integrate fully with Google Home and Alexa.

There are many variations available such as a 4 channel DIN rail mountable version and a smart light switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

that's helpful!

what does it mean to buy two controllers?
    when i go to google store website, i find "nest learning thermostat" in the 250-300 euros price range. is that thermostat the controller? and i'd need to buy as many as the number of zones?

brio09 wrote: »
    that's helpful!

what does it mean to buy two controllers?
    when i go to google store website, i find "nest learning thermostat" in the 250-300 euros price range. is that thermostat the controller? and i'd need to buy as many as the number of zones?

Check with your electricity supplier. I got one from them (fitted) for €130, and bought a second one myself when they were on sale. When the fitter arrived for the first, I asked if they'd mind doing both...

Yes, you need two to do three zones. One thermostat can do one zone and hot water. They come with a controller and a hub which in my case is in the hot press.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

Check with your electricity supplier. I got one from them (fitted) for €130, and bought a second one myself when they were on sale. When the fitter arrived for the first, I asked if they'd mind doing both...

Yes, you need two to do three zones. One thermostat can do one zone and hot water. They come with a controller and a hub which in my case is in the hot press.

thanks, understood some more :)

Advertisement