Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public liability insurance- direct labour

Options
  • 22-04-2021 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭

If my blocklaer, roofer/spark etc all have their own insurance, do i need to fork out 1200 for public liability insurance, my mortgage provider said as long as lads working on site have there own i dont need it, if i put up sign at entrance warning against trespassers, am i covered if somebody wanders on and tries to claim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

newhouse87 wrote: »
    If my blocklaer, roofer/spark etc all have their own insurance, do i need to fork out 1200 for public liability insurance, my mortgage provider said as long as lads working on site have there own i dont need it, if i put up sign at entrance warning against trespassers, am i covered if somebody wanders on and tries to claim.

We faced this decision when building, we went for insurance in the end, what if one of the lads leaves the fence open at lunch or when going home. Someone wanders in and gets hurt.

With the way payouts are awarded in Ireland we felt the risk was to high not to take the insurance.

Also, will you ask every trade that comes into work on the site to give you a copy of their insurance? There are a lot of trades coming in and out on the entire build.

Just my 2 cents.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Get the insurance, if yourself and a friend/ family member are doing something or even looking at it and trip/ fall etc at least with cover in place there is a financial safety net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭newhouse87

1200 quid is not small money, i know for a fact the roofer/builder/spark/plumber have insurance, im essentially saying if i have sign up saying do not enter etc am i covered if somebody walked in off the road and fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

if i have sign up saying do not enter etc am i covered if somebody walked in off the road and fell.

I seriously doubt it. If a simple sign was enough there would be no need for any business in the country to have public liability insurance!

I seriously doubt it. If a simple sign was enough there would be no need for any business in the country to have public liability insurance!

A warning sign not to come in i mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 sdfsdfdf

A parent could argue that a child can't read (if a child did wander into the site and injure themselves).
    Get the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

We took the insurance out when building, peace of mind for the 12 months. There was one close call when a section of gable wall blew over, luckily enough no injury, happened to be talking to builder on the phone and heard the bang and screams.
    I know you say all the contractors have their own PL and EL cover but if you are essentially the main contractor doing a build using various trades you would be silly not to carry cover. Say kids get into site after hours or on weekends you can bet your bottom dollar a claim will be made against you. All the signs won't matter if a child ends up in a wheelchair, judge will award serious damages even allowing for part negligence by the claimant (s). Cheap money for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

1200 quid is not small money, i know for a fact the roofer/builder/spark/plumber have insurance, im essentially saying if i have sign up saying do not enter etc am i covered if somebody walked in off the road and fell.

How do you know for fact that all trades will have insurance if you dont see the actual cert..
    Blockie
    groundcrew
    electrician
    plumber
    carpenter
    kitchen fitter
    tiler
    plasterer
    slabber
    roofer
    airtight crew
    stairs fitter
    septic tank people
    painters
    heatpump tech
    mvhr subbie
    screed subs
    Im sure that are more that Im forgeting.

You cant take a lads word for it.

We had people wander in during building and yes we had all the signs posted, I doubt if a neighbors child wonders in and gets hurt that a sign will stop the judge from awarding damages.

Cut costs elsewhere is my advice.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I know exactly what you mean. If you put a warning sign on the bonnet of your car saying "Don't walk in front of me" would that do instead of insurance?

It seems like you are looking for someone to tell you that you don't need it when every single person you ask is telling you that you do!

I know exactly what you mean. If you put a warning sign on the bonnet of your car saying "Don't walk in front of me" would that do instead of insurance?

It seems like you are looking for someone to tell you that you don't need it when every single person you ask is telling you that you do!

That analogy is not the same.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    We took the insurance out when building, peace of mind for the 12 months. There was one close call when a section of gable wall blew over, luckily enough no injury, happened to be talking to builder on the phone and heard the bang and screams.
    I know you say all the contractors have their own PL and EL cover but if you are essentially the main contractor doing a build using various trades you would be silly not to carry cover. Say kids get into site after hours or on weekends you can bet your bottom dollar a claim will be made against you. All the signs won't matter if a child ends up in a wheelchair, judge will award serious damages even allowing for part negligence by the claimant (s). Cheap money for peace of mind.

Yeah reckon i will get it, peace of mind i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭PMBC

Is the OP the contractor in a case like this? It must be extremely difficult if not impossible to get someone to sign off on this for Building Regs compliance.

no building my own house, got it the the other day.

Advertisement