Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bothar Charity under investigation

Options
  • 10-10-2020 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Head office is based in Limerick, it will be interesting to see the outcome of this investigation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Limerick Native

Strange no local news outlet picked up on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Is the investigation finished yet, Camel?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

It gives me no pleasure in saying this but the 'charity' sector in Ireland must be one of the most corrupt around, it's a shame as tens of thousands of normal people volunteer their time and effort only to be taken for a fool by people at the top living it up, claiming big expenses and using the lifestyle and media focus for selfish means.

I was reading about a charity, headed by a former irish celebrity, a well know know man, in their last accounts their income was €7 million, they spent €6.5 on salary's, PR, advertising, office costs etc All the while he gets media coverage, book publicity making him out to be a saint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Jeez... and we (our school) paid for a cow to go to Africa with them!!!

Don’t tell me they still have our cow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Masala wrote: »
    Jeez... and we (our school) paid for a cow to go to Africa with them!!!

Don’t tell me they still have our cow

no they don't have the cow, Jim Gavin the former Dublin football manager is a commercial pilot and he usually piloted the planes taking the animals abroad.

I don't know what the investigation is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You don't know what the investigation is about...fair enough.

....but you are pretty sure that this Jim Gavin (obviously as a former County football manager he remembers every Animal he flew to Africa) definitely brought Masala's cow to Africa ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I have given this charity good support over the years so I would be devestated to find out if it is dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    You don't know what the investigation is about...fair enough.

....but you are pretty sure that this Jim Gavin (obviously as a former County football manager he remembers every Animal he flew to Africa) definitely brought Masala's cow to Africa ?

Give me the tag number of the cow and I'll check it out for you.

I have bought cows that the Dept of Agriculture didn't clear for export because they were a day or two out of test for export which is stricter requirements than home sale. These were sold at public auction and when announced usually commanded a price higher than market value. and the money goes to the charity.

Each animal donated for Bothar is on the Dept record and they keep record not JG. He provides his services for free as do a lot of people including cost to themselves.

This charity was done tremendous work for the families concerned and I as well as a lot of farmers from this area have donated.

Hopefully the good work will continue and the investigation deals with its findings as it sees fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

orm0nd wrote: »
    Give me the tag number of the cow and I'll check it out for you.

I have bought cows that the Dept of Agriculture didn't clear for export because they were a day or two out of test for export which is stricter requirements than home sale. These were sold at public auction and when announced usually commanded a price higher than market value. and the money goes to the charity.

Each animal donated for Bothar is on the Dept record and they keep record not JG. He provides his services for free as do a lot of people including cost to themselves.

This charity was done tremendous work for the families concerned and I as well as a lot of farmers from this area have donated.

Hopefully the good work will continue and the investigation deals with its findings as it sees fit.

Does every donor get a tag number as proof that the donation was spent on an animal?

Obviously they don’t hire an „inspector“, if they don’t suspect a charity spending most of the donations in other ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,108 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Lolle06 wrote: »
    Does every donor get a tag number as proof that the donation was spent on an animal?
    How would giving a tag number prove that the money was spent on animal? At best, it would just prove that some of the charity's money was spent on an animal, but how would it prove a link between a specific donation and a specific animal?
    Lolle06 wrote: »
    Obviously they don’t hire an „inspector“, if they don’t suspect a charity spending most of the donations in other ways.
    There's nothing remotely obvious about that. They could mount an inspection into any aspect of a charity's operation that was not in compliance with the legislation. If you think the only requirement imposed on charities by the legislation is "spend the money on what you send you'd spend it on" you obviously haven't looked at the legislation.

Per the newspaper reports, in this case "t is believed that the investigation relates to governance issues at the charity". That could certainly be something other than financial impropriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

Peregrinus wrote: »
    How would giving a tag number prove that the money was spent on animal? At best, it would just prove that some of the charity's money was spent on an animal, but how would it prove a link between a specific donation and a specific animal?

There's nothing remotely obvious about that. They could mount an inspection into any aspect of a charity's operation that was not in compliance with the legislation. If you think the only requirement imposed on charities by the legislation is "spend the money on what you send you'd spend it on" you obviously haven't looked at the legislation.

Per the newspaper reports, in this case "t is believed that the investigation relates to governance issues at the charity". That could certainly be something other than financial impropriety.

I was replying to Orm0nds post, who asked for the „tag number“ b/c Masala asked if the cow the school bought went to Africa.

I know a few charities who are run well and don’t have inspection appointments going public.

If there is money involved, it is always about the money imho.

Let’s just wait for the outcome of this, will we?

I'm very happy to wait for the outcome of it. Which is why I think it's premature to say that the appointment of an inspector suggests that the regulators "suspect a charity spending most of the donations in other ways". We'll know what the regulators' concern is when we see the report; not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Brief statement on the Bothar website
    The Board and executive of Bóthar can confirm that it has been notified by the Charities Regulator of its decision to appoint inspectors to carry out a statutory investigation.

The commencement of an investigation is not a finding of any wrong-doing. The organisation will fully cooperate with the Regulator and its inspectors on this matter and awaits the finalisation of the report and its findings at the earliest opportunity.

The annual reports and financial statements are available from the Bothar website here. The most recent published account are for the year ended 30th June 2018. These were signed on 3rd July 2019 and were lodged in the Companies Office on 4th July 2019. The accounts for the year ended June 2019 are not on the website and are not listed on the CRO website.

As a past donor I'd be disappointed if there are significant financial irregularities. However fairness to all concerned we should wait for the results of the statutory investigation before jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Brief statement on the Bothar website

The annual reports and financial statements are available from the Bothar website here. The most recent published account are for the year ended 30th June 2018. These were signed on 3rd July 2019 and were lodged in the Companies Office on 4th July 2019. The accounts for the year ended June 2019 are not on the website and are not listed on the CRO website.

As a past donor I'd be disappointed if there are significant financial irregularities. However fairness to all concerned we should wait for the results of the statutory investigation before jumping to conclusions.

I heard they have been overpaying for animals for years, sometimes 500% of the actual value.
    Talks of kickbacks.
    All animals bought from same 2 dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

It's all bull

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Treepole wrote: »
    It's all bull

I know. It really gets your goat, doesn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

saabsaab wrote: »

It would give anyone the hump.

saabsaab wrote: »

It's all the people blindly giving them money that irks me.. load of sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

It's all the people blindly giving them money that irks me.. load of sheep.

Doesn't bear thinking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

know someone who sent an in calf holstien heifer ( worth circa 1500 euro ) to africa with Bothar around seven years ago , they cribbed about framing a photograph of him beside the cow before it was leaving the country

told him they had no room within their budget for " framing "

hes the kind of guy to kick up a fuss and was so astounded at the meanness of it , he promised to bring negative PR on them , probably cost them less than a tenner ?

they gave in in the end and posted him out a framed pic

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    know someone who sent an in calf holstien heifer ( worth circa 1500 euro ) to africa with Bothar around seven years ago , they cribbed about framing a photograph of him beside the cow before it was leaving the country

told him they had no room within their budget for " framing "

hes the kind of guy to kick up a fuss and was so astounded at the meanness of it , he promised to bring negative PR on them , probably cost them less than a tenner ?

they gave in in the end and posted him out a framed pic

To be fair would he not have framed itself? It seems a bit of an awkward request.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Treepole wrote: »
    To be fair would he not have framed itself? It seems a bit of an awkward request.

perhaps but thats what he told me

his attitude seemed to be that he was providing them with a valuable animal for a good cause ?

" bit of give and take "

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    perhaps but thats what he told me

his attitude seemed to be that he was providing them with a valuable animal for a good cause ?

" bit of give and take "
    It's a charitable donation. There's not supposed to be any take; just give.

If he wants his photograph framed, he can frame it. I'm not sure why he thinks a charity should frame it for him, esp when their charitable purpose is sending livestock to developing countries, not framing photographs for people.

Limerick leader ran a small piece on it, I guess we will get the full story when the investigation is complete . Rumours are rife around the place.

Let's hope they are not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spring

Is there any update or further news on the Bothar investigation? Amthinking of making a donation for christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

This is substantial, very substantial, how can they come back from this, look at the people this guy was denying in order to line his own pockets.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/charity-b%25C3%25B3thar-claims-ex-ceo-misappropriated-465-000-in-donations-1.4532356%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

The Charity industry in this country is still the wild west of probity. There's no end to the scandals because there's no end to the number of charities here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

I have given a lot of money to charities in the past. I feel like I'm being swindled sometimes... And then they keep sending you full colour brochures in the post etc to make you feel extra guilty about the ****ing **** state of the world. With you name and details printed on bank demands.

One decent upside is that they can claim the income tax you paid on the amount.

Just need to find a charity to trust.

But this particular case seems to stink. It's like pissing in the wind giving money to Africa and then you've got the dodgy blokes and blokettes in Ireland creaming money off.

Advertisement