Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vincent Browne - TV3 debate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

Conor Halpin :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

As someone who was there in the audience the other night, Its surprising that none of speeches on the same sex marriage referendum were aired tonight, especially given Billy Mccarthys speech calling for a yes vote as a gay man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Didn't hear EXACTLY what the vote no man said but apparently even having a balance of vote yes alongside it could not justify airing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

deisemum wrote: »
    Conor Halpin :D:D:D
    Just saw this on Twitter, an interview with the man himself after the show:
    https://audioboom.com/boos/3194265-konor-halpin-aka-inda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

Didn't hear EXACTLY what the vote no man said but apparently even having a balance of vote yes alongside it could not justify airing it.

The first guy to speak for a no vote was ok, he wasn't abuseive or anything, spoke about the removal of no campaign posters around the country + some yes campaigners knocking on old peoples door past 9 in the night, his contribution was good, the second person speaking for a no vote did speak a bit long the tv production crew could of edited down his speech.

On another note on a different issue one speech who spoke out against water charges while bringing religion into the issue who quoted verses out of the bible of water being a gift from god, I laughed hard hearing him the other night, they should of aired his contribution would of made a few people watching at home laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nathang20

A million miles away!....

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

I watched the debate and the mob element with their booing and shouting was an embarrassment. If that's the best that they offer in a debate forum then they had no business there. John Halligan,outside of playing to the gallery had nothing to offer when it got down to sorting out the 20bn deficit. Increase taxes? To me he's probably comfortable at council level where he can get potholes filled and stop signs erected but when it comes to the actual financial workings of the economy he's completely out of his dept. Yes he played the hospital card which was always going to be a winner with the crowd but offered nothing positive about our city and county. Why wasn't he speaking about Genzyme,Nypro,GSk and all the other great work being done for Waterford? Securing votes to secure his seat in the next election would be my reading of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

archieknox wrote: »
    I watched the debate and the mob element with their booing and shouting was an embarrassment.!

Agree, they all turn into that it seems, especially if there is anyone from the govt there, Fair play to them for actually showing up. KK one was same and that was the actual candidates. Of course, some people think that is what you want in a TD; someone shouting his head off, while nobody that matters listens, as for the crowd, didnt see it all but what i did see, they werent that unruly, maybe i missed their worst bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I watched the debate and the mob element with their booing and shouting was an embarrassment. If that's the best that they offer in a debate forum then they had no business there. John Halligan,outside of playing to the gallery had nothing to offer when it got down to sorting out the 20bn deficit. Increase taxes? To me he's probably comfortable at council level where he can get potholes filled and stop signs erected but when it comes to the actual financial workings of the economy he's completely out of his dept. Yes he played the hospital card which was always going to be a winner with the crowd but offered nothing positive about our city and county. Why wasn't he speaking about Genzyme,Nypro,GSk and all the other great work being done for Waterford? Securing votes to secure his seat in the next election would be my reading of it!

Yes I do agree the shouting etc was an embarrassment but there is no denying there is a very strong anti government feeling in the city/county and I believe this will be shown in the general election .

Also could you tell me who you credit with all this good work been done for Waterford and maybe give a few examples ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Why wasn't he speaking about Genzyme,Nypro,GSk and all the other great work being done for Waterford

not hearing great stories about nypro at the moment unfortunately. heard they used to be a good company to work for when they were first here.

turned off the debate almost immediately after starting. listening to me man go on about fine gael was enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I didn't see the programme as I had to wash the dog...........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I'd forgotten it was on, switched it on and lasted all of 90 seconds listening to a fella whining on trying to say Tramore garda station is serving an area from Tramore to Dungarvan to Carrick, and had to switch off again before I involuntarily put my foot through the telly...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭jmcc

FG and Labour did not do well and it seems that the Bluebots on Social Media are rather upset. If that anger played out in a GE, even Deasy would be hard pressed to hold his seat.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Of course there was angry shouts and some heckling - people in and around Waterford are very angry at how their county has been treated both by the bigger Government and their local TDs who have betrayed them on every single promise they made on the back of FFs unpopularity in 2011. No water charges, no increase in 3rd level fees, no cuts in disability, more jobs etc. Not one of these has been fulfilled for Waterford as the likes of Conway and Coffey turned their back on the people whilst repeating the same old rhetoric from their superiors. I actually believe they have convinced themselves they are good TDs despite overwhelming anger towards them. And Deasy was too cowardly to even turn up what a wimp of a man.

For all those who say Waterford was shown up as bad and shameful, well I hope work today in your 70k a year job was good and the ride home in your BMW to the Dunmore Road to your perfect middle class life with your 2.4 children was comfy but spare a thought for the thousands of people here who have had to put up with the consequences of the endless broken promises on the hospital, the water charges, cuts in disability etc and the erosion of rural post offices. The people who were elected to make a difference havent done a single thing to help the people of Waterford thats the harsh reality.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You do know the whole country went broke?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That comedy thing was cringe worthy

That aul one up cheering when Connor halpin said something to do with Waterford hurling . Jesus it would irritate ya fecking idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

jmcc wrote: »
    ... If that anger played out in a GE, even Deasy would be hard pressed to hold his seat.

With any luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

... And Deasy was too cowardly to even turn up what a wimp of a man...

I did not think Deasy could sink any lower, but he did. He is just pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Of course there was angry shouts and some heckling - people in and around Waterford are very angry at how their county has been treated both by the bigger Government and their local TDs who have betrayed them on every single promise they made on the back of FFs unpopularity in 2011. No water charges, no increase in 3rd level fees, no cuts in disability, more jobs etc. Not one of these has been fulfilled for Waterford as the likes of Conway and Coffey turned their back on the people whilst repeating the same old rhetoric from their superiors. I actually believe they have convinced themselves they are good TDs despite overwhelming anger towards them. And Deasy was too cowardly to even turn up what a wimp of a man.

For all those who say Waterford was shown up as bad and shameful, well I hope work today in your 70k a year job was good and the ride home in your BMW to the Dunmore Road to your perfect middle class life with your 2.4 children was comfy but spare a thought for the thousands of people here who have had to put up with the consequences of the endless broken promises on the hospital, the water charges, cuts in disability etc and the erosion of rural post offices. The people who were elected to make a difference havent done a single thing to help the people of Waterford thats the harsh reality.

Might want to do some checking of your facts there....... Fine Gael promised water charges in their manifesto - are you one of those people who votes on emotion instead of actually reading up on what you're voting for?

All you're doing is displaying a rather large chip on your shoulder against people from certain areas of the city.

From Fine Gael's manifesto in 2011: http://tui.revolutionaries.ie/download/pdf/fine_gael_manifesto.pdf
    11.3 Water

Delivering Water: Fine Gael will deliver clean and reliable drinking water in all parts of the country by creating a single water utility company to take over responsibility of water from the fragmented local authorities that will use new investment and best practice to deliver better water services.

Water Charging: Fine Gael will introduce a fair funding model to deliver clean and reliable water. We will not ask home owners to pay for a broken and unreliable system and that is why Fine Gael will only introduce water charging after the establishment of a new State owned water utility company to take over responsibility from the separate local authorities for Ireland’s water infrastructure and to drive new investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Why anybody votes for Deasy is beyond me, what does he actually do? He somehow is always a shoe in for a seat yet has a total lack of respect for those he is supposed to serve that he can't bother his arse to turn up and answer questions from the people. I honestly would not vote for any of our current TD's all of them are useless, the sad part is i'd say 2 of the 4 will be elected again which given how badly we've been let down in Waterford by our government is a sad reflection on the voters of Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Why anybody votes for Deasy is beyond me, what does he actually do? He somehow is always a shoe in for a seat yet has a total lack of respect for those he is supposed to serve that he can't bother his arse to turn up and answer questions from the people. I honestly would not vote for any of our current TD's all of them are useless, the sad part is i'd say 2 of the 4 will be elected again which given how badly we've been let down in Waterford by our government is a sad reflection on the voters of Waterford.

Not that I'm any huge fan of him, but I think it was a great idea from his perspective - not appearing to be booed and heckled if he even attempted to answer any questions (most of which would probably be stupid anyway based on the few mins of it I've seen). Absolute lose-lose situation IMHO. Complete cringe-fest.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Might want to do some checking of your facts there....... Fine Gael promised water charges in their manifesto - are you one of those people who votes on emotion instead of actually reading up on what you're voting for?

All you're doing is displaying a rather large chip on your shoulder against people from certain areas of the city.

From Fine Gael's manifesto in 2011: http://tui.revolutionaries.ie/download/pdf/fine_gael_manifesto.pdf

Yes in their manifesto ,but around page 42 (if memory serves me right ),not part of their 5 point plan ,so how many people really knew about it during the last election ,most were just happy to vote FF out ,

Anyway what was labour's pre election views on water charges . (you know the other half of the government)

Also do you want to address the other issues the poster mention ,the broken Hospital promises , disability cuts or the closure of rural Post offices and Garda stations.
    Or is water just easier?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

How come no-one mentioned sea fishing in Waterford? Surely that could be developed/improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

The only solution put forward on TV3 Debate was John Halligan proposing to increase personal taxation on PAYE workers!! Is he off his rocker??!!

At the last election people voted for FG as they didn't want to see the deficit being reduced by increasing taxes, and then they wanted Labour in there to keep an eye on them and ensure that there was no spending cuts! In other words, the voters wanted the best of both worlds and assumed that our economic problems could be fixed by magic!

And to top it all off, the merchants of doom were predicting that we would need a second bailout!!

The reality is that after 4 years, the government were in a position to bring a neutral budget!

They are doing a good job!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The only solution put forward on TV3 Debate was John Halligan proposing to increase personal taxation on PAYE workers!! Is he off his rocker??!!

At the last election people voted for FG as they didn't want to see the deficit being reduced by increasing taxes, and then they wanted Labour in there to keep an eye on them and ensure that there was no spending cuts! In other words, the voters wanted the best of both worlds and assumed that our economic problems could be fixed by magic!

And to top it all off, the merchants of doom were predicting that we would need a second bailout!!

The reality is that after 4 years, the government were in a position to bring a neutral budget!

But people are still dying needlessly in our hospitals due to the incompetence of senior management and the complete inability of our elected representatives to change the conditions/hours of cardio departments etc. There are still tonnes of families out there who just cannot afford to pay water charges and yet the support for them continues as if anyone with an issue is just silly or militant. We have people who are reeling from third level fees broken promises from your precious government, we have the Minister for Health posing with Transvestites instead of reducing trolley numbers, we still have loads of kids going to school hungry, thousands of disabled people with their services cut and to top it off, the salaries and pensions of the government and local TDs have gone UP, and not down.

How on earth can you say they are doing a good job?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

when did salaries and pensions of TDs increase??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

starting to get scared now. was talking to a well educated person today who said they cant wait to vote fianna fail back in! some scary people in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

That show was an embarrassment. It's a sad showcasing of grown ups acting like Toddlers just because there's a camera around. It is almost Jerry Springer like. It's entertainment and people just waddle up at Vinnie's request and provide the fireworks.

Don't particularly like Jim Power but he hits a few nails on the head here. http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/features/jobs-market-sending-the-right-message-332306.html

when did salaries and pensions of TDs increase??

Why should TD's get these pensions ,especially after only a few years in the job ,Name any other job with these kind of benefits .If TD'S fail to get re-elected they are been basically fired so why do they qualify for a pension?
    Surely a more fitting solution would be some form of redundancy (a few weeks per year served),one off payment and not be costing the people of Ireland millions for years to come.

Also scrap these insane expense accounts. Again....what other job pays you to get to work ??

In Fact ,lets bring in a time limit on TD's ..
    10 year limit (2 terms) and basic redundancy packet at the end ,Get rid of all these career politicians. Maybe then we would/could get the right type of people in, people that would really care about the job and be involved for all the right reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

What's the story with these ghost Garda stations in County Waterford? One guy in the audience from Kilmac said they have to use Tramore while Conway said he's wrong, the others are still open. They can't both be right.

Advertisement