Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foundation for Lean To

• 02-08-2020 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Looking to stand a 32*20 lean to. What size foundation do I need under the pillars. Pillars will be bolted. Thinking 2ft X 2ft X 1ft deep with mesh.

Would this do. Also if there was rock would I stilled need to go 1ft deep

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Looking to stand a 32*20 lean to. What size foundation do I need under the pillars. Pillars will be bolted. Thinking 2ft X 2ft X 1ft deep with mesh.

I’d go at lest two foot deep. You shouldn’t hit much rock at two foot imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

For any small shed I dig 1 mtr sq by 600 mm deep with mesh and put in hold down bolts.

Bloody auto correct but never mind at least the leanto won't fall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

dzer2 wrote: »
    For any small shed I dig 1 mtr sq by 600 km deep with mesh and put in hold down bolts.

Seems a bit of overkill going that deep surely 600mm (2ft) deep would be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

dzer2 wrote: »
    For any small shed I dig 1 mtr sq by 600 km deep with mesh and put in hold down bolts.

600 km's is a long way down. :D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

Deeper than 1ft for certain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Any of the sheds put up here back in the 80’s and 90’s were dug three foot deep and the pillars sat into them.
    On uneven ground there could easy be a difference of a foot over the length of the shed so a foot deep would be nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Last lean-to built here the auld lad buried tar barrels to floor level and filled them. 3 feet ish I'd say. Serious dose of overkill. Dug out with the pick and shovel too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

18 inches deep 3ft by 3ft is loads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Width is more important than depth. I’d be happier going a metre wide and a foot/18” deep but that depends too on type of ground you’re digging.

A lot of builders only go 12” on a house house foundation.

And what are you saving. Jayus one Extra metre of concrete would put in a fair few bases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Are you going putting up walls etc in time?

I put up a 48 x 20 and I put in a full floor and where each of the 8 pillars I went to 18/20 inch deep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Do you always need a foundation for the RSJ's? Could RSJ be bolted directly to a 4in concrete floor? looking at building a lean to myself ontop of a silage slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Do you always need a foundation for the RSJ's? Could RSJ be bolted directly to a 4in concrete floor? looking at building a lean to myself ontop of a silage slab.

The force of wind would pull the RSJ straight out of such thin foundation. Obviously this depends on the size of the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

domrush wrote: »
    The force of wind would pull the RSJ straight out of such thin foundation. Obviously this depends on the size of the shed.

oh right. i was thinking maybe when the shed is all fixed together and tied into the back of the other shed it wouldn't go anywhere. Thats why im not a builder i suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

RobinBanks wrote: »
    oh right. i was thinking maybe when the shed is all fixed together and tied into the back of the other shed it wouldn't go anywhere. Thats why im not a builder i suppose!

I fixed mine to 6 inch base but as above where the rsj baseplate was I put in more concrete

the wind will not always be a factor

Face the low side towards the wind and even better if fully closed in

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

the depth is decided by the ground and generally i would nt put the rsj s much under ground so you keep going until you get good foundation and bring it up with concrete.the area depends on the whether its part of a full foundation or just pads.metre sq for just pads and a little less if its a long reinforced foundation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

See the following;
    S.101, July 2016. (MINIMUM SPECIFICATIONS FOR THE STRUCTURE OF AGRICULTURAL BUILDINGS)

See section B7 Concrete Foundations.

You'll get it on the DAFF website. I can't attach as file too big.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmerschemespayments/tams/farmbuildingandstructuresspecificationswordformat/

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Internet Police

Push a few sticks into soft ground has far as they can go. Wattle and daub. Thatch roof. Will last a life time.

Advertisement