Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a Hub/Interface for cabling outside

Options
  • 18-07-2020 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭

Have been thinking about getting a long USB cable to control the camera while sitting in comfort with something like BackyardEOS. Then I was thinking why not just hard wire a HUB to interface with when imaging/auto tracking but eventually for the hub to be a power point for a more expensive setup.

What would be the best options for this, price wise it might be relatively inexpensive with the right components. Are there kits you can buy to have an interface on the wall outside USB mostly but with Ethernet and power options.

Iv'e a PC so not exactly portable but even with a laptop chilling inside while viewing the sky is very appealing.

Would there be any issues with running a USB cable say 20-30 meters? (keeping it dry of course)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

USB is only for short distances. 5 meters is the spec for USB 2. And that's with proper cables with a decent amount of copper. Using a hub might double that.

If you only need USB 1.1 then you could try a cat 5 converter ?
    But they won't power much at the other end.
    This is what they look like , not a recommendation
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWLink-CAT5-USB-EXTENDER-SYSTEM/dp/B0018D5DUU

I don't know if you can get a PoE (power over ethernet) usb hub that can talk back remotely but I'd imagine they wouldn't be cheap and you have to get a PoE injector too.

If it's only a few hours an old laptop with remote control software might be an ideal, teamviewer and control it from the desktop over WiFi.

Could probably even do it over a mobile phone with an OTG cable if you could get camera control software.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

USB is only for short distances. 5 meters is the spec for USB 2. And that's with proper cables with a decent amount of copper. Using a hub might double that.

If you only need USB 1.1 then you could try a cat 5 converter ?
    But they won't power much at the other end.
    This is what they look like , not a recommendation
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWLink-CAT5-USB-EXTENDER-SYSTEM/dp/B0018D5DUU

I don't know if you can get a PoE (power over ethernet) usb hub that can talk back remotely but I'd imagine they wouldn't be cheap and you have to get a PoE injector too.

If it's only a few hours an old laptop with remote control software might be an ideal, teamviewer and control it from the desktop over WiFi.

Could probably even do it over a mobile phone with an OTG cable if you could get camera control software.

I wasn't talking about PoE. Solely for transferring/reviewing image files on the camera. If I was to use it as a power source for the inevitable more expensive equipment such as an EQ tracking mount I would probably leave room for an external plug, in the box on the wall. Good to know about the 5m will probably have to rethink where the box will go, luckily I have a bird feeder I can attach it to just beside the viewing spot.

CAT 5/5E/6 might be the route, I was looking at these. Would they only be for USB 1.1 surely CAT 5e/6 would support USB 2/3. Not too keen on adding a laptop to the setup just yet, just adds distraction and complicates things that little bit more. Iv'e a Omegon mechanical tracker which works great but really just begin this journey testing what will work without too much investment (ie auto guiding).

Just measured a rough distance there. Taking into account for a tidy route would be roughly 108ft will probably need a powered Ethernet box like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extender-165ft-4-Port-Ethernet-Cat5e/dp/B07VN3FBW3/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=cat6+usb+extender+120ft&qid=1595084731&s=electronics&sr=1-9

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's only to copy pictures there's SD cards with WiFi - no idea if they'd work and they charge a premium
    https://nerdtechy.com/best-wifi-sd-card

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

If it's only to copy pictures there's SD cards with WiFi - no idea if they'd work and they charge a premium
    https://nerdtechy.com/best-wifi-sd-card

Yeah I was thinking of getting one of these, may get one just because I always forget to put the card back into the camera after cutting files. BackyardEOS allows you to change camera settings from the PC though so it is a different level of control with a usb-c cable attached. Can't see the wifi card being able to access the camera settings, though in saying that possibly the card may be able to use Magic Lantern as a access point. Would be ideal if it could.

Advertisement