Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael collins picture

Options
  • 18-10-2005 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi just wondering does anyone have, or know where i can get a hi-res picture of collins, i do colour restoration and would like do one of him in uniform.

www.deviantart.com/view/24055626/

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

NubbinTom,

That picture of the D-day landing came out very well. How long did it take to do that?

I have a picture of Collins, but not in uniform. It is a print, from Boland Photographers I think which I came across in an auction house many years ago. It is a from the waist up photo of him sitting wearing a suit jacket and waistcoat. He has a moustache in the photo so I guess it was taken when he was 26 / 27 years old. I know he had no moustache from 29 years of age until he died.

Where are you based? Would this be of interest to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Nice work nubbinto, but I'd leave the 'leaked light' effect out. Was that one of Kappa's b/w photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭nubbintom

Thanks, the D-Day picture took about 3 hours to complete, i added the leaked light simple to add some movement confusion to the pic, i have the origianl finished without the 'leaked light' ,not sure who the origianl photographer is, although i also done a another D-Day picture by Robert Sargent, but as for collins, i ended up finding a an old poster i had, scanned it in and restored it. Dummy, im based in kildare, but if you cound send a hi-res can of the pic id be very grateful, Ive always been interested in irish history, and in particular collins so it was strange for me to seen Michael collins in colour for the first time, but here it is, let me know ......

www.deviantart.com/view/24240447/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

That's really impressive. How long did it take? How did you do it?

The flesh-tones look really natural. I notice in a lot of colour restorations the colours look very 'saturated' and pinkish - I don't think many people could tell your pic was a colour restoration.

I'm not sure about the colour of the boots though, they are 'cavalary' boots and wouldn't have been as 'orangy' I think. They would have been more like the colour of his leather shoulder-strap and belt.

Well done dude, you should open up a business doing the same for old family photos - I'm sure there's a big market.

Thanks again, i toned down the boots on the finished one, i'll resubit the new one so you can take alook.

www.deviantart.com/view/24452419/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I agree with DublinWriter. That is very impressive.

Do you know the story of the young boy in the background? It's an interesting story which adds further interest to the photo.

I'll write about it later.

Your work on that picture is very good. Well done.

Well with this pic i hand to scan in the poster afew times, dif pieces, then piece it together, above and below the kind isint the real background, but created from pieces to the right of him, colouring took bout two hours or so, but I dont know anything of the kid, so id be interested to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

It looks like a na Fianna Eireann uniform the kid is wearing. I may very well be wrong.

Very well done, nice job.

Advertisement