Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking wine

Options
  • 13-02-2021 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Where do you buy the cheapest wine for cooking?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ALDI and LIDL have a Shiraz for €5. A bit robust and rustic but would be great for stews.

LIDL have a Conde Noble(?) for €4, I got it once as thought it would do for cooking... smelled a bit iffy wouldn't get it again even for cooking.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Comerman

super value have 187ml bottles of monte bello cooking wine

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Depending on what you need to cook you can try the Revero range in Tesco

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=revero

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Red wine is usually something we didn't fancy finishing that gets put aside.

I use far more white wine in cooking, generally. I buy the cheapest in Lidl. Actually quite drinkable.

And going against most advice I find absolutely no problem with keeping a bottle with the cork stuck in for weeks or even months for cooking - but I'd always taste it before adding.

Something to try. Next time you reach for the red wine for a tomato sauce, use white instead and see what you think. An Italian chef told me that.
    I'd also use white in a bolognaise type ragu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Following a tip from Nigella, I buy a cheap bottle of Vermouth in Lidl or Tesco for about €9.00. It is a great substitute for white wine when cooking and it lasts for months after opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Following a tip from Nigella, I buy a cheap bottle of Vermouth in Lidl or Tesco for about €9.00. It is a great substitute for white wine when cooking and it lasts for months after opening.

I previously suggested this to my good lady Penelope, and was overrruled!

If it has the backing of Nigella, I might try a round two on it :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I previously suggested this to my good lady Penelope, and was overrruled!

If it has the backing of Nigella, I might try a round two on it :)

Careful now! :eek:

On recommendation from someone here, I tried this.
    I didn't like it at all - ruined a dish!

Wine keeps fine for cooking - weeks, even months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

we use whatever is left over in a bottle, poured into a bottle that is a mixture of all the leftover wines.

On recommendation from someone here, I tried this.
    I didn't like it at all - ruined a dish!

Wine keeps fine for cooking - weeks, even months.

That was probably me, I've been recommending vermouth for years, sorry! The main dish I would use it for is risotto. Never had a complaint and there's nowhere to hide with risotto.

Does a bottle of wine really keep for months once opened?

• Advertisement

Does a bottle of wine really keep for months once opened?

For cooking, absolutely.
    I've been doing this for years with both red and white.

• Administrators Posts: 53,413 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Red wine is usually something we didn't fancy finishing that gets put aside.

I use far more white wine in cooking, generally. I buy the cheapest in Lidl. Actually quite drinkable.

And going against most advice I find absolutely no problem with keeping a bottle with the cork stuck in for weeks or even months for cooking - but I'd always taste it before adding.

Something to try. Next time you reach for the red wine for a tomato sauce, use white instead and see what you think. An Italian chef told me that.
    I'd also use white in a bolognaise type ragu.

I make proper bolognese sauce that takes all day to cook and always use white wine in it, never red.

Also milk.

For cooking, absolutely.

Learned something new today! :P I thought it turned to vinegar after a certain time, or at least unpalatable.

Having said that, I think the last time I drank vermouth was when I was a teenager. I can still taste it now, it was vile! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mikelata wrote: »
    Where do you buy the cheapest wine for cooking?

If you can use a cash & carry it would be cheap. They will have bottles of cooking wine which will have no excise duty as it is has salt or other stuff added. Regular shops usually do not have this, though I see a supervalu one listed but it is dearer per ml than other ones which have excise, probably partly due to it being a small bottle.

I wondered if supermarkets do not stock these "cooking" wines & spirits for fear of it getting into the hands of kids or alcos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I always get my cooking wine from a cash & carry, as a kind relative gave me their account number. Their cooking wine is about 3-4 quid a litre. Previously I could only see mini bottles of cooking wine in shops, and unfortunately I rarely have leftover regular wine. It lasts well & does the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

darconio wrote: »
    Depending on what you need to cook you can try the Revero range in Tesco

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=revero

just got it. Let' see how it goes!

I was making a lentil spag bol during the week and recipe said 100ml of red wine. Great, I thought, I can save the rest for weeks/months now. Didn’t last the night. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

For cooking, absolutely.

Really??
    That could be a gamechanger!
    I was thinking of freezing white wine into icecubes...

Do you keep it in the fridge?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Really??
    That could be a gamechanger!
    I was thinking of freezing white wine into icecubes...

Do you keep it in the fridge?

Nope.
    Just stick the cork in the bottle or screw cap and it sits on the counter with other bottles of sauce and oil and stuff.
    I know it goes against what people say but
    I do this all the time without any bad results.
    As I've said, I'd usually taste the wine if it's been there a while but I don't recall ever having to throw any away.

Advertisement