Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is too long for Therapy?

Options
  • 04-02-2021 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

I've been going to Therapy a long time. I find it really helpful and my personality has changed for the better for it. It was primarily for addiction but covers most bases.

How long is too long to be in therapy? Is there something wrong with me if I'm still in Therapy six years down the road every two weeks? Sometimes once a month....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

apache wrote: »
    I've been going to Therapy a long time. I find it really helpful and my personality has changed for the better for it. It was primarily for addiction but covers most bases.

How long is too long to be in therapy? Is there something wrong with me if I'm still in Therapy six years down the road every two weeks? Sometimes once a month....

Probably something to discuss with your therapist as really (like most things) there is no right answer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Moved from Psychology to PI. PI charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Not a professional opinion by any stretch but if its still useful and you can afford it, why not keep at it. Mental health and dedicated time to yourself isn't a bad thing. If you think its time to stop because you feel your extracting less from each session then maybe time to walk away or reduce to a quarterly visit to keep yourself happy.

No right or wrong answer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Every individual is unique. Some people might only need one session, others need therapy for life. As other posters have said there is no right or wrong answer.

If you are still feeling the benefit and you feel like you need to go then there is no need to stop - it’s good to invest in yourself.

Echo that it’s really something to discuss with your therapist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

apache wrote: »

I went to therapy for 6 years before my therapist reduced the time from once a week to once a month and now it's 3 months and I can ring up when I need an apointment. Thankfully it's been 4 months now without needing it but the option is there for when I do.
    There's no set limit. You can go for 6 weeks or 6 years. It depends on the person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭apache

Thanks very much for the responses. Makes me feel a lot better about it. I'll try and broach the subject...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ElderWanderer

There is no too long. Or too short. When you're ready, you're ready.

Advertisement