Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow-cooker model to recommend

Options
  • 21-02-2021 1:52am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Finally going to take a leap into the worldof slow cooking so I'm looking to pick your brains on which is the best model of slow cooker to buy.

Planning on buying something that can perform a variety of tasks, soups, casseroles, etc preferably with a timer and keep warm function. To cater for 4 people so a reasonable capacity is required.

Any recommendations of brands or models and ones to avoid buying?

Any help appreciated.

Tox.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I had a 4.7l Crockpot, which had a timer & warming function. I was generally very happy with it, but the fuse bust recently after 18 months of regular use. Himself tried a couple of things to fix it, but no joy. Not saying that will happen to all Crockpot owners, of course, it was just my experience with it.

I do plan on replacing my slow cooker, but I would consider something with a sauté function next time to keep washing-up down. I am surprised how few slow cookers have timers as standard.

I would make stews, casserole, bread, apple sauce, various curries and chili regularly in it. 4.7l was enough for two evening dinners and lunchtime leftovers, so I suppose you would need +/- 6l?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I've been using our slow cooker from Aldi for years now.
    It has four settings - off - warm - low - high. That's all you need although you could get away with just an off and low setting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭con747

+1 for the Aldi slow cooker, 5 years and still working. Basic but reliable for me.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's a very simple appliance, so any one would do really. I wouldn't buy a very small one, or an expensive one - as others have sid the Aldi one is as good as any. If you want to use it with a timer, a plug in socket timer works well.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/slow-cookers/crock-pot-sccprc507b-060-slow-cooker-black-10149094-pdt.html

I have this one years and it's never let me down.. will fit a 1600g chicken easily and a decent piece of Roast Beef

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Aldi one here too, and a smart plug as a timer.

"Alexa, cook the dinner" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have you considered an instantpot, or similar electric pressure cooker. These can operate as slow cookers but can do other tasks.

Obviously it does pressure cooking but I make yogurt in mine too. They also would have timers (you can delay the start as well as the end) and keep warm functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah was going to say an Instant Pot might be a consideration. Since getting one anything that used to take me 8 hours to cook in the slow cooker now takes about an hour in the Instant Pot. It means theres no need to be prepping and cooking at 11 in the morning to get a dish on the table for 7pm. And of course the Instant Pot is also a slow cooker if you do want to use it that way. It also has a soup setting as well as being a rice cooker and vegetable steamer.

But if you just want a dedicated slow cooker then the Aldi/Lidl versions work well (Ambiano and Silvercrest brands). Had mine for 5 years without problems before I gave it away when I got the Instant Pot. The larger Tesco Extras also sell slow cookers and Argos too, maybe not all year around but they should be in stock at the moment. They're typically about 25-35 euro or so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Cheers for the suggestions guys.

The plan would be to put it on late in the evening to have the next day for lunch or throw on in the morning to have for dinner that evening. So speed isn't necessarily an issue as if I need something quick I can fire something together fairly easily.

We normally have a light lunch and decent dinner midweek and a decent lunch and dinner at weekends as we are all home together.

I suppose its more a case of when we start getting back to normal after the COVID lockdown starts to ease, something like this will just make life easier for us with one of us working from home and the other in the office.

With a little one running around, prep time for dinner is limited so if we can do that when she is sleeping, then switch it on and walk away its a big saving without having to sacrifice on quality of what you can for meals prepare with limited time available.

We do love dishes like hearty soups, casseroles, stews, curries and chilli con carne so this is a fairly obvious solution for us.

We also prefer cooking decent home cooked food rather than buying ready made meals as we are conscious of having a reasonably healthy diet with lots of fresh meat, veg and fruit consumed daily.

I would even go as far as buying a second pot insert so we don't have to wait for the other one to finish washing before we start on the next dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

rubadub wrote: »

Obviously it does pressure cooking but I make yogurt in mine too.

I'm loving' this idea. I'm sure I could do yogurt in my slow cooker, set to warm and maybe a timer to switch on and off in half hour intervals, bain marie style. 6 or 8 pots of inoculated milk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Forgot to add, found this one in Harvey Norman which looks to meet out needs, not sure we need one as big but that style of cooker. Haven't bought it yet but does look good.

[URL] https://www.harveynorman.ie/small-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/slow-and-rice-cookers/[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

And back on topic... Yes, the simplest €20 pot you can find.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

OP, if you're looking for recipe inspiration and tips you'll find lots in the Slow Cooker megathread :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468379

OP, if you're looking for recipe inspiration and tips you'll find lots in the Slow Cooker megathread :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468379

Thanks for that, I've been a long time lurker on that and other foodie threads on here. Some fantastic recipes pop up on them.

Advertisement