Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let me push that stool in for you: the off-topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

it's not nice when people don't like your produce even if it is genuinely poor.
    No, but when you're asking people to give you money for it, nice is neither here nor there. The right to shoot my ill-informed mouth off is part of what I pay for when I buy a beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

The Beer Nut is the only person doing regular, informed, and objective reviews in an Irish context. Irish beer Twitter reviewers/influencers are pretty terrible for the most part; especially those who assign gender pronouns to beer or use 'beaut' or 'banger' as a descriptor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The Beer Nut is the only blog I regularly check. I don't follow any beer Instagram or Twitter accounts since their "reviews" tend to be superficial. I have a couple of people on Untappd who's opinion I will pay heed to too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I just visited The Beer Nut's blog after not looking at it for quite a while. Bravo! Still going strong, and I enjoyed reading back several pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Then there are people on instagram like allaboutbeerireland who have a lot of posts but I've gone back through the last year of 'reviews' and there is not a bad word to say about any of them. I don't get the point if you're going to say every single beer is lovely!?

It shows an incredible level of contempt for the consumer, without whom there wouldn't be a craft beer industry at all

These people (not just in the beer world) are vampires and are only in it for themselves - likes, ad revenue, freebies... pushing dishonest opinions only damages the industry in the long run

Scrap the cap!

Didn't know soup bowls were going to be the next big thing in glassware:
    https://twitter.com/galwaybeer/status/1357765755664805889

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Didn't know soup bowls were going to be the next big thing in glassware
    Soup bowls have a greater validity than what these are: the bottom third chopped off a straight-sided pint glass. Whoever thought of that should take a long look at their life decisions.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I was in a bar in Sardinia once where the beer was served in dog bowls. Bloody hipsters. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

https://twitter.com/galwaybeer/status/1357765755664805889

That's actually hilarious, if I was served up a beer in a glass like that in one of their bars I'd demand a proper glass

• Advertisement

The glass shape looks exceptionally inconvenient - similar to a martini glass, looks like it's just waiting to spill as you try to move it to the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Zaph wrote: »
    I was in a bar in Sardinia once where the beer was served in dog bowls. Bloody hipsters. :mad:

Pictures or it didn't happen.

I use a similar shaped glass sometimes, that perfectly fits a 330ml can.
    Can't see much of an issue with it myself.

Effects wrote: »
    I use a similar shaped glass sometimes, that perfectly fits a 330ml can.
    Can't see much of an issue with it myself.

330ml can sideways?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Effects wrote: »
    Pictures or it didn't happen.

I tend not to take many photos I'm afraid, so can't help you out there. I do remember they had a decent selection of beers though, and that one of my friends had a rauchbier from her bowl. As a non-craft beer drinker that was a bit of a shock to her system. :D

Zaph wrote: »
    I tend not to take many photos I'm afraid, so can't help you out there.

I think a beer served in a dog bowl is worth documenting, if only for the people that won't believe it.

• Advertisement

Brickyard in Dundrum has just launched its own online shop: Yards & Crafts. Prices look a little more competitive than Craft Central, with the same €5 national delivery.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Brickyard in Dundrum has just launched its own online shop: Yards & Crafts. Prices look a little more competitive than Craft Central, with the same €5 national delivery.

Looks great, local to me too so can go in for growler and cans. They don't have much in the way of storage as far as I'm aware so I don't think their selection will match up to the likes of craft central. Maybe they'll expand but it'll be hard to do once the bar reopens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That hybrid style piques my interest, though.

As someone who loves bitter (well, balanced) hoppy beers, but hates NE style IPAs with a passion, I wonder if this hybrid would suit my palate?

Any other examples of this kind of thing?

That hybrid style piques my interest, though.

As someone who loves bitter (well, balanced) hoppy beers, but hates NE style IPAs with a passion, I wonder if this hybrid would suit my palate?

Any other examples of this kind of thing?

Nope.
    Didn't enjoy this at all.
    Very much NE ipa, to my taste.

Enjoyed Western herd blue jumper, though.

Nope.

You'll have to wait another few years before the NEIPA style popularity starts to die off I reckon. Same with the IBU/bitterness wars. I remember drinking Stone Arrogant Bastard years ago and having the same thoughts you have about NEIPA.

• Advertisement

You'll have to wait another few years before the NEIPA style popularity starts to die off
    Here's what's going to replace it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »

Surely just a DIPL then?

irish_goat wrote: »
    Surely just a DIPL then?

Sounds like an own brand cheap IPA.
    You know the type, lacking in body, a bit bitter.

Innovation should have stopped when I got tired of new styles!
    Around 2016, I reckon.

So this "cold IPA" ... Is it basically a dry, hoppy lager?

So this "cold IPA" ... Is it basically a dry, hoppy lager?

But stronger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Techno is now easier to pigeonhole than IPAs. Who'da thunk it.

Lough Gill Lost Armada is going down well in a West Coast kind of way right now.

But I can't help feeling that NE has somehow influenced new IPAs, even the self titled west coast ones. IPA is getting less bitter, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Fullers IPA and Shep Neame are good options for bitter ipas imo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Used to be able to get those in the supermarkets. Haven't seen them around for ages though.

• Advertisement

For me, I'm afraid, Shep Neame aren't a good option for anything except maybe an Irish stew.

I find them particularly bland.
    Fuller's I always likes a lot more.

My tastes would be more towards US/modern style IPAs

Used to be able to get those in the supermarkets. Haven't seen them around for ages though.

I was looking at them both in a local offie today

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was looking at them both in a local offie today

There was a Next Door off-licence I used to go to every now and again in Ennis that always had the Shepherd Neame stout and IPA. Alas, it would hardly be an essential journey at the moment! :D I remember enjoying their 1698 a long time ago when I was first dipping my toe into the world of beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Proper Job is a good, bitter IPA if you can get it down south. £1.70 a bottle in Sainsburys, decent value.

Nope.

Just had the Voyager NZ and I thought it was interesting. Looks and tastes like NEIPA but a nice level of bitterness on the back end you don't usually get with NEIPA. Not something I'd go looking for again but nice all the same

Proper Job is a good, bitter IPA if you can get it down south. £1.70 a bottle in Sainsburys, decent value.

yeah it's in SuperValu for a good price usually

lovely beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tesco have it and veyr nice it is too. Used to be in their 4 for €10 deal, not sure what it is now but more than €2.50 no doubt :rolleyes:

One of my favourites, Guinness West Indies Porter went from 4 for €10 in Tesco to €3.20 each!!!! €2.60 in Dunnes.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

For me, I'm afraid, Shep Neame aren't a good option for anything except maybe an Irish stew.

I find them particularly bland.
    Fuller's I always likes a lot more.

What are people's opinion on Shepherd Neame double stout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is there any way to buy Bernard dark lager in Ireland?

Foley's off-licence in Sligo don't have it anymore.

Any online seller in Ireland?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    What are people's opinion on Shepherd Neame double stout?

I used to really love it when I could get it. I think the Red Hen was the only bar in Limerick that ever had it in the fridge, maybe Mickey Martin's for a little while, but I'd get it any time I passed through Ennis before lockdown. The Next Door off-licence there usually had it in stock.

Figured the off topic thread might be the place for this, as opposed to a new thread.

Assuming you, as a beer enthusiast, have a couple of beers a week, what steps do you take to try maintain a balance lifestyle?

Related to this, who would be willing to put themselves out there and admit their average beer consumption per week? :D

Over lunch, I watched the Craft Beer Channel's Dry January video. Yer man counts up his average weekly units (I think it was 39 units) and clocking in at close to 4k calories of beer alone. He spoke to some addiction doctors & doctors who deal with alcohol. All very sobering ( :P) stuff.

It was reiterated the units thing is a guideline, and while 39 units per week might be damaging for one person, it might be tolerable for another. The addiction doctor said she was dealing with people consuming > 100 units per week, and they had serious liver problems.

I know myself between Lockdowns 1, 2 & 3, I've definitely gained weight between getting into beer & less activity (used to have a 15 min walk to & from work, plus walks at lunch). I'm working full time & studying full time, so barely get myself out for a walk let alone a run (I was good for that over the summer though!)

I'm a beer enthusiast

At the moment, I don't touch alcohol Sunday - Weds.

On a Thursday at the moment I'm doing a beer tasting course with the national homebrew club, so drinking beers is involved there every 2nd week, but normally I wouldn't drink on a Thursday either.

On a Friday myself and my wife have after work cocktails (2 each), then I'll drink 4 or 5 cans of craft beer (I mix it up between session IPA (4-5%) and stronger barrel aged stouts (8-10%) etc) and then on a Saturday I might drink up to 8 cans of the same sort of mix.

I'm actually on a weightloss thing at the moment, and I've lost two stone so far, I could be going down quicker if I cut out that beer I suppose, but I'm not a monk.

Oh I should say, in the first lockdown, when we had all that great weather, I must have drank a beer or two every single day for about 2 months, and the same consumption at the weekends as now, if not more.

I'd close my laptop, go out into the sunsoaked back garden and crack open a cold one.

I would have a few drinks 3-5 days of the week. I really feel like I want to jump in here and say "but if it's 5 days of the week then that's when I'd have very little!", but that's probably what a problem drinker would say, right?

In terms of beer consumption I would have 1-2 cans of beer maybe 2-3 of those days, in the early evening when I'm cooking dinner.

The majority of my drinks these days would be 1-2 whiskies or negronis later in the evening.

I do think this is more than is medically advised, it's hard to argue otherwise frankly. I would be more concerned about slightly elevating my odds of cancer or whatever else more than the calorie intake implications of drinking.

If you're gaining weight because of what you're drinking, the option is there to rein it in or adjust your calorie intake across other areas to put yourself in a deficit until you bring your weight under control. Of course you can exercise (I train 4 days per week, sometimes 5) but it's easier to have a sense of what your calorie intake is and deal with that than to attempt to 'out train' your bad diet. Training can help offset, however.

I think the risk with this kind of drinking is when it becomes a habit, and there is a slow creep. I have a wife and I guess we keep each other honest, but I have read accounts of people's slide into alcoholism and I can see that in the right circumstances, where perhaps you have problems in your life and the social stigma or concern you might have just goes out the window... Yeah, I can see how someone could comfort drink the way some people comfort eat.

There was one account I heard on a podcast which related to a guy who had been disabled in a war. He was in an office job and was generally unfulfilled and dealing with trauma. He got to a position where he was living for the weekends, when he would have a bottle of wine each night. That was the highlight of the week. So then that weekend bottle became a glass of wine every night. Then that became several glasses of wine every night, and eventually a bottle a night. Then two bottles a night. Then he started drinking during the day on the weekends. Then he started coming up with fake trips to leave his family to go away drinking heavily for full days on the weekend. Gradually he started having wine at lunchtime during the week, but when this wasn't enough anymore he started drinking vodka early in the morning when he got up, to get himself to lunchtime. Then he had to have vodka in the toilets at work. So, eventually, he reached a position where he was drinking constantly throughout every day of the week. And it had just crept up on him over the course of this long period, and all the while at each stage he was under the (mistaken) belief that the people around him didn't notice because he was being discreet. But of course... Most of us have encountered an alcoholic in our lives, maybe at work or even at school, who thinks they are flying under the radar... But they're not...

Lockdowns have definitely increased my beer intake, usually 4-5 beers on a Friday and Saturday night. Pre covid I wouldn't drink the night before a football game or early morning golf so that would keep me off the beer altogether sometimes on a weekend. No excuses these days to drink away on a Friday and Saturday night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dry January has definitely made me more conscious of all my alcohol intake. I'm definitely less likely to midweek booze now than I was previously, even in lockdown.

And where I'd crack open selection from Martin's of a Friday and Saturday, now they're as likely to stay in the pantry for a few weeks as be drank.

keep yer ipa in the fridge you madman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Year ago today was the last time I was in a pub without any restrictions - although I'd be reluctant to call it a "normal" evening in the pub; as the place was a ghost town because lots of people were already quite scared of going out.

Five days earlier was my last time in a Dublin pub without restrictions and it was pretty normal - that's how quickly stuff declined.

Because I live in Kildare, I did have a brief period of being able to go out without food and time limits (my local is cavernous, 2m distancing was not an issue) but it was still table service, screens, contact tracing etc.

All a bit of a pain for a pub blogger :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My last hurrah was in the Sidecar at The Westbury, we went big before we went home! I'd just lost my job and said **** it, I'm spending a few bob on myself before I go broke :pac:

Francis' Big Bangin' IPA in a deserted Waterloo on Baggot Street, before going to a crowded restaurant full of Cheltenham returnees. Lucky to be still alive tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement