Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son's help on Dissertation on Johnson Mooney & O'Brian

Options
  • 10-02-2021 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Bit of a strange request here I guess I would not normally get mixed up with my sons study, and given he's in 4th year you'd imagine things would be ok but he's having a hard time researching this dissertation he's to do on the old Irish company Johnson Mooney & O'Brian.

I really feel sorry for him , I probably would not even be aware of this only for the fact that we are all stuck at home given this bizare pandemic we have on our hands.

The dates of interest in terms of history of the business are from 1879 to 1972.

Now, the thing is, he really needs to just talk to an ex-worker/manager/ceo from the company who would know more about the business than the limited material thats available on websites etc.

The name just seems to be a brand name at this stage, I believe, taken over at some stage by Odlums in the 70's.

Anyway, basically what I'm asking is the posibility that someone may know someone who could know some of this history.

My son has no idea I'm doing this and a phone number of somebody to get talking too would be fantastic,

Many thanks
    Richie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Apologies if I've assumed spelling mistakes in your post but if you're referring to Johnston, Mooney & O'Brien, there's a good bit of info on their own website
    http://www.jmob.ie/history/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There’s also contact details on the site. Surely a handier way to contact people who work there...?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

JMR wrote: »
    Apologies if I've assumed spelling mistakes in your post but if you're referring to Johnston, Mooney & O'Brien, there's a good bit of info on their own website
    http://www.jmob.ie/history/

Sorry yes, my mistake ok....!!

The site doesent have enough of what he needs for a Thesis unfortunately,

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

endacl wrote: »
    There’s also contact details on the site. Surely a handier way to contact people who work there...?

Thanks, yes, also tried but to no avail, this is the type of trouble he's having, these things would be very handy ok if it were there....

Hes talked to people on the other end of those phone lines but dont seem overly interested to be bothered really....
    Need to to get the numbers of former long time employees that would have that kind of information not on the net....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I just had a quick look on LinkedIn.... Loads of people listed there. I would be inclined to message some of them! You will find one of them will be willing to chat I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Your son should be bringing up his difficulties with his dissertation supervisor. Usually, students need ethics approval to talk to people for research. I'm attending UL atm for a postgrad and they've been really clear about this.

If he has all the necessary approval, I'd consider calling a radio show like Ray D'arcy, who would put the word out for him.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Hes talked to people on the other end of those phone lines but dont seem overly interested to be bothered really....

Why would they be bothered? They're probably getting similar requests every other day.

I don't mean to sound nasty but I get requests at least once a week from students looking for this that and the other. They're a nuisance. I reply now and again but 9 out of 10 get sent to junk mail. I've better things to be doing and I'd imagine the staff at J, M, OB feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Scotty # wrote: »
    Why would they be bothered? They're probably getting similar requests every other day.

I don't mean to sound nasty but I get requests at least once a week from students looking for this that and the other. They're a nuisance. I reply now and again but 9 out of 10 get sent to junk mail. I've better things to be doing and I'd imagine the staff at J, M, OB feel the same.

Why not just issue a standard response - "Sorry John, I am unable to assist with your query" etc rather than ignoring them. Doesn't take long and people aren't left hanging.

Yea, you're right Newbridge... I'll set up a canned response and send that in future. You've shamed me into it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Why not just issue a standard response - "Sorry John, I am unable to assist with your query" etc rather than ignoring them. Doesn't take long and people aren't left hanging.

It's like a sales job. Ops son wants something from the employee (information). He is going to have to either a) find a common connection with someone they know and ask for a favor. Most will oblige. B) put in some leg work and engage with them on social media platforms learn about their target persona and give a compelling reason to talk.

They have no obligation to respond to cold emails or calls. Ops son isn't entitled to anything from them. The only thing they can do is try engage individuals and hope to get lucky. It's a tough one, but I'd advise him to network (on LinkedIn) and see if he knows any connections that's probably the simplest way.

• Advertisement

...he's having a hard time researching this dissertation he's to do on the old Irish company Johnson Mooney & O'Brian.
    Did he choose JMOB or were they assigned to him? Were they assigned to others also?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

This thread is going nowhere. OP, your child is in 4th year of university. Time to let him grow up and do his own research. :rolleyes:

Thread locked!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement