Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some advice on my situation

Options
  • 28-10-2018 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Excuse my naivety on the subject I've only thought about buying in the last month. Currently working and renting in Dublin. Paying a small fortune. I have approx 17k saved but since rent went mad in Dublin I haven't been able to add to this in the last 12-18 months. I am considering moving back to my parent place for about 18 months to save. Meaning an hour commute to work but I don't mind that. I've estimated this would allow me to have about 30k by Christmas 2019 (maybe march 2020)
    So, does anyone think prices may have dropped by then?
    Would it even be feasible for me to buy on one income with that deposit?
    Am I looking at finding myself stuck in my parents place then with rent going up more and me not being able to afford to move back.
    Obviously no one knows for sure just wondering if the wiser of us have any tips?

It’s also about your salary. If your on on 50k a year this means you can borrow 50x3.5= 175

This along with 30k in saving means you could afford a house for around 200ish. Is this doable in the area you want to buy in?dublin is quite pricey so you might need to look further afield.

Nobody has a crystal ball however the only reason why prices would fall would be if the world has another economic downturn such as Brexit, trade wars etc. if this happens. Prices will fall however at the same time, there will also be a credit crunch and unless your squeaky bum clean. You might not be able to even borrow the above figures

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you don't mind the hour commute than go outside Dublin and get something for a lot less money.
    You will always be chasing that house by spending another year saving money for a deposit in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 19,755 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I don't mind the hour commute for a year or so. Not an option forever. I already work outside the city but want to be able to move jobs if ever needed.

Ideal place to buy would be somewhere like Lucan. Since I don't make 50k a year does this mean I'm basically discriminated against for not being in a couple? So only individuals in top end jobs will ever be able to buy?
    Because there's not enough pressure on single females to "find someone" uuuugh

Discriminated against?

Hardly, you salary whatever it is just doesn't support owning your own property in Dublin .

You want to stay in Dublin then rent until that changes or move out of Dublin and buy elsewhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

A few points:

Prices will drop once there are more sellers than buyers, selling into what ever areas serve the same city. We're not close to that point in Dublin.

Given that people buying @4-500k to commute 90+ minutes to Dublin at the moment (Waverly/Ternlee etc.) to we're probably still some years away from affordable stock in Dublin, even second hand in the rougher areas.

This isn't single person discrimination, and it certainly isn't female discrimination. It's just how the market works post crash. Richer people live in the expensive areas, and right now those extend beyond 1 hour commute of Dublin.

Stick it out few years and you will get your property. The reason I can say this is that it will still be profitable to build houses and apartments at 200k within an hour of Dublin once ALL other buyers with more capital have been served. Source: I'm renting in a 2 bed bought new in 2012 for 165k one hour from Dublin.

A crash will also drop prices, but the "ring fence" the IMF made us put in around commercial banking would have to hold.

Alternativly just emigrate, it's what I'm doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭volchitsa

What about buying with a friend? People do that in London, the idea being that in a few years either one of the two buys out the other or both sell and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Add your name to local authority affordable housing lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I don't mind the hour commute for a year or so. Not an option forever. I already work outside the city but want to be able to move jobs if ever needed.

Ideal place to buy would be somewhere like Lucan. Since I don't make 50k a year does this mean I'm basically discriminated against for not being in a couple? So only individuals in top end jobs will ever be able to buy?
    Because there's not enough pressure on single females to "find someone" uuuugh

Discriminated?? That’s ridiculous

Apply to rebuild Ireland scheme and be more proactive. You potentially tick all the boxes for getting a mortgage that you require

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

volchitsa wrote: »
    What about buying with a friend? People do that in London, the idea being that in a few years either one of the two buys out the other or both sell and move on.

The banks are most unlikely to finance such a situation. These situations turned into a nightmare when properties went into negative equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You’re discriminated against in that same way that I’m discriminated against when I want to buy a Maserati.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Also, according to the AIB calculator I could get a house for 260k with a deposit and pay approx the same as I'm paying in rent now. Yet if I'm able to pay mad rent on time without issue why not allow me to have a mortgage???

Talk to aib then and ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I currently live in Dublin suburbs only 5k from the city center, I have a 1.5 hour commute...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Remember too that whatever your deposit is, you'll need about the same amount again to furnish the house.

I sympathise OP. It's definitely easier afford a house and incidental costs when there are two incomes rather than just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Did you fill it out correctly? I just went onto it and it spit out 3.5 times income. The above implies you are earning 67k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

Because a commitment to pay X amount per month while you rent a place isn't the same as a commitment to borrowing hundreds of thousands of euro over 30 years.
    What if a recession hits and you go into negative equity/lose your job? What about all of the additional costs of home ownership over and above the mortgage payment?
    It's not as simple as saying I pay the same amount in rent at this moment in time, therefore I should be able to borrow more money than is prudent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you like commuting by bus, yes.
    Wut?
    You’re discriminated against in that same way that I’m discriminated against when I want to buy a Maserati.
    Things are bad when you can't buy a Fiat :pac:
    It depends on how much percent of your wage goes towards rent. Some people stretch themselves too far to rent.

For example, when you say
    a bank may see that you cannot save after paying your current rent, and thus you may not be able to afford the mortgage if the rates increased slightly.
    "Majority of people" - where did you get that figure from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I just calculated the payments on a house worth 250k with a 25k deposit over 30/35 years and the repayments were 1000approx a month. I pay almost that in rent currently....

That's not how approvals for mortgages work though?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm aware I'm just saying you could give some with a salary of 150k a mortgage and they could easily lose their job too. It's frustrating is all

You don't seem to be thinking straight tbh. You've been told how calculations for mortgages work. The fact you are single and do not have a high income is what is impeding you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Could you get a job elsewhere and not have to buy in Dublin? Realistically, unless you increase your salary in a significant way or you meet someone else, you're going to struggle to buy. If another crash comes, house prices will drop but it may also get harder to get a mortgage.

Yeah but that's what annoys me. The fact I'm single is impeding me. I spent the most part of my 20s saving and now it's like I've no options to own until I climb the ladder in work which could take ten years

Have you looked into the help to buy scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm on a decent wage for my line of work and I'm happy in my job so don't wanna leave. It's just upsetting that I've been saving for the most part of my 20s and not I'm at a bit of a dead end

I appreciate your frustration but that is the situation we are in re. mortgage lending at the moment. The banks flung money at people who didn't have the capacity to repay it for large parts of the 2000s and it ended up in disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Unfortunately there is big international business effecting the market. Giant landlords in control of large portions of housing stock and renting them to the masses. The future for young people is to rent for life. The majority of people will be in that situation from here on. Some lucky people will inherit or earn enough to avoid it, but home ownership is under threat.

Personally, I'm doing everything I can so that I'm not one of those left behind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement