Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Misunderstanding

• 18-06-2018 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

A friend applied for a role and he got the position, he has a degree in Business and currently doing his Masters however he still has one year left. He started a new role about 1 week ago, in the welcome email his new boss when sending said email included his studies and said he holds an MSc, which he is due to obtain next year. He is confused how they misunderstood he has graduate from the MSc, this part was not covered in the interview...

I dont know what to advise him other than just say that he hasn't graduated yet, and it must have been a misunderstanding. Also his place does require proof (such as the actual diploma).

Any advise welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Has anyone ever actually been asked for proof of their educational credentials? I'd leave him crack on, chances are nobody will ever mention it again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Moved to Work & Jobs, take note of the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Did the job criteria include that it was essential to hold an MSc to work in the position? He/she might just be including it to say he's studying his masters this year. If he's concerned send a quick email to HR to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Anna2834

i have been asked myself - when i tried to show them - no one seemed to care.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Did the job criteria include that it was essential to hold an MSc to work in the position? He/she might just be including it to say he's studying his masters this year. If he's concerned send a quick email to HR to clarify.

Job states only to have a degree - that's all.

• Advertisement

Then he's fine. Boss just jumped the gun a bit on his future masters degree. If your friend is worried though, she could have a work with HR or the boss. Although it's hard not to been to be correcting him on the matter.

Worried is an understatement. Especially when he was asked to bring these details with him when starting last week (no one looked at them yet). He is more worried that when he doesn't produce this they will wonder what happened, did he lie on his CV was it not clear enough. Did he try to mislead them etc etc etc???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

This isn't a big deal whatsoever.

The boss is busy and made a mistake.

Personally I would make a casual comment to the boss that actually I am still in the middle off the M.Sc and will graduate next year, but thanks for making me look good. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Send an email in reply-all:

'Thanks [boss]. Won't officially have the MSc till June next year, but I appreciate the vote of confidence! Looking forward to working with you all.'

Keeps the tone light, makes a good start for his new colleagues, and now nobody can claim he misled anyone.

Edit: Exactly, OMM_0000 - great minds think alike!

thanks everyone I will show him the replies. I think he is way too embarrassed to mention this to his boss.

• Advertisement

No worrying. They hired hired him in the first place so he must be good:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,232 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Dear manager,

Thank you for sending the lengthy email introducing me to the team. I look forward to working with the team and making a meaningful contribution.

For the avoidance of confusion, I had made clear during the interview, I am currently studying for my M.Sc. I am confident that I will complete the course as planned and while I appreciate the vote of confidence implied in your email, I feel compelled to say that I am disappointed that a so-called manager would display such a lack of competence with respect to attention to detail. I hereby give your your first and only warning that any repeat of such sloppy behaviour will have severe consequences.

Sincerely
    Your future boss

Very funny indeed :) however unfortunately the educational part was not covered in the interview at all - that's why he is worried that the people who interviewed him might have misunderstood what he had written on the CV and might think that he is committing fraud or tried to deliberately mislead them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

If his CV said something like:

MSc in Chemistry (expected 2019)

I wouldn't expect any issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Anna2834 wrote: »
    2015 - Bachelor Degree in Quantum Phisycs
    2017 - MsC - Title of the dissertation and what he is looking to cover, the supervisors name for said dissertation (c )

Something along those lines I believe

To me that looks like he obtained it in 2017.

I’m guessing he obtained his Degree in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭irishrebe

Anna2834 wrote: »
    2015 - Bachelor Degree in Quantum Phisycs
    2017 - MsC - Title of the dissertation and what he is looking to cover, the supervisors name for said dissertation (c )

Something along those lines I believe
    Well, that IS misleading. It very clearly states here that he has the Master's. How could he expect anyone to think otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Send an email in reply-all

I wouldn't reply all.

And yes that really does look like he has the masters. In fact that's exactly what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭irishrebe

Send an email in reply-all

I won't reply all.

And yes that really does look like he has the masters. In fact that's exactly what it says.
    If I were the boss, I'd be wondering whether he purposely deceived me or if he's thick. Not sure which is worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Dear manager,

Thank you for sending the lengthy email introducing me to the team. I look forward to working with the team and making a meaningful contribution.

For the avoidance of confusion, I had made clear during the interview, I am currently studying for my M.Sc. I am confident that I will complete the course as planned and while I appreciate the vote of confidence implied in your email, I feel compelled to say that I am disappointed that a so-called manager would display such a lack of competence with respect to attention to detail. I hereby give your your first and only warning that any repeat of such sloppy behaviour will have severe consequences.

Sincerely
    Your future boss

This is sure to work! Coming from the master of "The Art of the Deal" and all..ðŸ˜

Thanks for the replies. I suggested he advises them of the misunderstanding or misinterpretation and hope they understand. He said he will advise them tomorrow. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

FTA69 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever actually been asked for proof of their educational credentials? I'd leave him crack on, chances are nobody will ever mention it again.

My brother was asked to bring his parchment to the company (consulting) which was odd, wouldnt accept transcripts.

Advertisement