Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Funds Local Authority Housing Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

trudy2222 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, so sorry if this question has been answered already.

Does the county council you apply to restrict your purchase to that county councils area alone? For example if applying to Fingal can I then only look to buy houses in the fingal area?

Thanks 😊

Yes, that’s correct. You apply in the county you want to buy in.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ad1234

would anyone know how they stress test you? Council has been full blown useless at answering questions. and the Housing agency has said straight out they will not answer the public's questions.
    As in what figures they test those with children at being able to afford to stay under the 35% of disposable income mark...
    Its so annoying that they wont say if a figure is too high or low being asked for like the way banks would say what their limit on you is, for such a long wait to hear you need to know if your filling it all in right from the first point.
    Finding it a nightmare to understand how they calculate this and used the housing agency and rebuilding calculator but they give limited information.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

ad1234 wrote: »
    would anyone know how they stress test you? Council has been full blown useless at answering questions. and the Housing agency has said straight out they will not answer the public's questions.
    As in what figures they test those with children at being able to afford to stay under the 35% of disposable income mark...
    Its so annoying that they wont say if a figure is too high or low being asked for like the way banks would say what their limit on you is, for such a long wait to hear you need to know if your filling it all in right from the first point.
    Finding it a nightmare to understand how they calculate this and used the housing agency and rebuilding calculator but they give limited information.

I am not too sure about the RI loan scheme, but the former LA loan scheme was mainly to get families out of rented (insecure) accommodation and into their own property. They do not put a figure on kids - like the banks do, for example 250€/ child - but they look at your ability to pay rent, plus all your bills and what you usually have left over for savings. Regular savings are crucial, when your rent payment is less than your mortgage repayment would be. The repayments have to be under 33% of your household income, if I remember right, or else the LA wouldn’t pre- approve you, or send your application onto the ICB for further approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

ad1234 wrote: »

Have you heard of an outcome to your application yet? when did you apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 foodiewarrior

ok people, anybody else got a mortgage approval?

2 months have passed since the start of applications. one person wrote he got a mortgage approval and 2 people said they got rejected. my guess is lot more people got some answers but are not writing their experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 robbo25

ok people, anybody else got a mortgage approval?

2 months have passed since the start of applications. one person wrote he got a mortgage approval and 2 people said they got rejected. my guess is lot more people got some answers but are not writing their experiences.

Still waiting. Rang today for an update but they said it would take the 6-8 weeks due to the number of applications received.

robbo25 wrote: »
    Still waiting. Rang today for an update but they said it would take the 6-8 weeks due to the number of applications received.

How many weeks in are you now Robbo?

SNNUS wrote: »
    How many weeks in are you now Robbo?

Just over 5 weeks, but guess there's been a few snow days and bank hols. They rang a couple of weeks ago looking for something so i was hoping it would be sooner. Hope they don't come back now looking for something else or say something isn't sufficient.

robbo25 wrote: »
    Just over 5 weeks, but guess there's been a few snow days and bank hols. They rang a couple of weeks ago looking for something so i was hoping it would be sooner. Hope they don't come back now looking for something else or say something isn't sufficient.

I'm 9 weeks in on Friday, They only asked me for some more details after I ringing to see if there is any update!

SNNUS wrote: »
    I'm 9 weeks in on Friday, They only asked me for some more details after I ringing to see if there is any update!

Ah no way! Hoping to hear something soon before all the houses go over 320k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭The boarder

I guess the wait time depends on the council you apply to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Can any of you help, I am looking to apply but finding it impossible to get the letters of offer. BOI want us to complete full mortgage application for it? Is there any way around this

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Can any of you help, I am looking to apply but finding it impossible to get the letters of offer. BOI want us to complete full mortgage application for it? Is there any way around this

I just rang BOI and told them up front I needed the letter. Maybe 10 min getting info from me and letter arrived three working days later.

Some info on how many have applied in Dublin and approved Loans. Rest of the country does not matter.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/first-time-buyers-flock-to-low-cost-mortgage-scheme-1.3455535

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Are people just leaving the details of property to be mortgaged, mortgage details and contact details (solicitor and valuation) blank? Bit of a mystic meg section.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭redmond08

Are people just leaving the details of property to be mortgaged, mortgage details and contact details (solicitor and valuation) blank? Bit of a mystic meg section.

Me and the girlfriend just dropped ours in today and we asked them about that section. They said just put the county of where you're looking to buy and the max mortgage you're applying for.

We had a clear rejection letter from one bank and the second bank said they'd approve us for a lesser amount than we'd need. Wouldn't that be considered a rejection/insufficient funds as we require a higher amount? There is a difference of €27000

• Registered Users Posts: 34 maxymo

redmond08 wrote: »
    Me and the girlfriend just dropped ours in today and we asked them about that section. They said just put the county of where you're looking to buy and the max mortgage you're applying for.

We had a clear rejection letter from one bank and the second bank said they'd approve us for a lesser amount than we'd need. Wouldn't that be considered a rejection/insufficient funds as we require a higher amount? There is a difference of €27000

My understanding is that it should be fine. I got the same situation and the person who received our application in Fingal said it was ok, of course underwriting will have the last word. Applied 4 weeks ago, still waiting for feedback/resolution.

maxymo wrote: »
    My understanding is that it should be fine. I got the same situation and the person who received our application in Fingal said it was ok, of course underwriting will have the last word. Applied 4 weeks ago, still waiting for feedback/resolution.

Cheers I was just making sure. I rang Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan and said it was fine, just the way the guy from the council was speaking, he wasn't sure. To tell you the truth, I think they're making it up as they go along and don't actually have any idea about it, I seemed to know more then him. We also had to get a letter of proof of where we work, but on the application form it already has that, stamped by the company and all haha. I couldn't understand it.

anybody tried applying in more than one County?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hensteeth20

Anyone hear anything back from Galway Co.Co.?
    Seven weeks in now and nothing beyond a receipt of application letter.

• Advertisement

anybody tried applying in more than one County?

Yes you can apply in more than one county, full application required for each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Has anyone heard back yet?

Was told that my application was with the credit commite and I would hear next week.

Has anyone heard back yet?

Was told that my application was with the credit commite and I would hear next week.

If you are at the credit committee stage that is a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hensteeth20

I was just told the same thing. Why do you think that's a good sign? The waiting is driving me insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

SNNUS wrote:
    If you are at the credit committee stage that is a good sign.

Yeah? Why is That? I was thinking it was negative, don't know why.

I was just told the same thing. Why do you think that's a good sign? The waiting is driving me insane.

I think if it is rejected from the housing agency then it does not go to credit committee and a letter is issued detailing reasons why.

If it goes to credit committee it has passed underwriters stage.

i got declined. exactly 6 weeks after apply.
    very very strange reason for decline!

i got declined. exactly 6 weeks after apply.
    very very strange reason for decline!

What were you declined for if you don't mind me asking?

"We have assessed your application. Unfortunately under our current credit policy, we are unable to offer you a loan due to the following reasons:
    -Declined net income ratio outside policy
    -Unsatisfactory savings record
    -Repayment capacity Not demonstrated"

:eek::confused:

-Repayment capacity Not demonstrated

:eek::confused: Am I missing something here? How did I not show that?

Declined net income ratio outside policy - Can someone explain to me what this is?

it's enough to say i'm shattered

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

"We have assessed your application. Unfortunately under our current credit policy, we are unable to offer you a loan due to the following reasons:
    -Declined net income ratio outside policy

Your net income- after tax and deductions- is outside the range they are willing to consider.

You have not shown a record of saving which would support the hypothesis that you were capable of meeting unexpected events- should you encounter them- which might impact on your repayments of your loan to the local authority.
    -Repayment capacity Not demonstrated"

Your current outgoings (rent or whatever)- is significantly below the outgoings that would have to be made for the loan in question- and you've not shown a record of consistently making these repayments.

Honestly- it sounds like they are doing a basic assessment of repayment capacities- they are not trying to shovel money out the door- they are trying to make sustainable loans- and you have, unfortunately, not shown the capacity to sustainably repay the payments that the loan would entail.

What I'd do- given a letter like this- if I was reasonably sure that it was factually incorrect- is contact the ICB and check my credit record to ensure there wasn't something there incorrectly (even a local authority loan is based on ICB scores- perhaps your score isn't where you imagine it to be?)?

Advertisement