Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kids and quad bikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

i disagree,, regardless of the age it seems that it was an unfortunate accident....

it of course is up to the parents to make sure that proper training is provided... lets not forget, most of the best drivers in the world
    Current Formula 1 drivers ,,, worl rally championship drivers and so on have been driving since they were 4 + years of age...

I would greatly disagree with banning young drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It would appear the kid was a passenger he wasn't driving, I do think 8 is too young for a kid to be allowed to drive such a thing. They aren't that fast or powerful though. At least not compared to cars or motorbikes.

Id wager the child wasn't wearing a helmet. In picture the quad is upright and not destroyed and the article says they were thrown from the bike. Id say neither of them were wearing helmets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

MadYaker wrote: »
    They aren't that fast or powerful though. At least not compared to cars or motorbikes.

Fast enough to kill so fast enough.

well of course that would depend on the training given,,,, i have met many kids who drive quads tractors and so forth to help there farther on farms and such... they have no problem whatsoever.. this nanny state stuff has to stop with parents wrapping there kids in cotton wool everytime something unfortunate happends....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Did ya ever see that Stephen King film 'Maximum Overdrive'....aw jaysis!

Anything with a plug or motor coming alive and goin' around killing people....jaysis!

Also, "rare enough" tragic accidents shouldn't be used as an excuse to introduce more "ninny nanny laws".

It was a tragic accident, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Graces7 wrote: »
    ....driving in the dingle recently met a wee boy herding sheep on one on the road.

According to the Gárda Síochána, the wee boy was probably breaking the law...
    Can ‘Quad’ bikes be used on the road?
    A quadricycle is a mechanically propelled vehicle, which means it is a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by mechanical or electrical power. As such, irrespective of engine capacity, under Road Traffic legislation the user of a ‘quad’ in a public place must have insurance, road tax, a driving licence and wear a helmet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I know the quad bike i'd give the kids I don't have.

A good crack on the arse

mike_ie wrote: »
    According to the Gárda Síochána, the wee boy was probably breaking the law...

to be fair i woul'nt believe anything the Garda Siochana have to say to be honest after the ****e they put those whistleblowers through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

I was driving quad bikes around fields when I was 12. I know plenty of people who were doing so at 8 too when I was a kid.

Happens a lot more than you think.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

MadYaker wrote: »
    They aren't that fast or powerful though. At least not compared to cars or motorbikes.

Completely different terrain though. The majority of quad bike death aren't related to speed - it's usually either head injuries because the bike has hit a rock or a root and the kid has been thrown, or asphyxia or serious chest injuries from being trapped by overturned vehicles.

It was a pretty hot topic in Australia when I lived there due to the frequency of deaths due to quad bikes - I know that they were proposing making roll bars and helmets mandatory at the time. Not sure what the outcome was though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah but this happened on a road, look at the pic.

His Dad was on it with him, he wasn't using it as a toy.

Poor little fella, my heart goes out to his family :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It's easier to turn over a quad than it is to fall off a moving motorcycle. By a factor of 10 it's easier. They are not stable platforms. That said, for the jobs they are used, they are excellent and needed. It was an unfortunate incident, and I feel bad for the childs family.

The Quad in the picture has a licence plate, so it possibly has insurance and tax. It's too clean to be an old farm vehicle, so I'm presuming it was for a leisure ride along nice roads.

And for those saying it definitely wasn't turned over, I wouldn't be too sure. The steering head column is broken with the bars facing one way and the wheels another.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

you should come to the dubin northside and see all the 8/9 years on quads

the guards cant do anything cos they cant catch them apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

I'd hate to see the age for a tractor license go upwards from 16. Chances are that most young people who are given the responsibility of operating farm machinery at 16 have been doing so for a few years beforehand, the only difference is they can now do it legally.

Thoughts and prayers with that family. 8 years old, what a tragedy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

It's easier to turn over a quad than it is to fall off a moving motorcycle. By a factor of 10 it's easier. They are not stable platforms. That said, for the jobs they are used, they are excellent and needed. It was an unfortunate incident, and I feel bad for the childs family.

The Quad in the picture has a licence plate, so it possibly has insurance and tax. It's too clean to be an old farm vehicle, so I'm presuming it was for a leisure ride along nice roads.

And for those saying it definitely wasn't turned over, I wouldn't be too sure. The steering head column is broken with the bars facing one way and the wheels another.

Usually no diff on them so that doesnt help. I was driving one on the road a few days ago and tis dodgy enough going around grand wide bends you'd take no notice of in a car, had to slow down to 20 or 25km for most of them.

I just hope this isnt used as an excuse by our FG overlords to go all banhammer on quads. Every day we are getting closer to living in a society where you're only allowed to sit on your hole and watch telly..with a license

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/boy-8-injured-in-quad-bike-crash-dies-in-hospital-30157361.html
    Ultan Hayes (8) was travelling on the bike with his father Brian when they lost control and hit a wall on Thursday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i don't think this is the right time to be discussing the rights and wrongs here. it's a terrible accident, and a family is suffering tremendously now.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Verwalt1

I'm wondering what is the best place to buy a childs quad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

Verwalt1 wrote: »
    I'm wondering what is the best place to buy a childs quad

This is probably not the best place to be asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The very minimum they would need is a roll bar.

Up until the 1980s it would be very common to see a tractor without one, and you often heard of people being hurt under one.

They are now on every tractor bar vintage ones and you rarely hear of someone being crushed under one.

Might not have helped here but people need to consider them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

my god... The poor dad. That is some burden to have on yourself.

RIP Ultan . :(

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Advertisement