Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where did you buy your cassette games?

• 14-05-2011 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭

My Dad use to bring me to Virgin Mega Stores in town during the late 80's - early 90's, I remember up stairs they had shelves and shelves of C-64 games, Amstrad, Spectrum etc. Flipping super place for games & a great place to spend a Saturday afternoon in those days. It was the only place I ever bought my Spectrum games other then one or two odd ball places that had a rack of them from time to time.

What I would do to go in some place right now and find a hugh shelf full of Spectrum games to have a good rummage through! I'd love that:(.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Peats on parnell st. In the old shop upstairs, me and the brother would head in on a saturday and pool our pocket money..

Happy days! Think the games were only a couple of quid. Tried virgin but they had feck all for our 130xe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

peatcass wrote: »
    Peats on parnell st. In the old shop upstairs, me and the brother would head in on a saturday and pool our pocket money..

Happy days! Think the games were only a couple of quid. Tried virgin but they had feck all for our 130xe :)

I remember peats but funnily enough I was only in it a hand full of times looking for games.

Im thinking possibly a majority of people on this forum are the playstation generation and probably don't remember or hadn't been conceived yet when the likes of me was buying zx spectrum/c64 games new in the shops lol. I'm 29 so not that fecking old like :p

Are there many c64/Amstrad/Amigs/ST/Spectrum era visitors on here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The big computer place in Clearys and HMV on grafton street for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

There was a shop in Clondalkin Village that sold Speccy until about 1995! My best mate as a kid had a spectrum until he got an N64.

• Advertisement

When the square opened in 1990' 'Harry moores' had a big selection of C64\Amiga games and little or no support for the Amstrad & Spectrum which was a pitty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When I was a lad I bought my games in a couple of places, Clerys and Easons, both on O'Connell St and then the Virgin Megastore when that opened.
    Also would have gone to QTH up on Dawson St and Harry Moores when that opened on Henry St.
    I shopped in HMV at that time too, as well as record shops, Golden Discs and the like.
    The forst games I bought I got in a litle shop that opened upstairs in a unit in the Castle Shopping Centre in Swords, thats going back a bit, 1985!
    It's been interesting to see the retailers ebb and flow over the years.
    Back in the 80's it was independant retailers and the various Irish dept stores, not to mention the Megastore.
    In the 90's then it shifted to the toy shops and large UK chains, before Gamesworld and Smyths took a chunk after the dawn of the 32bit systems.
    In the 00's we see it solidify into the UK chains and Gamestop and Smyths.
    And now in the 10's we see it shift further and further into online, with both physical media from amazon and play and also download.
    The last decades big retailers are already finding it hard to compete, and we see them opening online portals to keep up.
    Be interesting to see where we all shop in 10 years time!

paperwork wrote: »
    There was a shop in Clondalkin Village that sold Speccy until about 1995! My best mate as a kid had a spectrum until he got an N64.

The very last of the spectrum games in vigin mega stores I have seen for sale was in late 95' and they sold them in packs of 4,5 or maybe 6 just to clear em out. 'mastertronics' re released alot of games at that point swell in similar packs labelled 'sports' 'racing' etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

i remember these shops too,local one sold migs/c64s,looking back before the internet shopping you wonder how much of a mark up some of these retailiers had,thing was,nobody else sold these things in ireland,you just had to make do with what they had.

Even when came to repairs,we didnt have a quick or disposable income as do now,great that you can search on the net to find the answer before you returned the item,usually the seller would tell you it would had to be "returned to england" for repairs,then when sony arrived to open offices in ireland,ireland became an intresting place to do business.

Did speak to retailer recently who i remember sold c64 games,telling me humourous story of getting his osciloscope out to correct the misalignments that the old tape/disk drives used to get sometimes.

Think the last big speccy game was codemasters Robin Hood - Legend Quest which came out in 93!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

I remember one of the only places you could get Atari 2600 games in Wexford during the 80's was a chemist in town. Always thought that was a bit strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Im a c64 player (just got myself set up with the system and favorite game of my youth again) I used to buy games in the computer shop in Northside shopping centre. I also remember going into town with my nanny a few times and she brought me to a shop on Henry st, i cant remember the name of the shop though it was small and literally had wall to wall cassette games. It was heaven!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

In Dublin there was a shop on Earl street or Cathedral st that had all c64 /Amstrad/ sinclair / spectrum etc games.

Apollo 1 on Moore st too was great for all these games also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Computer shop in the Ilac centre .. and Banba used to sell games also..
    I also used to get them from the rental companies in the UK.

but primarily <cough> borrowing games via my double tape deck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

like the OP I use to get my c64 games in Virgin megastore.I can remember quiete clearly buying the last ninja 3 there for 13.99.

They also use to sell rpg's like dungeon and dragons near the games section.

Peats was the wrong side of town for me

Use to buy my budget games(mainly codemasters) in the banba in rathmines.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Be interesting to see where we all shop in 10 years time!

uTorrents probably:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

used to buy in the Megastore or Easons but i also used to buy them in the games rental place on Cathal Brugha st called Computer City
    I used to go in there every Saturday to rent a game for Speccy and then later the Amiga until it closed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

paperwork wrote: »

Used to buy c64 games in Tuthills and Electrovision too i think the name of it was, in the village too.

Peats in Parnell ST too.

Nice to hear where people had been getting their stuff:)

Does Rage there in Dublin sell any old C64, spectrum, amiga, Amstrad games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yeah Virgin was where I got the new releases for c64.
    Budget games from Mulveys in Dundrum.
    Great shop in it's day.Hardware store and a massive wall full of c64 and Speccy games for a fiver.Heaven

Speccy was big in eastern europe,many clones where made,funny story is some radio stations former ussr states actually broadcasted the games on radio,wiki picks up-
    One unusual software distribution method were radio or television shows in e.g. Croatia (Radio 101), Serbia (Ventilator 202), Slovenia (Radio Študent), Poland, Czechoslovakia, Romania or Brazil, where the host would describe a program, instruct the audience to connect a cassette tape recorder to the radio or TV and then broadcast the program over the airwaves in audio format. In former Soviet Union, mostly in Russia and Ukraine unauthorised radio operators (so-called radio hooligans) often exchanged software from cassette tapes for Spectrum and other popular computers by broadcasting it.
    Another unusual method which was used by some magazines were 7" 33⅓ rpm "flexidisc" records, not the hard vinyl ones, which could be played on a standard record player. These disks were known as "floppy ROMs".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Jesus that's a great idea.Never thought about it before.
    Pirate radio stations broadcasting games would have been great back in the day

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

mondeo wrote: »
    When the square opened in 1990' 'Harry moores' had a big selection of C64\Amiga games and little or no support for the Amstrad & Spectrum which was a pitty.
    hey I worked there!
    It was much later though , the mid nineties , I remember doing the sega saturn and Playstation launches!
    Since I'd an Atari computer Peats was where I got most of my tape games , and oddly enough a lot of my megadrive games came from there!
    When I got the c64 Easons and virgin where great places to buy games as well!

hey I worked there!
    It was much later though , the mid nineties , I remember doing the sega saturn and Playstation launches!
    Since I'd an Atari computer Peats was where I got most of my tape games , and oddly enough a lot of my megadrive games came from there!
    When I got the c64 Easons and virgin where great places to buy games as well!

It was a nice enough place Harry moores, I did buy a dot matrix printer there back around 92'. I remember the Saturn launches there and the big screen near the entrance with sega rally on it, my jaw dropped when I saw that game:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Not so much for the saturn , but around the time of the PS1 launch , and for about a year afterwards a few of us used to hang back after work and have tekken/tekken 2 and ridge racer tournaments, i remember Soul Blade getting a fair bit of play later as well.
    Actually one of the cool things (and I can probably say this now) was that over christmas or the odd weekend we were allowed sign out a playstation and a few games , on condition that a it was returned exactly the way it was taken out ( as it was going to be sold) and b we didnt mention it to anyone.
    This was back when the playstation was 2-300 quid and the games were 30-40 so it was great!
    It worked well until late in 1996 some numpty forgot to pack the controller back in the box , and we'd an irate mammy in the shop the day after stevens day complaining that her sons christmas was ruined! He got a few games as compensation so he was delighted but the "loan scheme" went out the window after that:)
    I remember lots of cool things about working there , on occaison we'd loan one of the other eletrical shops( RTV rentals I think it was ) consoles and games when they were out of stock and they'd return the favor when we were out , it was all very friendly, the time of shops in ireland acting like that is all gone sadly...

Not so much for the saturn , but around the time of the PS1 launch , and for about a year afterwards a few of us used to hang back after work and have tekken/tekken 2 and ridge racer tournaments, i remember Soul Blade getting a fair bit of play later as well.
    Actually one of the cool things (and I can probably say this now) was that over christmas or the odd weekend we were allowed sign out a playstation and a few games , on condition that a it was returned exactly the way it was taken out ( as it was going to be sold) and b we didnt mention it to anyone.
    This was back when the playstation was 2-300 quid and the games were 30-40 so it was great!
    It worked well until late in 1996 some numpty forgot to pack the controller back in the box , and we'd an irate mammy in the shop the day after stevens day complaining that her sons christmas was ruined! He got a few games as compensation so he was delighted but the "loan scheme" went out the window after that:)
    I remember lots of cool things about working there , on occaison we'd loan one of the other eletrical shops( RTV rentals I think it was ) consoles and games when they were out of stock and they'd return the favor when we were out , it was all very friendly, the time of shops in ireland acting like that is all gone sadly...

I'll say nothing if you don't kind of thing;)

Nice of them!

Budget games from Mulveys in Dundrum.
    use to rent the games from there and copy them with my twin deck:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Got mine from Maddens in Cork on Princes Street, they used to have carousels of cassettes on the wall there. Bought my C64 there too as an upgrade from my Vic20. Always remember the gorgeous flight sim joysticks they had too - wanted to buy one which had an artificial horizon in a globe at the centre of it, but my confirmation money wouldn't stretch to both the C64 and the joystick.

Got mine from Maddens in Cork on Princes Street, they used to have carousels of cassettes on the wall there. Bought my C64 there too as an upgrade from my Vic20. Always remember the gorgeous flight sim joysticks they had too - wanted to buy one which had an artificial horizon in a glove at the centre of it, but my confirmation money wouldn't stretch to both the C64 and the joystick.

You done well to get a c64 out of your confirmation money. I got 20quid for my confirmation, a packet of colored marbles and a kick in the arse!
    I considered myself lucky :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

used get mine in music shop in carrick on suir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Speccy was big in eastern europe,many clones where made,funny story is some radio stations former ussr states actually broadcasted the games on radio,wiki picks up-

I used to have a computer game radio programme called The Binary Zone back in 1995 and tried this out once... it didn't really work very well.
    ciaran76 wrote: »
    In Dublin there was a shop on Earl street or Cathedral st that had all c64 /Amstrad/ sinclair / spectrum etc games.

Apollo 1 on Moore st too was great for all these games also.

I loved Apollo 1. Got lots of great Codemasters games in there... Think it's where I was first introduced to Dizzy.

And of course Computer City was great for renting and copying...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I used to buy my c64 games in a shop upstairs in the bowling alley in palmerstown, no idea what its called to be honest but spent a fortune in there. if i was in town i used to get em in peats too. i think thats where i got my actual c64 with the light gun and batman the caped crusader!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Wow

Peats (Dublin)
    Computer City (Dublin)
    Virgin (Dublin)
    Clearys (Dublin)
    Astra (Swords)

There's probably a few more that I can't remember right now. God be with the days you could walk into a newsagent pick up a bar of chocolate and a c64 compilation tape. Usually there was only one good game on there but it probably cost less the 1.99.

Computer city alway6s had a good selection of Hit squad and Kixx releases. I picked up the c64 version of The New Zeland story and Rainbow Islands :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I used to get games for my Amstrad CPC 464 in a place called Alo Donegans in Naas. And also from another shop called Ambrose Donegans also in Naas. I think they were/are brothers or something like that.

I remember when I had an Amiga 600 and was doing some coding and graphics/raytracing stuff on it and going into Alo Donegans looking for software and hardware and we always ended up arguing about which was better, the Amiga or his extremely boring 386/486 PC's.

When I was a bit older I used to make the long and arduous quest from Kill Village in Kildare to Dublin to go to the Virgin Megastore and a few other shops to get Amiga games.

Good times :D

Got most of my Amiga games in the North Star Hotel... haha...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Shop in Tullamore called "Rexonics", is still there but shut down decades ago, still has all the signs and such up on the windows. Remember getting Amastrad games for £5 back then, pity the vast amount of them were bull :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

LoGiE wrote: »
    Astra (Swords)

Where in Swords?
    I hail from that kip, was it the place upstairs in the Castle Shopping Centre or the videoshop in the same centre?
    I got Spy Hunter in the latter and Lunar Jetman in the former!

I remember the utter disbelief when I first played Knight Lore, amazing!
    I also had a penchant for the Magic Knight games, a great little character that, pity I was too thick to get far in the later games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I used to get really excited about the artwork on the cover. Some futuristic space ship, or a fantastic illustration of a platformer. Then you'd load it, and it'd be an 8 bit sprite no matter how much you wanted it to be a 64 bit pologon :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Xenon was a big offender for that, looking at the cover you'd think a ps3 would struggle with the graphics!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Daith

Skerries wrote: »
    used to buy in the Megastore or Easons but i also used to buy them in the games rental place on Cathal Brugha st called Computer City
    I used to go in there every Saturday to rent a game for Speccy and then later the Amiga until it closed :(

That's the one I remember most. Mainly because they had a copy of The Legend of Zelda for the NES. I was hooked by box and blurb and well, thats when I gave up playing games on cassette!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

i seem to remember it being all mail order for the Spectrum 48k in the 80s. i used to love poring over the ads in C&VG (THE gaming magazine of the time) and occasionally sending off handwritten letters and postal orders to places like Stevenage. Other than that there was older friend of the family geek who made reliable cassette copies (which was no mean feat at the time when a lot of dubbing was done by playing on one boombox, putting another one opposite it and hitting record) of stuff like Sabre Wulf and, my all time favourite on the speccy - Pyjamarama

grandpa%2Bsimpson.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭gertechhaha

My Dad use to bring me to Virgin Mega Stores in town during the late 80's - early 90's, I remember up stairs they had shelves and shelves of C-64 games, Amstrad, Spectrum etc. Flipping super place for games & a great place to spend a Saturday afternoon in those days. It was the only place I ever bought my Spectrum games other then one or two odd ball places that had a rack of them from time to time.

What I would do to go in some place right now and find a hugh shelf full of Spectrum games to have a good rummage through! I'd love that:(.

i always got mine in smyths,master system,mega drive,nintendo 64,wish there was a gamestop back then,wud have got alot more games

i always got mine in smyths,master system,mega drive,nintendo 64,wish there was a gamestop back then,wud have got alot more games

Smyths toy store in Tallaght? I bought gamegear/master system games there when they first opened their doors in late 1992'. I dont remember them selling Commodore etc cassettes, then again maybe they did :confused:

I think when Smyths popped up, cassette games were in the phasing out stages and possibly kept their stock to the new age megadrive/Snes generation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

DinoRex wrote: »
    Got most of my Amiga games in the North Star Hotel... haha...

That takes me back! Lugging my amiga into town...

CiDeRmAn it was the one above castle video. He moved a few times if I remember correctly twice on North Street. The second time he opened a small arcade as well that had street fighter 2, Mortal Kombat and a few others. Bloody hell that was a long time ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I've got my whole Atari cassettes collection (more than 60) off Stoner. good man

LoGiE wrote: »
    That takes me back! Lugging my amiga into town...

CiDeRmAn it was the one above castle video. He moved a few times if I remember correctly twice on North Street. The second time he opened a small arcade as well that had street fighter 2, Mortal Kombat and a few others. Bloody hell that was a long time ago!

Some of us are fierce fierce old here!

As for things being mail order, I remember the ads in C&VG, also in Sinclair User as well.
    I never had the means of ordering though, instead trekking into Clerys and Easons every now and again....
    Good Times!

That expectant wait as the game was loading, assuming you hadn't bolloxed up your tape head alignments!
    Then, would you be :) or :(
    I never bought a game without a review from Crash in the end, too many disappointments, sh1te games didn't begin with Pitfighter and Rise of the Robots, they are persistent through out time!

Cleary's was great for Amiga stuff.

I'm remember getting so much CD-32 stuff in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭gertechhaha

Smyths toy store in Tallaght? I bought gamegear/master system games there when they first opened their doors in late 1992'. I dont remember them selling Commodore etc cassettes, then again maybe they did :confused:

I think when Smyths popped up, cassette games were in the phasing out stages and possibly kept their stock to the new age megadrive/Snes generation.

no,smyths in henry street,limerick.i dont remember commodore cassettes either,little bit before my time haha

its what most people bought an amiga/pc for back then,copy machines,even bad influence covered it lmao-

Or going into pound shop to get tapes to back them up original software by using your dads/brothers twin tape deck stereo.

Advertisement