Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dentist,

• 14-11-2018 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

has anyone felt they were ripped off by a dentist? my daughter 23 year old needed braces-- so advertised on local radio a new clinic in the area, when she went everything was great they took a look and said she needed root canal work done on 3 teeth, at the moment she has given them 2000 and she just can't afford to keep going , i suggested she get a second opinion, on visiting another dentist he could'nt believe her story he said there was no need for most of the work she has got done. would she have the right to confront them about this? she feels so let down by them and the money she wasted.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Sounds bad... although did the 2nd dentist have access to the x-rays before the work was done ?

There seems to be this crowd https://dentalcomplaints.ie and various solicitors around.

But maybe it is worth ringing up that initial dentist and expressing concern that the treatment was considered unnecessary by another dentist and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Go to the Dental Council. I know a dentist and they are getting tons of junk mail to their home address from these "clinics".

They offer a cut if they were to refer a patient to them. They bin them right away.

Edit- Phoned them. 100% Dental Council and go back to the person that did the work and ask for proof that the work was needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Dentists are robbing scumbags.
    They lie to you and make up stuff you need that you don't just to rob you.
    I was last at a dentists in 2000, before I went to America on a J1, I had a small gap in my teeth and he told me if I didn't fix it , I wouldn't get a job in the USA - scumbag.

OK so I didn't get the toothpaste commercial, but no problem getting work, when I told Americans they laughed, even though they love their teeth they thought it was ridiculous that a dentist would say that - just imagine the mentality of someone that would use a young kids fear of going to work abroad for the 1st time, to try and extort what little money that have ??? -Again SCUMBAG.

Anyway, been almost 20 years and have had no problems with my teeth - I take good care of them, but I just know if I went to see one of the scumbags he'd say "You need this that and this ... " €5k please ....

I don't deal with scumbags.

Did I mention dentists are scumbags ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Dentists are robbing scumbags.
    They lie to you and make up stuff you need that you don't just to rob you.
    I was last at a dentists in 2000, before I went to America on a J1, I had a small gap in my teeth and he told me if I didn't fix it , I wouldn't get a job in the USA - scumbag.

OK so I didn't get the toothpaste commercial, but no problem getting work, when I told Americans they laughed, even though they love their teeth they thought it was ridiculous that a dentist would say that - just imagine the mentality of someone that would use a young kids fear of going to work abroad for the 1st time, to try and extort what little money that have ??? -Again SCUMBAG.

Anyway, been almost 20 years and have had no problems with my teeth - I take good care of them, but I just know if I went to see one of the scumbags he'd say "You need this that and this ... " €5k please ....

I don't deal with scumbags.

Did I mention dentists are scumbags ?

I'm a dentist and I'll knock your delph out of you keep that up.

*Disclaimer , may or may not be true.

I did have a tooth pulled recently , dentist wouldn't let me bring it home.I reckon she fitted it back into someone's mouth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

My parents get their teeth done in the continent. Cheaper and better quality dentists in Croatia and Germany they said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

I will tell you about dentists. - Its a complete self interest profession in Ireland. They are like pharmacists Pre Boots entry to the Irish market.
    An example, One guy in my town made 1 million from welfare patients last year alone.

The market needs to be deregulated - this will happen, one can go to any other country in the developed world and get better dental treatment for a fraction of the cost.

My parents get their teeth done in the continent. Cheaper and better quality dentists in Croatia and Germany they said

If they looked after thier teeth originally , they wouldn't have to go abroad .
    Just sayin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

6541 wrote: »
    I will tell you about dentists. - Its a complete self interest profession in Ireland. They are like pharmacists Pre Boots entry to the Irish market.
    An example, One guy in my town made 1 million from welfare patients last year alone.

The market needs to be deregulated - this will happen, one can go to any other country in the developed world and get better dental treatment for a fraction of the cost.

1 million euro is an awful lot of fillings and pulling of teeth. He would need to be seeing nearly 200 patients a week to get to that figure. Fair play to somebody who works that hard.

If they looked after thier teeth originally , they wouldn't have to go abroad .
    Just sayin'.

Are you an Irish dentist? Maybe stop the extortion and people wont go abroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There's a dental forum here that you could ask in. I asked about going abroad for cheaper treatment and there's aguy there that replies to every thread implying that only Irish dentists are worth going to and only if you pay the highest prices.

However there does appear to be a mod there who answers questions quite honestly. Might be worth following up there and doing what prinzeugen said above.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=627&order=desc&page=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Whiskey and pliers.....just like in the Cowboy movies

Grayson wrote: »
    There's a dental forum here that you could ask in. I asked about going abroad for cheaper treatment and there's aguy there that replies to every thread implying that only Irish dentists are worth going to and only if you pay the highest prices.

However there does appear to be a mod there who answers questions quite honestly. Might be worth following up there and doing what prinzeugen said above.

There are shills in every forum unfortunately.

that is a misrepresentation lie. I follow that forum and no poster has ever said or implied "only Irish dentists are worth going to and only if you pay the highest prices." They do caution against some of the pitfalls of work abroad, especially for people who require a lot of work. There is a also a poster who has had work done abroad and is seemingly happy with despite it failing much earlier than expected.

that is a misrepresentation lie. I follow that forum and no poster has ever said or implied "only Irish dentists are worth going to and only if you pay the highest prices." They do caution against some of the pitfalls of work abroad, especially for people who require a lot of work. There is a also a poster who has had work done abroad and is seemingly happy with despite it failing much earlier than expected.

How much do you get paid to defend irish dentists in forums?

How much do you get paid to defend irish dentists in forums?

How much are you getting paid to post nonsense?

Whats nonsense? That dentists in germany are better? Or that dentistry in Ireland is a scam?

Will you take a cheque ? Ah feck it , stupid brain.

Whats nonsense? That dentists in germany are better? Or that dentistry in Ireland is a scam?

How do you know dentists in Germany are better ?

WTF? You think I just made that up? Do you think I have an agenda?

that is not what i responded to. do try to keep up.

• Advertisement

Will you take a cheque ? Ah feck it , stupid brain.

Happily. make it out to C. Ash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Well, mine is very good, she is an older sensible woman, she will also do deals, let people pay off over time and has a price list up in the reception, the sugary is lovely. Maybe people need to shop around a bit. However, it is our privatised system that is causing a lot of the issues in the UK its the NHS my daughter got work done that cost 75 pounds here it would have been about 2000 euro.

WTF? You think I just made that up? Do you think I have an agenda?

I have no idea what agenda you have but what you said was not correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

OH, I WISH I'D LOOKED AFTER MY TEETH

Oh, I wish I'd looked after me teeth,
    And spotted the perils beneath,
    All the toffees I chewed,
    And the sweet sticky food,
    Oh, I wish I'd looked after me teeth.

I wish I'd been that much more willin'
    When I had more tooth there than fillin'
    To pass up gobstoppers,
    From respect to me choppers
    And to buy something else with me shillin'.

When I think of the lollies I licked,
    And the liquorice allsorts I picked,
    Sherbet dabs, big and little,
    All that hard peanut brittle,
    My conscience gets horribly pricked.

My Mother, she told me no end,
    "If you got a tooth, you got a friend"
    I was young then, and careless,
    My toothbrush was hairless,
    I never had much time to spend.

Oh I showed them the toothpaste all right,
    I flashed it about late at night,
    But up-and-down brushin'
    And pokin' and fussin'
    Didn't seem worth the time... I could bite!

If I'd known I was paving the way,
    To cavities, caps and decay,
    The murder of fiIlin's
    Injections and drillin's
    I'd have thrown all me sherbet away.

So I lay in the old dentist's chair,
    And I gaze up his nose in despair,
    And his drill it do whine,
    In these molars of mine,
    "Two amalgum," he'll say, "for in there."

How I laughed at my Mother's false teeth,
    As they foamed in the waters beneath,
    But now comes the reckonin'
    It's me hey are beckonin'
    Oh, I wish I'd looked after me teeth

I have no idea what agenda you have but what you said was not correct.

Look up any thread there where people ask about going abroad or even up north. There's a poster who's user ID begins with F. They reply to every thread about it. They manage to say that there are cheap dentists in Ireland whilst in other threads (Or even the same threads) saying that if you try to find a cheaper dentist you'll get worse treatment.

Look up any thread there where people ask about going abroad or even up north. There's a poster who's user ID begins with F. They reply to every thread about it. They manage to say that there are cheap dentists in Ireland whilst in other threads (Or even the same threads) saying that if you try to find a cheaper dentist you'll get worse treatment.

I know the poster you refer too and i have never seen them say that cheaper = worse. Care to link to one of those posts?

I know the poster you refer too and i have never seen them say that cheaper = worse. Care to link to one of those posts?

Jesus dude. Did I hit a nerve? I'm not making this sh1t up. Why the hell would I have an agenda? You think I'm working for the hungarian dentist association? Maybe I'm working for the illumaniti in an anti dentist conspiracy?

I'm certainly not going to link to, or identify, an individual poster. There's two threads on the first three pages in that forum where they're actively arguing against going abroad or going north. In both cases where they argue against it they say that it's better to spend more here. That's the most I'll say.

Honestly it sounds like you have an agenda. We're arguing that there's a single poster in the dental forums that has issues with people finding cheaper treatment. You seem to think that's outrageous. You've even gone so far as to imply I have an agenda and I'm lying. I'm going to leave this thread now. It's the dumbest argument I've even been in. The evidence is clear, anyone can go and see it and you're overreacting.

Jesus dude. Did I hit a nerve? I'm not making this sh1t up. Why the hell would I have an agenda? You think I'm working for the hungarian dentist association? Maybe I'm working for the illumaniti in an anti dentist conspiracy?

I'm certainly not going to link to, or identify, an individual poster. There's two threads on the first three pages in that forum where they're actively arguing against going abroad or going north. In both cases where they argue against it they say that it's better to spend more here. That's the most I'll say.

Honestly it sounds like you have an agenda. We're arguing that there's a single poster in the dental forums that has issues with people finding cheaper treatment. You seem to think that's outrageous.

I think you have just made it up. Or at the very least reading their posts reading their posts incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Dentist summed up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Going to the Dental Forum and asking for advice on treatment abroad is like walking into Tesco and asking them if you should shop in Dunnes. They're never going to encourage it!

that is not what i responded to. do try to keep up.

Yikes. If theres any proof of Irish dentistry being shilled here its this guy

Yikes. If theres any proof of Irish dentistry being shilled here its this guy

still cant figure out what you are responding to i see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

6541 wrote: »

What are you basing that on? Are you his accountant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am deeply thankful I am past all that. Deeply.. False teeth are grand, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

mariaalice wrote: »
    OH, I WISH I'D LOOKED AFTER MY TEETH

Oh, I wish I'd looked after me teeth,
    And spotted the perils beneath,
    All the toffees I chewed,
    And the sweet sticky food,
    Oh, I wish I'd looked after me teeth.

I wish I'd been that much more willin'
    When I had more tooth there than fillin'
    To pass up gobstoppers,
    From respect to me choppers
    And to buy something else with me shillin'.

When I think of the lollies I licked,
    And the liquorice allsorts I picked,
    Sherbet dabs, big and little,
    All that hard peanut brittle,
    My conscience gets horribly pricked.

My Mother, she told me no end,
    "If you got a tooth, you got a friend"
    I was young then, and careless,
    My toothbrush was hairless,
    I never had much time to spend.

Oh I showed them the toothpaste all right,
    I flashed it about late at night,
    But up-and-down brushin'
    And pokin' and fussin'
    Didn't seem worth the time... I could bite!

If I'd known I was paving the way,
    To cavities, caps and decay,
    The murder of fiIlin's
    Injections and drillin's
    I'd have thrown all me sherbet away.

So I lay in the old dentist's chair,
    And I gaze up his nose in despair,
    And his drill it do whine,
    In these molars of mine,
    "Two amalgum," he'll say, "for in there."

How I laughed at my Mother's false teeth,
    As they foamed in the waters beneath,
    But now comes the reckonin'
    It's me hey are beckonin'
    Oh, I wish I'd looked after me teeth

AH good old Pam. remember this from years ago,:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Should have gone to an orthodontist about the braces not a normal dentist tbh.

Root canals are expensive alright. It's strange to need that many out of the blue. A lot of them are due to existing fillings failing or an injury or something. Not an expert but in my experience usually there would be some pain or sensitivity beforehand. Does sound like a scam. I don't know if there's anything you can do about it though?

Advertisement