Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underrated places/sights

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

MayoForSam wrote: »
    +1 - Italy is fantastic, you can add Lucca, Lecce, Treviso, Bologna and Ferrara to your list. Hill towns in Puglia are also hidden gems - Matera, Locorotondo, Ostuni, Cisternino. Elba is also well worth a visit (we spent our honeymoon there many years ago).

If you're in Krakow, don't miss the salt mines.

Matera is amazing, truly spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Yes its the fire escape reason that its closed.

I can't imagine a scenario where people couldn't use the regular stairs from those 2 balconies and then use the regular fire escape.... it's checking boxes.

If it’s a safety requirement that they have to put them in, it’s hardly their fault. The railing on that level was also very low as I recall, very easy for someone to fall over. I’d imagine it’s a listed building too which probably slows down any work being done. And let’s not forget that a staircase collapsed in this museum a decade ago. It’s a rickety enough building that I’d imagine needs a lot of work done on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Birneybau wrote: »
    Can highly recommend Albania. Did the below tour a few months ago, bit of a lungbuster, but spectacular. Also, spent a day/night in Pogorica in Montenegro, flew home from there, and would have like to have spent more time there.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/albania/travel-tips-and-articles/hiking-in-albanias-accursed-mountains/40625c8c-8a11-5710-a052-1479d27619f0

Looks amazing. What was the hike like, pretty tough? Also what airline flys to Pogorica?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    You can travel to an uninspiring destination and meet really cool people which makes it memorable. All everyone wants is the picture for their multitude of social media bragging.

Might be true for some people but certainly not for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Romania, beautiful country and incredibly friendly people. Stayed in a village called Bran a few years back. The regional city was Brasov beautiful and unspoilt. Also incredible value once you get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Birneybau wrote: »
    Can highly recommend Albania. Did the below tour a few months ago, bit of a lungbuster, but spectacular. Also, spent a day/night in Pogorica in Montenegro, flew home from there, and would have like to have spent more time there.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/albania/travel-tips-and-articles/hiking-in-albanias-accursed-mountains/40625c8c-8a11-5710-a052-1479d27619f0

Looks amazing. What was the hike like, pretty tough? Also what airline flys to Pogorica?

Flew into Tirana via Athens, spent a few days in Tirana, nice enough place. Had a hiking tour with my mate booked up, transfers etc. I'll post up the link when I get a chance.

First day hiking hard enough, 2nd day was actually to next hotel/hostel. Bags brought ahead by old man and donkey. 13km up and down. Bit of scrabbling involved at the very end, which was...not great. 9 hours-ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So about 26km over the two days?

Sounds good I must research it a bit more. Have been meaning to do a jaunt to Albania for a while now

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So about 26km over the two days?

Sounds good I must research it a bit more. Have been meaning to do a jaunt to Albania for a while now

Sorry for late reply. 1st day is up to yourself, various hikes, but yeah, reckon we did at least 13km each day.

Here's the actual site:

https://www.thenaturaladventure.com/activities/accursed-mountains-short-break/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Valencia is a lovely city, definitely not as touristy as other places in Spain.

The downtown is very fancy, there’s some lovely churches, and the City of Arts and Sciences is very futuristic and well worth a visit (although getting into the building itself is a bit of a ripoff). They diverted the river that used to flow through the city and it’s now been turned into a giant park. It’s also the home of paella and horchata (a sort of milky drink that is very refreshing in the middle of summer).

Definitely worth a visit. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,021 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Derry city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    All everyone wants is the picture for their multitude of social media bragging.

Whenever I go anywhere interesting, I put an unreasonable amount of time and effort into taking the absolute worst pictures possible, just to annoy anyone who wants to see pictures of my trip. Lots of tedious pictures of the airport or the hotel room fixtures and fittings; a picture of Big Ben taken too closely, with the clock cropped out; Buckingham Palace, with my thumb 'accidentally' covering half the picture; Tower Bridge, but taken from underneath; lots of pictures of Asda, Morrisons, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Valencia is a lovely city, definitely not as touristy as other places in Spain.

The downtown is very fancy, there’s some lovely churches, and the City of Arts and Sciences is very futuristic and well worth a visit (although getting into the building itself is a bit of a ripoff). They diverted the river that used to flow through the city and it’s now been turned into a giant park. It’s also the home of paella and horchata (a sort of milky drink that is very refreshing in the middle of summer).

Definitely worth a visit. :)
    I really liked valencia too! I didnt think it was that interesting to visit as a tourist but I really kept thinking how nice a place it would be to live while I was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

One of my favourite places in the world is the Eastern Dolomite mountains in Italy, absolutely stunning, especially the Grupo Sella area. I first visited 10 years ago, and returned recently and it is still top of the list for me. Lot more tourists now than 10 years ago though, but still relatively unknown. You might have to like cycling/hiking to really appreciate, but also fantastic drives. And also the region is bi-lingual with German still very often the first language. Trentino/Alto Adige or Sud Tirol only became part of Italy after the War.

Staying on Italy, Siena is my favourite Italian city with the Piazza my favourtie "square" in the World. I would much rather have Siena over its near neighbour, Florence. Again though, it is starting to get the throngs of tourists. Italy in general is amazing, but most people know that already,

Someone mentioned Romania, definitely Transylvania. I actually prefer Sibiu over Brasov. Eastern Romania is pretty boring though as it is one huge plain, apart from maybe the city of Timisoara.

Also agree about parts of the Balkans, Montenegro in particular. In France, the Drome region with all the spectacular gorges is grossly under-rated.

Further afield, Namibia in Southern Africa, the Namib desert is spectacular, especially a spot called Soussvlei and a huge National Park called Otago NP.
    Quebec City in Canada, probably the most beautiful city in North America , especially in "Fall season".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I’d say Malaga, which is usually seen as an airport through which to access the mostly-dreadful Costa del Sol, but has fantastic outdoors life, food, museums, history and architecture.

I agree too, was in Malaga for a few nights in Christmas 2015, also I recommend going to see Seville and the Granada area which is absolutely gorgeous, Cordoba is worth a visit too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Boston is really beautiful and has such a well preserved old town/historic core , better than a lot of the famous european old towns even but doesnt get much credit

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

St. Michan's Mummies here in Dublin. Check it out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Tipperary Town

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Has anyone being to Andorra? It's located between France and Spain, apparently it's beautiful, yet referred to as the ugliest country in Europe by many, It’s known for its ski resorts and duty-free shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rtgdfd

County Clare is under rated.

Lovely towns in Ennis Milltown Malbay and amazing coast with nice beaches in Lahinch etc.

Nicest county in Ireland IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

The cliffs at Dun Aengus on Inismore. Absoloutley breath taking and a better experiance than Moher imo. How the lads who built the massive fort did it and lived on that cliff is hard to belive .

When it comes to cities then Odessa on the Ukrainian Black Sea coast is a pretty cool place, even in winter. Also Gdansk on the Baltic.

For something a bit more green then Mount Floyen overlooking Bergen in Norway is breathtaking. Cable car goes from the city centre but some really great hikes up there taking you away from the city. The hills and woods around Sundsvall in Sweden was good too, as was climbing Arthur's Point and the Ben Lomond reserve in New Zealand. Schluchsee in the Black Forest for something a bit more affordable/closer to home, but no less amazing.

Advertisement