Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Customs and an post rip off

Options
  • 13-07-2015 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone has had problems with customs lately.
    i bought a couple of items in the last few months.
    they were of low value some were under 30 euro.
    they were taken into customs were they added 8 euro on.
    but then they charged me another 7 euro for an post to deliver the items.
    this is a rip off i no longer use an post and get my online purchase's from the uk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

xrob wrote: »
    Hi
    this is a rip off i no longer use an post and get my online purchase's from the uk.

It clearly didn't come from the UK if you were charged tax as everything regardless of cost is tax exempt if bought within the EU. The seller may be based in the UK but the product came from elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thai Bride?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I had to pay customs and an post charges on an item before but it was from the US or China. Customs are only doing there job to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hi

They must've come from outside the EU so rightly charged VAT/customs. The post charge is the cost of customs sending it onto you after applying the fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Customs charges are a rip off alright. You should import your goods to another country, fly to that country and smuggle them back in yourself.

Easy.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yep, paid $25 USD for postage and packing on some items for craft work, then got stung for over €15 in Cash on Delivery by the post office - €7.25 for the customs charge and €8 service charge for An Post to collect the €7.25 Euro. Oh and they don't take debit or credit card payment for the €15. Cash only.

And that's if you are lucky enough that they'll actually deliver and not watch them shove an illegible we called but you were out leaflet through your letterbox thus meaning you've to trek out to the sticks to get your package from a depot. Usually on a route with no bus service and too far to walk from town.

You Surf, We Deliver, my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Outside the EU you have to pay if value is in excess of €22 .

Vat is 23% and Duty is paid if item is value in excess of €150 .

Then of course the shipper will charge a handling fee normally €6

Some sellers outside EU mark item as a gift and value maybe $10 but this is sometimes ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

Recently got something delivered from the US via DHL, which was stopped by for customs costs. In addition to the VAT, which I expected, DHL charged an administration fee of €10. Again, I expected that, but it is still dearer than An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Customs? Rip off? NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 xrob

if you read the post i said i now get my stuff through the uk.
    it is sent from china via the uk.

• Advertisement

Still sounds like you should be paying customs charges to be honest.

freshpopcorn i bet you paid your household charge water rates and all the rest.
    bet you can't wait for whatever they bring in next.
    how is life working in customs? because if you don't work in customs you are a member of fg.
    don't come on here telling me what i should pay bet you are a bottom feeder (public sector)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Never understood why we have to pay customs on the purchase price PLUS the shipping charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

UPS used to charge €16 to collect your customs money. Can you pay it yourself to avoid this charge?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

how is life working in customs? because if you don't work in customs you are a member of fg.
    don't come on here telling me what i should pay bet you are a bottom feeder (public sector)

Mod: Easy now. No need for that kind of post.

I'm from a farm and we always paid the county council for our water.
    I ordered a tablet from the US last year and I had to pay the customs and an post charges when it arrived which I was expecting but I accepted it.
    If you want to order stuff online from countries outside the EU you've got to pay the custom charges and if you don't like it then I suppose you shouldn't order stuff online.
    I'm not a member of FG or customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Outside the EU you have to pay if value is in excess of €22 .
    thats the official limit, however they officially do not collect less than about €6, so at the current vat rate of 23% they do not bother with stuff less than ~€26, and in practice I see a lot more stuff over that value getting through. If its a genuine gift the limit is 45

If you are buying from well know places like play.com etc expect to get hit more, I imagine they have teams of people rooting through post from certain companies and can process them far more efficiently.
    lizzyman wrote: »
    Never understood why we have to pay customs on the purchase price PLUS the shipping charges.
    If not they would simply charge huge postage on items and low item cost, so it would not qualify. Same goes for people wondering why second hand goods are not exempt, if they were everybody would simply say its exempt, and companies importing goods would just declare them worthless and pay huge postage.

i think you are right an post already got paid it is a scam.

What difference does that make? It came into the EU from a non EU state so the purchaser paycheck import duties. Whether you sent it via every EU state or direct to Ireland it doesn't matter as long as it originated outside the EU.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What difference does that make? It came into the EU from a non EU state so the purchaser paycheck import duties.
    A trick would be to get it sent to an EU country with low VAT, they pay the VAT and then forward it onto Ireland and there is no vat liable here as its now come from within the EU.

I have no idea what the OP did though as what he said was very vague.

The likes of dealextreme now do (or did) post from China via the EU and you were still liable, they had stickers on the packets
    The sticker means that, despite the parcel looking like it originates from the EU (as is mandated by european postal operators “peering” deals, I suppose), it does, in fact, not. As a consequence, the goods shall not be treated as “import tariffs free” (like intra european exchange, as explained by articles 9 and 10), and the receiving country shall apply any import duty just like it would have done if it was a direct import.
    http://www.evilnickname.org/weblog/2011/04/26/appropriate-warning/

• Advertisement

Courier companies, in my experience, like UPS Fedex DHL etc will always declare the item at customs when collecting it when it has arrived here. They then charge you for them declaring and paying the taxes.

From my experience using the regular post service has more of a chance of slipping through.

I normally contact the seller and ask them to declare a low value on the item. Works most of the time. If not Ill buy it elsewhere. Although the US is getting stricter on false customs declarations.

TheTorment wrote: »
    Courier companies, in my experience, like UPS Fedex DHL etc will always declare the item at customs when collecting it when it has arrived here. They then charge you for them declaring and paying the taxes.

From my experience using the regular post service has more of a chance of slipping through.

I normally contact the seller and ask them to declare a low value on the item. Works most of the time. If not Ill buy it elsewhere. Although the US is getting stricter on false customs declarations.

Yeah my experience too. Bought a few things from Alibaba in China recently sent by China Post and they got through customs no problem. Stuff sent by DHL and the likes almost always gets caught as they declare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i think you are right an post already got paid it is a scam.

the 8 euro charge is not for postage,its for organizing an
    d collecting the money for the customs,of which the postie receives zero.

and then storing it with its other payments,and lodging it,and returning it to customs.

again,its not xtra postage.

so an post do all this work for nothing?
    come on the whole thing is a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i said the postie receives nothing, an post charge 8 euro handling fee,its not rocket science lads

so an post do all this work for nothing?
    come on the whole thing is a scam.
    Well you would be probably be disgusted to see all the scamming going on if retailers openly disclosed all sorts of overheads and VAT they are charging you.

If you bought an imported item from the place I work in you would also pay VAT and the accountants and stores people also do not work for nothing, so the price you pay will of course not simply include VAT, that would be stupid on our part, it will have costs associated with all the paperwork, handling etc built into the price.

Be thankful it didn't come through couriers who will typically charge a lot more than €7.

I still am in the dark about what you mean about getting you online purchases "from the uk"

i get it delivered to the uk and i have never had to pay customs.
    then it is sent to me from the uk which i pay for.
    i am not going to give details here but it does work

• Registered Users Posts: 32 happym

Fair enough to pay VAT and or duty, but the postage is already paid for.
    It is wrong to have to pay extra for a delayed item.
    Every shopkeeper in the country collects vat fro nothing, so
    why should An Post get paid

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Thread Closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement