Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus - Prepare to be Triggered!

Options
  • 26-03-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭

What is Walrus?

Walrus is a game where you select music and other people judge your choices. Walrus has a host who selects all the categories and then people submit songs and the host judges all the songs in each category. This Walrus will be judged by Trigger

Why are I doing this?
    I was pressured into it. Ah no, I've enjoyed the previous Walrus's and thought I would have a go, I went deaf in both ears at 16 so had not listened to music until 19 years later at the age of 35 when I received a cochlear implant. I've had to train my brain to hear again and training it to hear music and songs has been the most enlightening part of it apart from hearing my childs first words.

What sort of music am I into?
    Training your brain to hear sounds again has to start at the very beginning with soft sounds so I started with acoustic and worked my way up to faster and more musical choices, that means I'm a fan of most genres apart from Metal, I just cant hear it. At the moment it's the likes of The kings of Leon and that type of music that would make up the majority of my playlists. I am also a big fan of hip/hop and Rap, which is amazing in itself as I never thought I'd be able to hear that sort again.

So the Categories:

Until I went deaf I was a big music fan as a young teenager, for 20 years though I didnt even try to listen to music, it was just noise through hearing aids, when I got the cochlear implant it was learning to hear all over again. I began listening to music and songs I used to listen to back in the days, with new appreciation, that's why for the first Category I want a:

1.Song you would like to hear again for the very first time

2.The lyrical beast
    I'm a big fan of Lyrics that have meanings in songs, so I want you to give me a song that has given you an emotion through the words. This could be anger, joy, sadness or dispair, anything really.

3.Classic Rock Anthem/Ballad
    I have progressed steadily through different genre's when rehabilitating starting with Acoustic songs. Rock and Indie Rock being my two favourite with my new Ear :D give me a Classic that will make me smile.

4. 00's club hits
    This was the only form of music I could hear, albeit in nightclubs, I was big into the club scene from my late teens until my late twenties. Basically the whole of the Naughies. Give me your favourite club track during that time
    Edit: Understandably plenty of people would not have experienced this scene, and while I would prefer the above, you can give me a your favourite song from the Naughties that you would dance to in an event/pub/gig something that gets you up from the table to the dancefloor. None of this dancing in front of the mirror stuff

5. Wildcard
    Give me anything.. One piece of advice, Metal is a no-no and will instantly be marked down as I havent got the ability to listen to it at the moment

PM your choices, I’ll be listening on Spotify so just name of how it is on there will do, I can listen to anything on other methods if needs be but Spotify is my go to

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Wow inspiring story Trigs! I might enter but I'm stuck on No. 4 already.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'll definitely be entering after I've had a little think, but just wanted to say Wow, what a story!

I do recall you mentioning at some point during a comp that you had only started listening to music recently, but I had no idea of the backstory behind that. Amazing. Whenever the next Forum Games Beers happens, I'd love to hear more of your story!

Reberetta wrote: »

Yes No. 4 is the trickiest one for me too, but I'm sure I'll find something after a bit of research.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Reberetta wrote: »

Same here. Despise clubs and pretty much all dance music, so unfortunately I'd have nothing to offer on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Zaph wrote: »
    Same here. Despise clubs and pretty much all dance music, so unfortunately I'd have noing to offer on this one.

I wouldnt want anyone to feel left out so you can give me any track that you have a bop to.. triggers walrus is like Sheep, there are no wrong answers,

Well except for Metal, did I tell you, I don't like Metal :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Trigger wrote: »
    I wouldnt want anyone to feel left out so you can give me any track that you have a bop to.. triggers walrus is like Sheep, there are no wrong answers,

Well except for Metal, did I tell you, I don't like Metal :D

Thanks for the offer Trigger, but Zaph don't dance. At all. :D

Zaph wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer Trigger, but Zaph don't dance. At all. :D

Zapt does............................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Hi OP, can people enter on the provision they can pick good music instead of your option for number 4? Asking for a friend.

Hi OP, can people enter on the provision they can pick good music instead of your option for number 4? Asking for a friend.

I've edited the OP there. I'd still prefer a dance track though and that will be in my head when marking so choose wisely

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'll get an entry in today sometime :D

• Advertisement

I've edited the OP there. I'd still prefer a dance track though and that will be in my head when marking so choose wisely

Good man.

In relation to your segregation of metal. What are we talking here? Theres metal eg Metallica, theres metal eg Machine Head then theres metal eg Meshuggah. Asking for a friend.

Good man.

In relation to your segregation of metal. What are we talking here? Theres metal eg Metallica, theres metal eg Machine Head then theres metal eg Meshuggah. Asking for a friend.

I suppose that's for you to figure out :D try to think what would be too overwhelming for someone new to sounds.

There are SOME Metallica songs that I would be able to hear.

I suppose that's for you to figure out :D try to think what would be too overwhelming for someone new to sounds.

There are SOME Metallica songs that I would be able to hear.

Metallica have been a bit shyt for years so I wont be picking them anyway.

Sure sign me up anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Submitted there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Good man Trig, I will try have one in to you in the next day or two.

Sometimes you see a category and instantly you're like "oh yeah, I know for sure the song I'm picking for that".
    That's not the case for any of these; they all require some serious thinking.

Will try get an entry in to you soon but it might take a while!

Entries Submitted!

I've never partaken in a Walrus so I think I'll give this a bash.

I've never partaken in a Walrus so I think I'll give this a bash.

I imagine you'll definitely like it, based on how involved you've been and seemed to enjoy SHEEP/PEEHS and the Decades Music Tournaments anyway.

Walrus is probably my favourite game of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

2.The lyrical beast
    I'm a big fan of Lyrics that have meanings in songs, so I want you to give me a song that has given you an emotion through the words. This could be anger, joy, sadness or dispair, anything really

So tempting to resubmit the song I entered into Tusk's, where my summary of the lyrics made him cry :p

• Advertisement

So tempting to resubmit the song I entered into Tusk's, where my summary of the lyrics made him cry :p

Yeah but Tusk cries at everything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I still haven't read them...

6 entries already.. good stuff, keep em coming!

Just sent my entry there. :)

Up to 8 entries now, don't want to put any limit on numbers, happy to continue taking entries as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I'll get an entry in, it may be tomorrow before I have a chance though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Hello everyone, just back at boards after a long absence due to work commitments.
    Hope everyone's keeping well at this difficult time.

Trigger, thank you very much for organising this, same very interesting categories!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Great idea trigger, can't wait to see what songs everyone picked

Up to 12 entries now, thanks all for the submissions so far..

Moar Songs!

• Advertisement

Bonus point challenge:

Name the song on my spotify playlist that is actually about someone getting a cochlear Implant.

First one to post the YouTube clip of the song gets an extra point. this means you will start off as +1

Go.

Advertisement