Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maplin

Options
  • 31-05-2018 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

A bit too late at this stage, but Maplin are closing down their store in parnell street. I wasn't aware of it and, as an avid bargain hunter, I was surprised that this was not mentioned on here, but anyway...

I've popped in today and they slashed their prices on several items, spotted some water cooling equipment,coax/satellite/electrical/audio cables and some more stuff that could be of use for somebody in here

P.S. don't mind what it says in the price tag, I've purchased a couple of items and they were actually sold at 50% less than the display price, worth to ask at the till if in doubt
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,305 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

fritzelly wrote: »

Not in BA anyway! :)

Depends if 50% off is still considered a bargain in Maplins...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

they had a fan on sale there; 54 euro, marked down from 100 or 120 or something. Same one online is 50 euro...

Still not necessary a bargain!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

darconio wrote:
    Not in BA anyway!

There's been a few discussions within electronics threads in BA. They've been closing for months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was in the one in Galway today and pretty much as above. Even with 50-80% off they're pretty much the same as normal online prices and nothing worth picking up unless you needed something fairly niche last minute or just a spur of the moment purchase.

I was looking at what's left of PC stuff and there was stuff marked as "Was 120, now 50". Quick check online it can be had for the same price with full proper warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Lots of bargains for a brick and mortar store ... 20m flat cat6 cables for €5

10m dual dvi leads for €5

Usb to hdmi display adapters €10

Universal laptop chargers €16

Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

lordlame wrote: »
    Lots of bargains for a brick and mortar store ... 20m flat cat6 cables for €5

10m dual dvi leads for €5

Usb to hdmi display adapters €10

Universal laptop chargers €16

Etc

Usb to hdmi adapter €1.50 in dealz.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Very little left in either the Dublin or Cork stores. Also even with the reductions, not much better then online.

One thing to keep in mind, they are going out of business, so no returns if you change your mind and if broke, etc. you need to deal with the manufacturer rather then the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Here what I got today:

2.50€ for this http://amzn.eu/fb6jhcY
    5€ for this http://amzn.eu/gPeIZSB

I consider it a bargain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

degsie wrote: »
    Usb to hdmi adapter €1.50 in dealz.

Display adapters? Can you post a pic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

In the Galway one and no bargins to be had bar some bins up near the front with various cables for 10 cent and such.

Very toxic atmosphere too. Staff very narky with customers asking any questions.

You might be out of a job in a few weeks but show a bit of decorum.

doylefe wrote: »
    You might be out of a job in a few weeks but show a bit of decorum.

Always found the staff in Maplins a bit high and mighty, don't think it's anything to do with losing their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I got this in Maplin 2weeks ago for EUR25:
    https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-battery-charging-hub

RRP is EUR50 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

They had Prosound 20m 6.35mm jack cables there last week for a fiver. Thought that was a bit of a bargain...

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

I went into Maplin in Liverpool One a few weeks ago. Couldn't believe the difference between UK & ROI. Boxes and boxes of Chromecast's for £18. I was on the lookout for a few Amazon Firesticks but they had sold out. Much better compared to Maplin in Cork.

nobody will miss this place really. bad prices, bad service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

glasso wrote: »
    nobody will miss this place really. bad prices, bad service.

I will miss the Galway branch slightly.

It used to pass half an hour, walking around, buying nothing, while the wife was buying shtuff in Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Maplin is a rip off IMO
    Even with their so called sales

Always cheaper elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

It used to pass half an hour, walking around, buying nothing, while the wife was buying shtuff in Woodies.

Best part about the Galway shop was one of the lads telling you to buy something online and showing you a cheaper site.
    Hope he finds a job soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

They were good for small electronic and computer components when you needed them. If I want solder or thermal paste on a Saturday now what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I've always found it funny people saying the staff in a place is quite specifically this or that, as if staff across multiple outlets are carbon copies of each other. The Maplin here in Cork was a bit expensive but the range of stuff was huge, never good to see an option for gettings things shut down, especially if needed quick.

Corholio wrote: »
    I've always found it funny people saying the staff in a place is quite specifically this or that, as if staff across multiple outlets are carbon copies of each other. The Maplin here in Cork was a bit expensive but the range of stuff was huge, never good to see an option for gettings things shut down, especially if needed quick.

Didn't move with the times - anything you can buy in Maplin you can get on Amazon delivered for the same price if not less
    Yeah there is always the "I need it now" aspect but if you really need it now then you shoulda planned for it a week ago.
    Maplin was inevitable after the other US chain (cant remember the name) went belly up especially with their inflated prices especially in the Irish market.
    Been to many a shop asking do you have this and that and the shop attendant saying try Maplins and I would just groan and say I can wait a week and order it online. Actually bought a Coolermaster from them a good few months ago - was desperate at the time but was on special (thank god). Coulda saved myself a good few euro online but needed it now but woulda waited if need be to save 50 euro

edit
    To add - anyone looking for computer bits and bobs there is (or was) a shop top of St Stephens Green shopping centre that is pretty reasonable for stuff (mainly laptopish but have a good range and can order in)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

I found the staff very pleasant and helpful to get you the bits you were looking for...

Prices were really bad though... But the deals magazine they had were sometimes ok...

some recent photos attached of the types of things in the sales... they show the high prices they looked for.

The case of components looked cool - but I wasnt interested in the contents and all were missing a drawer.

452285.JPG

Some others...
    IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1303b.JPG

IMG_1304b.JPG

IMG_1302b.JPG

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Yeah there is always the "I need it now" aspect but if you really need it now then you shoulda planned for it a week ago.

Actually bought a Coolermaster from them a good few months ago - was desperate at the time but was on special (thank god). Coulda saved myself a good few euro online but needed it now

Hmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Didn't move with the times - anything you can buy in Maplin you can get on Amazon delivered for the same price if not less

Same price or less?! They regularly had things that would be €200 on Amazon and €500 in Maplin.

No-one could ever expect retail to compete with online, it's not possible. There will always be a markup and that's fine.

But Currys/PC World were way better for, for example, PC parts. Be common for a graphics card to be €250 online, €350 in Currys, then something absurd like €5-600 in Maplin.

Not to mention their range of Chinese cables that cost about €10 online being sold for €100 in there.

Their business model seemed to be focused on ripping people off because they had no alternative in a pinch and thankfully it has failed.

There are people who bought 'PC Gaming Kits' from them at 50-70% off thinking they were getting an astounding bargain they could sell on for a profit....only to discover they had still paid the same as new online prices. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Some good deals to be had instore if my experience is anything to go by. I picked up an HDMI-VGA adaptor and brought it to the counter. Your man scanned it at €13-14, after the 50% discount. Then said "**** it", scanned a keyring instead and have me the adaptor for 99c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Some good deals to be had instore if my experience is anything to go by. I picked up an HDMI-VGA adaptor and brought it to the counter. Your man scanned it at €13-14, after the 50% discount. Then said "**** it", scanned a keyring instead and have me the adaptor for 99c.

You walked in for a bargain and said Maplins employee has as a swan song turned you into a criminal. You're now handling stolen goods and an accessory to a robbery, bargain. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

LOL, literally exactly the same as me and the missus but at the Cork store! :eek:

• Advertisement

Thats not Maplin giving you a bargain thats staff knowing they are gone from tomorrow not giving a sh1t anymore.

"Yer man scanned it at €13 euro after the 50% discount". So it would have been €26?!? I got one from Amazon recently for 6 quid delivered. Probably the same one.

Advertisement