Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Waynesireland

Seems like good deal! The same smokeless bag in South East is 22.50 at my local store anyway, thieving f ers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭mrtom

slave1 wrote: »
    Regarding the cinders, cheap sieve and less than a minute and all saved, bag them in whatever small bags are around be they nappy sacks or the packaging from a sliced pan and then peg them on the fire when it's in full glow, they burn away, less waste and more bang for your buck...
    Does this amount of cinders the next morning seem usual with the yellow bag Polish coal? Seems a lot to me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

mrtom wrote: »
    Does this amount of cinders the next morning seem usual with the yellow bag Polish coal? Seems a lot to me !

I've had more on some Expensive' coal. I just put them on the fire to reburn the following evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭mrtom

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I've had more on some Expensive' coal. I just put them on the fire to reburn the following evening

I do that as well, I hoped some bright spark on this thread would educate me on “optimum combustion” as we compare the various properties of coal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i never throw them out, free the ash and reburn the next fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

mrtom wrote: »
    I do that as well, I hoped some bright spark on this thread would educate me on “optimum combustion” as we compare the various properties of coal.

I'd have that amount or more. I asked earlier in thread about this as well and as has been said I just put them back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ya, i have that every morning too. What i do is, light 5 briquettes, surrounding them with the cinders from the coal. When they take off, add some wood or more coal - they'll be glowing in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys Im gonna pull the trigger on a pallet of coal... the savings are just to great to ignore

If anyone wants to go half post in this thread and let me know

If nobody is interested I will keep it for myself

If anyone wants to buy half of it you will need to collect it because I dont have a jeep or van

I am located in ballyfermot, dublin 10

I'll wait for a day or two to see if anyones interested and if not ill keep the full pallet for myself

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭chasm

Are the delivery prices for ace that are quoted on the coalwarehouse FB page correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

chasm wrote: »
    Are the delivery prices for ace that are quoted on the coalwarehouse FB page correct?

Copy and paste the prices and we'll tell you

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Copy and paste the prices and we'll tell you

These were the prices quoted in December.

"*** 1ton delivery pallet***

Donegal is €72.19

Dublin is €46.13

All of Northern Ireland is €58.43

Meath
    Kildare
    Wicklow
    Offal
    Kilkenny
    Monaghan
    Louth
    Carlow
    Wexford are €58.43

West Meath
    Langford
    Cavan
    Roscommon
    Limerick
    Sligo
    Leitrim are €60.89

Cork
    Kerry
    Galway
    Mayo
    Clare
    Carlow
    Tipperary are €64.89

This is for 1pallet/1ton or less, for delivery charges."

It was €46.13 for me in December to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gr227x

Hi Lads , Ordered on Tuesday morning got it in cork today great service and thanks for the bargain alert. Just one question reading the forum people are saying the champion coal is the best coal for the money at 8.80 a bag. Does anybody know the difference between the pink bags and yellow bags most people talk about yellow bags. I paid 8.80 a bag and got the pink bags of coal are they the same and if somebody got both can they let us know the difference.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

gr227x wrote: »
    Hi Lads , Ordered on Tuesday morning got it in cork today great service and thanks for the bargain alert. Just one question reading the forum people are saying the champion coal is the best coal for the money at 8.80 a bag. Does anybody know the difference between the pink bags and yellow bags most people talk about yellow bags. I paid 8.80 a bag and got the pink bags of coal are they the same and if somebody got both can they let us know the difference.

Thank you

I'm guessing the size of the pieces premium coal would be larger pieces the cheapers stuff would be doubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

For anyone near to Straffin/Maynooth who doesn't want to fork out for a full pallet, Monaghan Fuels are doing a deal - buy 5 bags get 1 free... Its only till the weekend (I only found out tonight)... they are 5 mins off the N4 (maynooth exit)... I got 6 bags of superflame smokeless usually 19.50 a bag, works out at 16.25 after discount.... as far as I know it's on all their coals, but please ring them to make sure before travelling on my say so !! .... they used to be liquidation fuels and that's the website to look up (sorry don't know how to post a link)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

I got a pallet of the premium coal at €8 a bag. The pallet was split between three of us. If I bought the bags down town I'd bring them back. All 25 bags were the same.The coal pieces are a mixture of massive but mainly large doubles and slack/pebble size. It burns great in my stove. For the money it's perfect but as I've said, of I'd paid €18 a bag I'd bring it back.

All that said I'll be ordering another pallet soon. Just don't think your getting bnm premium quality for €8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭KaaaaaaPOW

Wah?

€10 cheaper, burns great, buy again,
    but big big take it back...wah?

Was giving an honest opinion on the bags. When we emptied the bags into the bunkers our hearts sank when we seen the state of the coal. The amount of small crap in the bags is unreal. At the price you'd get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

tomslick wrote: »
    Was giving an honest opinion on the bags. When we emptied the bags into the bunkers our hearts sank when we seen the state of the coal. The amount of small crap in the bags is unreal. At the price you'd get over it.

Have to agree with above, I got some of the Black Diamond €10 bags as well and it's much better nice size pieces, worth the extra.

• Advertisement

meathman0 wrote: »
    Have to agree with above, I got some of the Black Diamond €10 bags as well and it's much better nice size pieces, worth the extra.
    Great to know. Will order these the next time. Thanks.

They describe it as a blended and smokeless coal, is there petcoke in it? It certainly doesn't look smokeless from the picture or the spec on the bag, looks like it just meets the 2011 sulphur reg for outside smoke ban areas.

moodrater wrote: »
    They describe it as a blended and smokeless coal, is there petcoke in it? It certainly doesn't look smokeless from the picture or the spec on the bag, looks like it just meets the 2011 sulphur reg for outside smoke ban areas.

when I ordered it it was described as semi smokeless, how you can have semi smokeless is beyond me , surely it has to be one or the other, looks like norman coal, not man made, burns well.

when I ordered it it was described as semi smokeless, how you can have semi smokeless is beyond me , surely it has to be one or the other, looks like norman coal, not man made, burns well.

What's the leftover cinders like? Is there a good amount like the premium polish coal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

RE: Leftover cinders?

Any chance the leftover cinders are due to burning overnight in a stove and closing it right down?

anyone else using a ecograte? what you burning if you are,want to know before i order ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

lads i got 2 bags of the " semi smokeless " smokeless my h0le there is as much smoke as the €8 bag and as much cinders as the €8 bag... there is the odd round type of coal in the s/smokeless but not much tbh, on this delivery i did find the coal to be a lot smaller on the €8 bag compared to the boulders i got before... save the €2 per bag and go for the cheaper option imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Lads im on the verge of ordering from up north, my usual coal is cosyglo gems smokeless for an inset boilet stove, esse 350gs keeps the glass clear all night, not bad heat out if it either.
    Going to order 20 bags smokeless ovoids, and 5 bags clearflame smokeless.
    do you guys think that is a good alternative to cosyglo gems.
    both types cost the same 12.80 euro 40kg bag am in cork so delivery would be around 64 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

cranefly wrote: »
    Lads im on the verge of ordering from up north, my usual coal is cosyglo gems smokeless for an inset boilet stove, esse 350gs keeps the glass clear all night, not bad heat out if it either.
    Going to order 20 bags smokeless ovoids, and 5 bags clearflame smokeless.
    do you guys think that is a good alternative to cosyglo gems.
    both types cost the same 12.80 euro 40kg bag am in cork so delivery would be around 64 euro.

I bought a pallet of about half standard premium coal and the other half split between ovoids and clear flame, mixing them gets great results, the clear flame is hot stuff so a shovel of that in with your oviods will have a right good fire.

sgarvan wrote: »
    What's the leftover cinders like? Is there a good amount like the premium polish coal?

I use a stove, don't have too many cinders left in the morning, I just leave them and relight my fire.

Guys does the clearflame give out more heat than the ovoids

How do these 2 compare?

• Advertisement

Guys does the clearflame give out more heat than the ovoids

How do these 2 compare?

Clear flame has petcoke if you give it too much air it will warp/melt/burn your grate or stove parts. Stove warranties will always exclude the burning of petcoke.

Clear flame has petcoke if you give it too much air it will warp/melt/burn your grate or stove parts. Stove warranties will always exclude the burning of petcoke.

So would you avoid the clearflame for a stove mate?

I would use it for sure but not 100% on its own, if you ask me it's great stuff but I mix it with other two, it helps fully burn out everything else and puts out great heat. Use it at 1/3 or 1/4 of whatever else you have in and it's a great addition.

Its not worth it imo. Pet coke is too easy to overfire in a stove. Even mixed with other fuels you can produce hot spots that can warp, crack, corrode your grate / fire bars etc.

How long after arranging the delivery side of the order was it before coal warehouse contacted you? I paid for delivery yesterday, but no call regarding the coal order yet

How long after arranging the delivery side of the order was it before coal warehouse contacted you? I paid for delivery yesterday, but no call regarding the coal order yet

For me it was at lunchtime the day after paying the courier. Was worried too cause they never answered any of the phone numbers listed.

tomslick wrote: »
    For me it was at lunchtime the day after paying the courier. Was worried too cause they never answered any of the phone numbers listed.

Thanks, still waiting for a call, If i don't get one by this evening i'll just have to cancel delivery and buy elsewhere as i'm very low on fuel.

Thanks, still waiting for a call, If i don't get one by this evening i'll just have to cancel delivery and buy elsewhere as i'm very low on fuel.

After you sort out delivery you call them, don't wait for them to call you?
    They will have collection/delivery payment confirm in 10min after you book it then will take your order...
    Other than that I suppose they will call you when they see they have collections booked but no order to match...

Its not worth it imo. Pet coke is too easy to overfire in a stove. Even mixed with other fuels you can produce hot spots that can warp, crack, corrode your grate / fire bars etc.

Buy a stove top thermometer, great Job and just 20 quid, takes some of the guess work out of firing the stove and easy for everyone to know when's too hot or cold...
    I'd say people not getting them hot enough is a bigger problem that too hot, if you left the door fully open and have a full bucket of any decent coal in it you could easily do damage
    iv always burned some type of clear flame in my mix and would really miss the extra heat if I didn't have it...but I do have a big brute of a stove...

When ordering a pallet of coal for first time you won't go wrong getting some bit of a mix, even if it's 1 bag of a few diff ones and 22 of one, atleast you know for sure what works before next pallet...

After you sort out delivery you call them, don't wait for them to call you?
    They will have collection/delivery payment confirm in 10min after you book it then will take your order...
    Other than that I suppose they will call you when they see they have collections booked but no order to match...

When i arranged the delivery i asked what the procedure was and was told i would receive a call from the coal warehouse to place my order.

• Advertisement

When i arranged the delivery i asked what the procedure was and was told i would receive a call from the coal warehouse to place my order.

Ok wait then if your happy too, but if you want to hurry it up call them, read earlier posts about process...

Ok wait then if your happy too, but if you want to hurry it up call them, read earlier posts about process...

They phoned me this morning :)

Guys I have a Stanley stove and have always used Ecobrite or cosy glow gems

I took delivery of a pallet of ovoids this morning from this crowd

I have the fire lighting since midday and they ovoids are top quality, they are equally as good as the other two

I will continue to buy from this crowd

Highly recommend

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've a Stanley Erin stove too and use about 70bags to heat the house over the Winter, I usually buy the bags in one swoop and get it over and down with.
    For the last year I've been gutting the house, new floors, new insulated slabs, new insulated ceilings and some new triple glazed windows.
    This Winter I've used just 16 bags as the house heat retention has dramatically improved.
    Now probably have enough coal to last three seasons so hopefully this crowd will still be around and I'll still remember!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Seems crazy but it still feels like winter !! Anyone know the updates on the coal from NI ? Prices etc.

I'm in the marketplace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Seems crazy but it still feels like winter !! Anyone know the updates on the coal from NI ? Prices etc.

I'm in the marketplace

Terrible weather alright. I ordered a pallet of singles this week worked out at 9.83 a bag delivered. I rang them about the prices and can confirm that they are the same as that advertised on their Facebook page under 2015 prices. Ace delivery prices haven't changed and as usual cannot fault their service. Crazy buying coal this time of year but it'll last into the winter, I hope. The bit of turf cut is ruined too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I'm in the marketplace

Weather App has 5/6 degrees over the next few nights. Will be some kinda record for Cold in June come the end of the month I'd say.

Took delivery off 4 pallets this week..100 bags..70 polish..30 slack.. Worked out at 10 .72 per bag including delivery...

Ace used a different company to deliver the coal. I rang ace to get a idea of where the order was to set my timeframe at home.. Told me they would ring me back in 5 mins... Never did.

Truck only had a pallet truck to unload the 1 ton pallets..no side forklift or crane..will not move on gravel..unless the lorry can reverse to where u need them dropped you will be bringing them in one by one like me. It took hours but its grand.

10.72 I'm very happy with. Ace not so much..won't use them again as the unload options for 1 ton pallets is ridiculous.

Also..the price in sterling on the invoice is enough to make you cry :(

Also..the price in sterling on the invoice is enough to make you cry :(

Do tell ..

• Advertisement

I ordered the Premium Polish Coal last year. Will be looking at another order in the winter.
    Does anyone know if they stock Premium Colombian Coal?

The Champion Coal here is one of the best I have burnt but there is a good bit of a difference in the price. http://www.coaldirect.net/#!bit-coal/c1jo3 or http://www.beattyfuels.com/product/champion-coal/

Advertisement