Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handicap Question

Options
  • 21-05-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I am new to competition golf. My handicap is 18.4. I played in a competition in my club last weekend and came second with 37 points. I am playing again tomorrow in a fourball. Should I use the same handicap and do I have to find out if my handicap has been adjusted? On the GUI handicap webpage the competition hasn't been reflected and my handicap has not been adjusted. Is the onus on me to find out if my handicap should be adjusted or should I just wait until I am advised of a change. Maybe there is no adjustment for the score that I submitted? Unsure???????

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

AFAIK you should use your corrected handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BizAngel

Thanks, but my question is how do I find out what my corrected handicap is? Do I have to track down the hanicap secretary before I play again?...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Check our what was standard scratch and deduct 0.3 for every shot that you were better.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

The score you are supposed to shoot, if you play to your handicap is the standard scratch score (SSS). On any given day the weather or ground conditions can make the course harder or easier and so the target may be adjusted, this is the competition standard scratch (CSS).

In all likelihood the CSS last weekend was probably 36pts, although it may have been 35 or 34 if the course was playing hard that day.
    As the weather was fine last weekend, I couldn't imagine it was lower than 34.

You cut yourself 0.3 for every point over the CSS, and round to the nearest whole number for you playing handicap.

If CSS was 36 you get cut for beating it by 1 (37-36) and are cut 1*0.3 = 0.3, your exact handicap is now 18.1 and your playing handicap is 18.

If CSS was 35 you get cut for beating it by 2 (37-35) and are cut 2*0.3 = 0.6, your exact handicap is now 17.8 and your playing handicap is 18.

If CSS was 34 you get cut for beating it by 3 (37-34) and are cut 3*0.3 = 0.9, your exact handicap is now 17.5 and your playing handicap is 18.

If CSS was 33 you get cut for beating it by 4 (37-33) and are cut 4*0.3 = 1.2, your exact handicap is now 17.2 and your playing handicap is 17.

If you can't find out the CSS, then you have to assume the SSS (36 pts) applied and you cut yourself to 18.1 until you hear differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Daithio9

Obni wrote: »
    The score you are supposed to shoot, if you play to your handicap is the standard scratch score (SSS). On any given day the weather or ground conditions can make the course harder or easier and so the target may be adjusted, this is the competition standard scratch (CSS).

In all likelihood the CSS last weekend was probably 36pts, although it may have been 35 or 34 if the course was playing hard that day.
    As the weather was fine last weekend, I couldn't imagine it was lower than 34.

You cut yourself 0.3 for every point over the CSS, and round to the nearest whole number for you playing handicap.

If CSS was 36 you get cut for beating it by 1 (37-36) and are cut 1*0.3 = 0.3, your exact handicap is now 18.1 and your playing handicap is 18.

If CSS was 35 you get cut for beating it by 2 (37-35) and are cut 2*0.3 = 0.6, your exact handicap is now 17.8 and your playing handicap is 18.

If CSS was 34 you get cut for beating it by 3 (37-34) and are cut 3*0.3 = 0.9, your exact handicap is now 17.5 and your playing handicap is 18.

If CSS was 33 you get cut for beating it by 4 (37-33) and are cut 4*0.3 = 1.2, your exact handicap is now 17.2 and your playing handicap is 17.

If you can't find out the CSS, then you have to assume the SSS (36 pts) applied and you cut yourself to 18.1 until you hear differently.
    Quality post with just one error afaics, i.e. the assumption that SSS is always 36pts is incorrect, e.g. my home course is par 71 with a SSS of 69 which equals 38pts.

@OP, phone your club and ask them what the CSS was for the competiton you played in, if they are unable to tell you then you take the SSS (which should be on the course card) and cut youself accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭GorHugh

Daithio9 wrote: »
    Quality post with just one error afaics, i.e. the assumption that SSS is always 36pts is incorrect, e.g. my home course is par 71 with a SSS of 69 which equals 38pts.

@OP, phone your club and ask them what the CSS was for the competiton you played in, if they are unable to tell you then you take the SSS (which should be on the course card) and cut youself accordingly.

Surely if the club hasn't cut him yet , It's not up to him cut Himself ?? Surely the onus is on the Club to sort this issue out in real time ..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭indabunka

See FAQ players responsibilities at www.congu.com

If you return a Qualifying Score(s) below your Playing Handicap at your Home Club or away and you are unable to
    - ascertain whether or not your Playing Handicap has been reduced as a result of the score(s) or
    -report an away score to your Home Club
    you must, before playing in another competition at your Home Club or away, for that competition make such reduction to your Playing Handicap as appropriate under the System by applying the Competition Scratch Score, if known, otherwise the Standard Scratch Score, to calculate your Nett Differential and handicap reduction.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭GorHugh

indabunka wrote: »
    See FAQ players responsibilities at www.congu.com

If you return a Qualifying Score(s) below your Playing Handicap at your Home Club or away and you are unable to
    - ascertain whether or not your Playing Handicap has been reduced as a result of the score(s) or
    -report an away score to your Home Club
    you must, before playing in another competition at your Home Club or away, for that competition make such reduction to your Playing Handicap as appropriate under the System by applying the Competition Scratch Score, if known, otherwise the Standard Scratch Score, to calculate your Nett Differential and handicap reduction.

Hope this helps!

Fair play ... Thats good to know .

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

Yeah standard scratch at our club moves frequently between 35 & 37 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Daithio9

Yeah standard scratch at our club moves frequently between 35 & 37 points.
    That's CSS not SSS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

You're extremely unlikely to be cut below 17.5 so you're still off 18 (probably 18.1).

Advertisement