Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ashes 2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

booth70 wrote: »
    Its been a timid , over-rated and over-hyped bore so far!.....Where's Harbhajan Singh and Andrew Symonds when you need them!!

It's not so bad. It has been nice having it on in the background at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 khn10ur3bogzpa

booth70 wrote: »
    Its been a timid , over-rated and over-hyped bore so far!.....Where's Harbhajan Singh and Andrew Symonds when you need them!!

What are you saying? I dont understand your post!! How can it be over rated if they are only half way through the first of a five match series?

Also Singh doesnt play for England or Australia so what does he have to do with this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭boccy23

Highlights are on Channel 5 at 7:15PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

looks like 2morrow will b a washout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

What are you saying? I dont understand your post!! How can it be over rated if they are only half way through the first of a five match series?

Also Singh doesnt play for England or Australia so what does he have to do with this thread?

I wish Singh did play for England and Symonds was in the Aussie side....atleast then we'll have more to talk about than this flat track bore this is turning out to be!!

• Advertisement

Washout wrote: »
    looks like 2morrow will b a washout

about the best thing that can happen to this game!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It's not so bad. It has been nice having it on in the background at work.

I love test cricket, but even I had to admit its not been a patch on the last two South Africa v Australia series. Still though some of the batting has been good.
    I won't damn a five match series jsut because day 2 of the 1st test was underwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Clarke is gone.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I think the groundsman in Cardiff was so worried about the pitch deteriorating into a farce, he has made it as dead as a doornail. All the talk has been about the pitch and outfield since the fixture was announced, I think they are onto their third groundsman since then.

I don't blame him for being cautious and the weather also hasn't helped him produce a wicket likely to create a positive result.

Save for a classic England collapse, and totally wrong weather forecast for day four, I would say we will be all square (with psychological advantage to the Aussies) going into the next Test.

I would not be so sure about the Aussies having the psychological advantage. There are (possibly) two days left and if England make a run of it tomorrow and pick up some good wickets they could just bat through the last day and a bit and not give Australia another chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I love test cricket, but even I had to admit its not been a patch on the last two South Africa v Australia series. Still though some of the batting has been good.

Yeah. Biased towards South Africa, but the two series were top quality, particularly the Australian series over Christmas...(I'd forego the Australian commentators horror :) ). The test at the SCG is the best I've watched in a long time including the 2005 Ashes...with the mountain of a crack down the middle of the pitch causing chaos :D

Let Botha, van der Merwe, Steyn, Parnell, Kallis or even Harris at the wicket and I'd bet there'd be wickets..

dfx- wrote: »
    Yeah. Biased towards South Africa, but the two series were top quality, particularly the Australian series over Christmas...(I'd forego the Australian commentators horror :) ). The test at the SCG is the best I've watched in a long time including the 2005 Ashes...with the mountain of a crack down the middle of the pitch causing chaos :D

Let Botha, van der Merwe, Steyn, Parnell, Kallis or even Harris at the wicket and I'd bet there'd be wickets..

agree that the two series between SA and Aus were good but the two best series in recent times has to be India v Australia 2001 and The Ashes 2005 purely because of all the drama and the close margin of most of the victories.
    All the victories in the SA v Aus series were convincing ones for the team that won it
    Lets hope we have a pitch in Lords that has something in it for the bowlers bcos I cant see both these bowling attacks taking 20 wickets otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

England are gonna lose this one.

England are gonna lose this one.

Doubt it....all they have to do is bat through tomorrow. They dont need a score just keep their wickets and there is batting the whole way down the order....

...well except for Panesar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

All depends on the weather tomorrow now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Pity about the loss of play today. Looks like England will just have to try and survive tomorrow now for the draw. Two wickets down already put a little bit of pressure on them but I think they'll be OK. David Lloyd doesn't though. He reckons they're screwed! Doesn't think they have it mentally.... lucky he's not the coach any more! I like him though. He seems a decent enough character. Entertaining he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

an innings of 675 should win a test game.

a draw here is a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Aus already scored more centuries than in the whole of the 05 series!
    I don't see England batting out a full days play. I agree they don't have it mentally The showers, if any may be key.
    Des, too simplistic to say that though there is only one result if test could run to completion. If couple England batters didn't throw wicket away then both teams would have 600+ runs in first innings and both teams cannot win. Test cricket is full of undeserved draws, though I feel less so in past decade than previous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Des wrote: »
    an innings of 675 should win a test game.

Not really Des.

For example if a side were to bat for 4 days and plug along to 675 it doesnt mean they should win the game imo

Pietersen out playing no stroke to straight ball...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Doubt it....all they have to do is bat through tomorrow. They dont need a score just keep their wickets and there is batting the whole way down the order....

...well except for Panesar

Yes, batting out the final day of a test match is notoriously easy. Especially when you're already 2 wickets down going into it...

Anyway Pietersen's gone now. England's hopes are fading fast.

46/4
    Will they even make it to tea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

KevIRL wrote: »
    Not really Des.

For example if a side were to bat for 4 days and plug along to 675 it doesnt mean they should win the game imo

But they didnt just plug along batting for 4 days. I agree with Des to an extent here. As the sport evolves its only natural that batters can stay in longer as fitness and sports science develop. For me the draw aspect of test cricket is a major downfall, there is no doubt Australia deserve the win here but its still feasible England could get the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is there anywhere that has the match online today? Stuck in work :(

Also, since this is my first post on the cricket forum I thought I'd say something profound. God bless cricket. As an Irishman who suffers the annual Summer tension of an Englishman possibly winning Wimbledon, or an English team being victorious in either the World Cup or European Championships, cricket will forever be the safety net of patriotic schadenfreude. What's more, it really hurts the patriotic core when they lose. An annual smack in the face to the bourgeois, would-be imperialists who can't stand the idea that their colonial underlings come back on an yearly basis and clip them around at their sport of preference. Beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I don't think its over just yet, although England's hopes rest simply with Flintoff and Collingwood.

Hauritz aside, the Aussie attack isn't very penetrative. With sensible batting, its possible they could get to Tea with maybe just 1 more wicket down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Hauritz has now taken as many wickets as the entire England bowling attack in this test.

Sad, considering Collingwood was Englands best spinner, what were Swann and Monty playing at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Siddle is really giving Swann a working over. England need him to get hit another 100 times and they might save this test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere that has the match online today? Stuck in work :(

Also, since this is my first post on the cricket forum I thought I'd say something profound. God bless cricket. As an Irishman who suffers the annual Summer tension of an Englishman possibly winning Wimbledon, or an English team being victorious in either the World Cup or European Championships, cricket will forever be the safety net of patriotic schadenfreude. What's more, it really hurts the patriotic core when they lose. An annual smack in the face to the bourgeois, would-be imperialists who can't stand the idea that their colonial underlings come back on an yearly basis and clip them around at their sport of preference. Beautiful.

http://atdhe.net/7391/watch-england-vs-australia

They made it to tea. Well done Collingwood

New ball taken.

24 overs to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Swann out lbw to a horrible slog across the line, 8 down now but only 15 overs left and England just 15 runs behind.

I still fancy they'll hang on here. Collingwood is still there by hook or by crook.

Advertisement