Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread XII (Please read OP before posting)

1185186187188189191»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Leo didn’t move.

Well he did - he went to Cheshire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

exactly. The Wirral if I recall. EU won't budge on LPF its all games and they know this. It boils down to how slim a deal they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

trellheim wrote: »
    exactly. The Wirral if I recall. EU won't budge on LPF its all games and they know this. It boils down to how slim a deal they want.
    What are you on about? You think the location of a meeting means anything? So every time a UK PM has to come to Brussels it means what? Does this sound like Boris out-maneuvered anyone?

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-and-irish-pm-meet-in-wedding-venue-for-last-ditch-brexit-talks-11832073

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49995133

I remember Twitter and r/ukpolitics at the time mostly reporting it as Varadkar spoon-feeding Boris on how things were anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Thargor wrote: »
    What are you on about? You think the location of a meeting means anything? So every time a UK PM has to come to Brussels it means what? Does this sound like Boris out-maneuvered anyone?

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-and-irish-pm-meet-in-wedding-venue-for-last-ditch-brexit-talks-11832073

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49995133

I remember Twitter and r/ukpolitics at the time mostly reporting it as Varadkar spoon-feeding Boris on how things were anyway.

OK there should have been a smiley face.

Boris agreed to 'what no British Prime Minister would agree to' - a border down the Irish sea. That was some movement. The EU moved from a back stop to a front stop - which is what they wanted in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Boris wanted Leo to come to London, but they ended up meeting in Cheshire, so both parties compromised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,178 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

OK there should have been a smiley face.

Boris agreed to 'what no British Prime Minister would agree to' - a border down the Irish sea. That was some movement. The EU moved from a back stop to a front stop - which is what they wanted in the first place.

Several political analysts have speculated that Johnson didn't actually realise what he had signed up to. The 'towering intellectual' of the right wing press is actually a bit dense in real life with poor attention to detail.

From memory, I think even Ken Clarke was one of those putting forward this theory.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Strazdas wrote: »
    Several political analysts have speculated that Johnson didn't actually realise what he had signed up to. The 'towering intellectual' of the right wing press is actually a bit dense in real life with poor attention to detail.

From memory, I think even Ken Clarke was one of those putting forward this theory.

Who actually considers him a "towering intellectual", can I ask? He's always been a buffoon.

As far as I know, he also conceded on the £7bn the UK was due from the European Investment Bank too. As in, it was clear that May was negotiating for this to go back to the UK, but Boris just gave it up without a fight:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-gives-up-7bn-windfall-from-european-investment-bank-tq0qskgfc

Then there is also the "oven ready" deal, which he later claimed was entirely unfair on the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Strazdas wrote: »

When you look past the classical education, the large words, the occasional Latin and the odd historical reference there is very little left. Sir Nicholas Soames once said that one should not conflate fluency and a moderately well cut suit with wisdom.

The thing with Johnson isn't that he's stupid. It's worse than that. He's vain, conceited, possibly narcissistic and monumentally lazy. Tim Shipman documents this well in his chronicle of the referendum All Out War. I often find myself wondering why he's Prime Minister. Surely he was better off trotting out hack pieces for the Telegraph about how the EU was going to ban wisdom teeth or something.

He has clearly outsourced himself to Cummings. This levelling up agenda is clearly a Cummings project and I don't see how it squares with leaving the EU without a deal in place by the end of the year. It's going to be a bad look when Britain goes for a second "lockdown" while the EU starts to return to normal.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

When you look past the classical education, the large words, the occasional Latin and the odd historical reference there is very little left. Sir Nicholas Soames once said that one should not conflate fluency and a moderately well cut suit with wisdom.

I do not think anyone can accuse Johnson of wearing a well cut suit. He hardly ever tucks his shirt into his trousers, and just ruffles his hair. Also, he is not very fluent - always bumbling and blustering. So zero points for feigning wisdom.

He is not good at detail - owing to his laziness. He does not get the big picture owing to his limited grasp of things outside Greco-Roman ancient history. So what is left? Not much, beyond bombast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

He is not good at detail - owing to his laziness. He does not get the big picture owing to his limited grasp of things outside Greco-Roman ancient history. So what is left? Not much, beyond bombast.

He managed to get to be PM, and Mayor of London - hardly jobs you fall into, Jim Hacker aside . A lot of it is an act , granted . However I do not know what he stands for - which is a very different position from other Tory PMs like Major and Thatcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

He managed to get to be PM, and Mayor of London - hardly jobs you fall into, Jim Hacker aside . A lot of it is an act , granted . However I do not know what he stands for - which is a very different position from other Tory PMs like Major and Thatcher

Politically, he was very much a One Nation Tory but he sold his soul for fame and power. His Ego got the better of him. He is now a pathetic glove puppet for Cummings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Jizique

He managed that largely due to his role on a tv comedy series which convinced large parts of the London electorate that he was a bit of fun, not a xenophobic nationalist which is what got him elected as leader of the party

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As we are reaching the 10000 post threshold, I’ve created a new thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058099620

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement