Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Management Companies

Options
  • 26-02-2015 6:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with any good ones lately. Trying to select a company to look after a rental property in Galway city.
    Would appreciate any reviews from both landlords and tenants.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I've dealt with five property management companies, all terrible EXCEPT FOR Gohery Properties, he's more active selling, I believe but he does also manage rentals. He's a top guy!

I rented an apartment he was renting out on behalf of somebody for one year back in 2010. He was a pleasure to deal with and a really sound guy!

I should also say, though I won't name them..there's a few companies with offices around town that I rented from that with-held deposits for no reason. One which demanded that I start paying my rent in cash, in person at their offices during business hours. Another one which did give me back my deposit but took a long time to do so. Also had one who showed a furnished apartment and then removed the furniture before the move in!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

All property management are awful unless proven otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Galway Property Management do our building, its cleaned one/twice a week, any issues with the apartment are dealt with pretty speedily and they also deal with issues with troublesome tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

I've recently had dealings with M&C property management and thought they were superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

For the love of god..... NOOOOO

Surely you know a local landlord who manages their own properties.... offer them the going rate to manage your place... at least that way there'll be a bit of heart in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

saraj14 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has dealt with any good ones lately. Trying to select a company to look after a rental property in Galway city.
    Would appreciate any reviews from both landlords and tenants.
    thanks

Did you try contacting letting agencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭saraj14

I have contacted quite a few.
    There is one that is more expensive than the others, but has a 24 hour emergency phone number. however they haven't emailed on any of the information they promised, after numerous emails and calls.
    Then the rest all cost the same.
    Was really just interested in getting tenants opinion on good companies to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JohnCleary wrote: »
    For the love of god..... NOOOOO

Surely you know a local landlord who manages their own properties.... offer them the going rate to manage your place... at least that way there'll be a bit of heart in it.

Heart? From an amateur landlord who probably has very little knowledge about tenancy law? Yeah, right, try reading a few threads over on Accommodation and Property and you'll get a sense of how well regarded this option is.

There's also the small matter that the local landlord would need to become a registered property agent if they were to take this on for someone else.

OP, the only fact I can offer is that years ago I was with City Property Services, and they would not accept rent payments by standing order: I had to go to their office with cash (their preference) or a cheque (because I wasn't carrying that much cash around!) Their policies may have changed since, so I would ask the rather than assume it's still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

saraj14 wrote: »
    I have contacted quite a few.
    There is one that is more expensive than the others, but has a 24 hour emergency phone number. however they haven't emailed on any of the information they promised, after numerous emails and calls.
    Then the rest all cost the same.
    Was really just interested in getting tenants opinion on good companies to deal with.

Good luck with your search, I can't offer any feedback as I've always dealt directly with landlords.

What I would advise you to do, regardless of whether you end up hiring a company or going alone is to talk to Threshold and the PTRB to ensure whatever you have to do is on the correct course and not likely to unintentionally lead to trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

<See forum rules about using recommendation threads to anti-recommend a particular company.
    Feel free to recommend companies you like instead>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Galway Property Management do our building, its cleaned one/twice a week, any issues with the apartment are dealt with pretty speedily and they also deal with issues with troublesome tenants.

+ 1 for these have owned a property in an estate that they have managed for over 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I have rented 5 different places in Galway in the last 10 years. 2 were through agencies the other 3 were directly from the landlord. Had problems with both agencies getting things fixed in a timely manner and with deposits and bills. Have never had a problem with any landlord rental and have always got a good reference from the landlord.
    A lot of my friends renting have had similar experience in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

OP, the only fact I can offer is that years ago I was with City Property Services, and they would not accept rent payments by standing order: I had to go to their office with cash (their preference) or a cheque (because I wasn't carrying that much cash around!) Their policies may have changed since, so I would ask the rather than assume it's still the same.

I use City Property Services and they accept standing orders (they started over 2 years ago).

Any issue I've had has been resolved very quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

City Property Services also get the nod from me.. Prompt repairs the one time it was needed, pleasant to deal with..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Heart? From an amateur landlord who probably has very little knowledge about tenancy law?

No need to generalise. I am confident to say that I am more knowledgeable in tenancy law than the majority of agency staff i've met over the years.

On the flip side, I shouldn't generalise that all landlords are up to scratch. When I made my statement, I meant it in the way "OP, do you know any landlords", not just go find some random one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I wasn't go to name names BUT since City Property Services are being mentioned. They would not accept Standing Orders when I rented through them back in 2009 (I think it was 2009!)

I also required repair work done. It took 5 days. I'm not sure if that's good or bad...I haven't required repairs any other time in my 10+ years of renting in Ireland.

In the US, it's usually same day or next day.

Advertisement