Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach/Pier fishing

Options
  • 07-12-2018 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone.

I'd like to take up fishing in the new year and I'd like some advice as I'm a relative novice (may as well be seen as a complete novice for the purposes of this thread).

After much consideration and conversations I've decided I'd start with beach and/or pier fishing. Its free. There seems to be nice fish to catch (mackerel, bass, codling).

I don't have any interest in catch and release fishing.

I would like to try out spin and fly fishing in freshwater too but later on in the year.

I must buy a rod. I brought the reel. I was looking at the penn rampage 2.

Has anyone any advice on where I should start. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Hello everyone.

I don't have any interest in catch and release fishing.

Has anyone any advice on where I should start. Thanks in advance.

You should prob start by reconsidering your stance on catch and release!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

You cannot keep bass currently. You must release any you catch.

Now, im all for someone catching their dinner and taking home an odd cod or pollock, but please look into whats happening in our waters and educate yourself on rules and regs.

That said, the best felling you will get after catching a good fish, is watching it swim away.

ardinn wrote: »
    You cannot keep bass currently. You must release any you catch.

That's incorrect. As of the 1st October a fisherman may keep 1 bass in any 24 hour period.

OP I'd take myself into a fishing tackle shop and have a look and a chat. Ardinn above runs one and I'm sure would be happy to advise on the gear needed for your fishing. He could also advise on techniques too I'm sure.
    Listen to any advice from experienced anglers regarding gear and don't buy cheap or you'll buy twice (especially if saltwater fishing).

TheTorment wrote: »
    That's incorrect. As of the 1st October a fisherman may keep 1 bass in any 24 hour period.

I was under the impression it was only until nov 31st but see now it's till dec 31st so I stand corrected.

I'd still recommend c&r anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I find it bizarre that as a beginner you can categorically say you have no interest in catch and release fishing. Any reason for such a stance this early in any learning journey regarding fishing?

• Advertisement

I was under the impression it was only until nov 31st but see now it's till dec 31st so I stand corrected.

I'd still recommend c&r anyway!

The legislation is unclear and difficult to find especially for a beginner or someone who fishes a few times each year. There's still some of the old signage around here for heaven's sake.

OP I too must question your attitude regarding C&R. Of course there is no problem keeping a fish for the table but you do have to factor in size and numbers of present fish stocks. As Ardinn says above educate yourself.

I get greater pleasure catching fish, playing them and watching them swim off. I had just over 150 bass this season (down from previous years) and each and every one went back. What sort of an impact would it have on the bass stocks if I kept all of those? Or if I'd been keeping all the bass I've gotten in the past 10 years?

I hope you educate yourself and reconsider your stance on C&R OP

TheTorment wrote: »

I get greater pleasure catching fish, playing them and watching them swim off. I had just over 150 bass this season

I need to go fishing with you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

SeaFields wrote: »
    I find it bizarre that as a beginner you can categorically say you have no interest in catch and release fishing. Any reason for such a stance this early in any learning journey regarding fishing?

I'm only looking to go catching my dinner. Of course I'll put anything not edible back. Or endangered, protected etc. If I'm catching something, the idea is that I'm going to be eating it.

It's this whole thing where you see a guy wrastling with a pike or a small shark I don't get.

I'm only looking to go catching my dinner. Of course I'll put anything not edible back. Or endangered, protected etc. If I'm catching something, the idea is that I'm going to be eating it.

It's this whole thing where you see a guy wrastling with a pike or a small shark I don't get.

It's a hunt, it's not an easy thing to catch a good fish, and learning where they are, where you need to be, knowing why they are in a particular area at a certain time etc is a skill in itself, improving this skill is a draw in itself.

I have gone out with deer hunters for hrs, staring at prime animals for hours without the gun ever being fired. It's the stalk, learning the terrain, and watching the habbits that was more interesting than dropping the deer.

We all start out looking for the prize i suppose, but it doesnt last imo.

It's a hunt, it's not an easy thing to catch a good fish, and learning where they are, where you need to be, knowing why they are in a particular area at a certain time etc is a skill in itself, improving this skill is a draw in itself.

I have gone out with deer hunters for hrs, staring at prime animals for hours without the gun ever being fired. It's the stalk, learning the terrain, and watching the habbits that was more interesting than dropping the deer.

We all start out looking for the prize i suppose, but it doesnt last imo.

Well I guess I'm going to have to start brushing up fast

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say I'm going out looking for a prize either. Just a few mackerels will do me. Or a ling. I think I'd like to catch a ling. There quite popular where I'm from.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Need to go fishing also with you. Blanking for bass for years!

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Need to go fishing also with you. Blanking for bass for years!

Where do you fish?

I need to go fishing with you!!

I only lure fish and Im very fortunate in that I can and do fish everyday, weather permitting. So while the fish caught may seem like a good quantity to you, in reality when compared to the time Ive spent on the water it is relatively poor.

This has been the trend in recent years where Ive had to work hard for my fish.
    For contrast, 2010-2012 the figures would have been twice that amount.

Advertisement