Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is taken in tax

Options
  • 02-12-2018 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

If someone wanted to rent out their house how much would they lose on tax

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

letsgo2018 wrote: »

Depends on so many variables. General tax band, cost of interest on you mortgage, allowable deductions... Can't give a general answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

Between 20% and 40% depending on your tax band.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is the same as you pay in income tax less expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,498 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    By and large, you will pay tax on your profits only, just like any other business.

Don't mix up profits with cash flow. You might have low or negative cash flow if you are repaying principal on a mortgage, but you will still be taxed on your profits.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Potentially up to 54% (if you had no allowable expenses, no mortgage and no debt associated with the property- including property that may have been inherited). In general- its somewhere in the 30-40% range- lower for some people depending again on allowable expenses. For non-resident owners of property who let property out- there is a flatrate 20% deducted from the gross rent by renters and forwarded to Revenue by the tenant- the landlord then submits a tax return at the end of the year, and a balancing statement issues, and the landlord pays any additional owed (or gets a refund, as appropriate).

So- there isn't a straight forward answer- it depends- but it could potentially be up to 54% (but doesn't tend to be this high).

Revenue target any landlords who pay less than 30% on their rental income- for assessment purposes (its random though- you won't automatically be chosen for an assessment- and even if you pay more- you could still be chosen, the probability changes though.........)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

By and large, you will pay tax on your profits only, just like any other business.

Don't mix up profits with cash flow. You might have low or negative cash flow if you are repaying principal on a mortgage, but you will still be taxed on your profits.

Well in fact you will pay tax on the income not on the profit. You will be allowed to deduct certain expenses, such as the interest portion of the mortgage, and will be allowed capital allowances but will not for example be able to just deduct the cost of replacing a fridge/cooker/boiler if the existing one breaks. So it is the income that is taxed not teh profit.

and it is taxed at your marginal rate - so 53% for most landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

You will just have to be a bit more imaginative in your appraoch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Fian wrote: »
    Well in fact you will pay tax on the income not on the profit. You will be allowed to deduct certain expenses, such as the interest portion of the mortgage, and will be allowed capital allowances but will not for example be able to just deduct the cost of replacing a fridge/cooker/boiler if the existing one breaks. So it is the income that is taxed not teh profit.

Replacing a fridge is a deductible capital allowance.
    You pay prsi and income tax after capital and current expenses. You pay usb before capital allowances

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm sorry but that's nonsense.

The income is the rent. You do NOT pay tax on this. You deduct expenses as you say but once you deduct these what you have left is called profit.

You will only ever pay tax on the income if you have no expenses & if this were the case the income would be the profit. This is very basic profit & loss not rocket science. This has been covered on several rental threads already.

The Conductor is correct. 30 to 40 percent is the norm & almost no one pays 54 percent as you usually have some expenses

letsgo2018 wrote:

The best solution is to avail of the rent a room scheme rather than renting out the entire house. You can earn up to 14k tax free with the rent a room scheme. You'd need to pull in 20 to 25k a year renting the whole house to end up with 14k after tax. In Dublin you'll easily get 14k for two rooms in your home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

If someone is non resident for tax working abroad and rent out a house is it at lower tax band of 20% as your not paying rent in Ireland?

Also can it mentions above about mortgage interest being used as a deduction is that correct?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

An Cigire wrote: »
    If someone is non resident for tax working abroad and rent out a house is it at lower tax band of 20% as your not paying rent in Ireland?

Also can it mentions above about mortgage interest being used as a deduction is that correct?

Cheers

It could be 20%, it could be less, it could be more. The 20% refers to tax tennants are supposed to deduct from the rental agreement payments and remit to Revenue if they are paying direct to a non resident landlord not an agent acting on behalf of the landlord. Mortgage interest is an allowable expense. If TRS is claimed, it needs to be ceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You haven't a clue have ya!

[/quote]

It could be 20%, it could be less, it could be more. The 20% refers to tax tennants are supposed to deduct from the rental agreement payments and remit to Revenue if they are paying direct to a non resident landlord not an agent acting on behalf of the landlord. Mortgage interest is an allowable expense. If TRS is claimed, it needs to be ceased.[/quote]

TRS does not apply to me, so potentaillly I could claim this mortgage interest at end of year once I’m PTRB registered.

If your tenant is paying let’s say the 20% tax as your a non resident landlord and you have mortgage interest and other deductibles do you get this back from revenue at year end from the tax the tenant has paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

An Cigire wrote: »

It could be 20%, it could be less, it could be more. The 20% refers to tax tennants are supposed to deduct from the rental agreement payments and remit to Revenue if they are paying direct to a non resident landlord not an agent acting on behalf of the landlord. Mortgage interest is an allowable expense. If TRS is claimed, it needs to be ceased.[/quote]

TRS does not apply to me, so potentaillly I could claim this mortgage interest at end of year once I’m PTRB registered.

If your tenant is paying let’s say the 20% tax as your a non resident landlord and you have mortgage interest and other deductibles do you get this back from revenue at year end from the tax the tenant has paid?[/quote]

You file an income tax return with details of your tax residence and your rental accounts declared. The 20% tax which your tennants have hopefully remitted to Revenue will be allocated to your PPS and if your return indicates a refund is in order, then a refund issues.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/rental-income/irish-rental-income/how-do-you-declare-your-rental-income.aspx

Thanks for that. A lot I didn’t know cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sean8n

Regarding Rent a Room Scheme, from the CI website:

"Currently, the total (gross) rent that you get, which includes sums that the tenant pays for food, utilities, laundry or similar goods and services, cannot exceed €14,000"

So the landlord must provide accommodation, utilities, laundry and even food in return for rent? Surely I have that wrong.

That's pretty tight, two tenants paying 450-500 each + electric would easily bring that to 14k, never mind laundry and food.

Frankly, I can't understand where food and laundry come into this, full board?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

sean8n wrote: »

"Currently, the total (gross) rent that you get, which includes sums that the tenant pays for food, utilities, laundry or similar goods and services, cannot exceed €14,000"

So the landlord must provide accommodation, utilities, laundry and even food in return for rent? Surely I have that wrong.

That's pretty tight, two tenants paying 450-500 each + electric would easily bring that to 14k, never mind laundry and food.

You've misunderstood it. It's just allowing for situations where food, laundry and benefits like that are included in the rent, most likely students in digs.

For example, if the rent is E600/month including meals worth E100, the landlord can't deduct the worth of the meals. Otherwise, They might try stuff like that to keep themselves below the tax exempt figure of E14000.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It's also called rent a room scheme, not rent two rooms or four, for a reason ;)

It is generally designed for owners giving up a room for a student etc.

14k is a generous tax free incentive.

sean8n wrote:

Landlord does not have to provide laundry or food but if they do the total charges can't exceed 14k.

Don't forget 14k tax free is equivalent to renting out an entire house & paying tax on it. It really is a super deal and I'm supprised more struggling homeowners don't avail of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 sean8n

Thanks guys. I'm in my 50s and apparently unemployable, but have no wish to go on welfare. I don't have a mortgage, nor an expensive lifestyle so I could live on 14k I could get from two rooms. I couldn't afford to include the electricity in the rent though, especially as it's just risen 7%, so that was my main worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Thanks guys. I'm in my 50s and apparently unemployable, but have no wish to go on welfare. I don't have a mortgage, nor an expensive lifestyle so I could live on 14k I could get from two rooms. I couldn't afford to include the electricity in the rent though, especially as it's just risen 7%, so that was my main worry.
    Electricity is a utility, so if you charge rent and then charge for electricity on top of that, and the total of the two charges exceeds 14k, then you are outside the rent-a-room scheme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If 14k is your only income the tax would be minimal if anything. With tax credits and deductions for expenses, the tax bill would most likely be wiped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Electricity is a utility, so if you charge rent and then charge for electricity on top of that, and the total of the two charges exceeds 14k, then you are outside the rent-a-room scheme.

Collecting money to pay a electricity bill split between people is not income to the payer though & its not part of the 14k.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

davindub wrote: »
    Collecting money to pay a electricity bill split between people is not income to the payer though & its not part of the 14k.

Revenue would not agree with you

Any bills of any description are part of the 14k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

L1011 wrote: »

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Get the tenant to pay the utility directly. Say 40 Euro a month direct debit into the electricity account

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

It basically goes like this

(Gross) Rental Income
    - Mortgage Interest (85% I think moving to 100%)
    - Non capital repairs (more day to day stuff like paint, bulbs, boiler servicing, etc)
    - Mortgage protection premium
    - Any other allowable expenses as per Revenue guidance
    = Net Rental Income

Then deduct this year's portion of capital expenses - if any (expensive items you're writing off over several years to smooth out your tax liability)

= Taxable Rental Income

Multiply the above by your tax rate (20 or 40%), PRSI and USC = your tax liability

Then don't forget that once you have non PAYE income of over 5k I think it is, then you have to register for ROS as you will be self assessed so you have to do a Form 11 online each year. This then comes with the joy of preliminary tax which is a whole other pain in backside in the initial years anyway when you're trying to balance it out and find the cash (in your first year anyway) of essentially paying two years tax in one go. Some accountants have advised friends of mine not to bother with the prelim tax - seems like terrible advice to me and a recipe for an audit. Maybe Revenue are less concerned with smaller amounts of prelim tax but I wouldn't take the risk.

You'll often hear people giving out really dangerous advice to cut corners, to do this, don't do that. Usually this is them justifying their own corner cutting and should be taken with a dump truck of salt.

A good accountant can do your return for you for a few hundred and if you're unsure, I highly recommend getting one for the first few years to make sure you are on the right path. Could save you money and could save you a lot in interest and charges later on, if you mess it up. The accountants fees should be a deductible expense.

If you are getting TRS, cancel it as soon as your rent the place out as you're no longer entitled to it.

L1011 wrote: »

I'm not offering a theory......and I do know this so I don't know where you are getting that from?

If you bill the lodger directly = income.

If you share an expense = not income.

You can of course confirm this with Revenue.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »

Get the tenant to pay the utility directly. Say 40 Euro a month direct debit into the electricity account

There's no need to do this, flat charges would be income, if you have a bill of 200 euros and it is split 2 ways, that is not income

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement