Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Float fishing from the canal bank December

Options
  • 12-11-2018 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Are course fish active in December? It's my preferred method. Ground bait, couple of maggots and sit and relax on the canal (all bundled up)

I remember last year the bites started to fade off towards end of October and then I just packed away the float gear in favour of spinning until the spring.

Any point in trying this late in the year or should I head for a fishery or lake for pike?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

jme2010 wrote: »
    Hey lads,

Are course fish active in December? It's my preferred method. Ground bait, couple of maggots and sit and relax on the canal (all bundled up)

I remember last year the bites started to fade off towards end of October and then I just packed away the float gear in favour of spinning until the spring.

Any point in trying this late in the year or should I head for a fishery or lake for pike?

Cheers

You will still get good fishing in canals at this time of year.

The areas with cover like over hanging bushes and moored boats are always worth a try.

You will also need to scale down your tackle and bait as well. No bigger than a 16 hook, 1-1.5lb hooklength, 3lb mainline. You need to use low particle content grounbait at this time of year or straight breadcrumb and pinkies instead of maggots. You can overfeed fishing very easily in winter so don't feed too heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

If the water is Clear, don't bother, if it's coloured I still wouldn't bother on the Canal, but you might get the odd Perch. Personally I'd be feeder fishing a stillwater or Pike fishing in the winter

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

If its set up and sit down your after why not start deadbaiting for pike - set up - fall asleep, let the alarms wake you up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Silversun

I usually pack up the gear for winter myself but Im thinking of getting out over the next few weeks. Id bebinterested in spinning for perch and pike, would I be better off going to lakes or would the canals be worth my wile? I’m in Dublin Kildare area

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

uch wrote: »
    If the water is Clear, don't bother, if it's coloured I still wouldn't bother on the Canal, but you might get the odd Perch. Personally I'd be feeder fishing a stillwater or Pike fishing in the winter

Not at all. I've broken the ice on canals and had 15 to 20lbs of fish in a day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement