Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin 2 bed for 250-300k possible?

Options
  • 09-12-2018 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My father is looking at buying a house in Cork to rent out as we sold a foreign property. However, Im moving to Dublin in September so we are thinking of maybe getting one in Dublin instead, so i could live there and rent out the spare room/s.

I can see on daft there a number of 2 beds in smithfield for 220-250 and a few others in this price range around central Dublin. My question though is are these realistic prices?

I believe I read that the average 2 bed in Dublin goes for something like 350k plus. Are the EA's just lowballing the prices to gain interest?

Ideally we would be looking for some place along luas/dart/good bus routes or walkable distance to jervis street.

I have very little geographical or transport knowledge so if ye have any ideas, let me know.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

250 gets you a 1 bed in Smithfield. I don't think you'll get a 2 bed for much less than 300.

There are cheaper areas in Dublin though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

This one is a semi-detached in Rathmines. It is a tight squeeze though but you should get €600 a month for the spare room, small as it is.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057932185

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

250 gets you a 1 bed in Smithfield. I don't think you'll get a 2 bed for much less than 300.

There are cheaper areas in Dublin though.
    4ensic15 wrote: »
    This one is a semi-detached in Rathmines. It is a tight squeeze though but you should get €600 a month for the spare room, small as it is.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057932185

Thanks for the replies.

It doesnt have to be Smithfield. Can be anywhere really as long as its within 30 mins of city by luas/dart etc.

I can see numerous places within that price range in Dublin im just not sure if that is what they will realistically go for. I feel like the EA may be undervaluing them to drum up interest.

The property register also seems to have zero info on bedrooms in the house or the condition of the house so cant really judge of that.

For example,

A very nice 2 bed house in East wall for 285k. Is that realistic?

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/east-wall/9-portside-court-east-wall-dublin-1981264/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

That house is 57 sq m. That is tiny. You'll get bigger for 300k in the suburbs which are still within 30 mins of city centre

• Advertisement

That house is 57 sq m. That is tiny. You'll get bigger for 300k in the suburbs which are still within 30 mins of city centre

Thanks for the reply. Any idea of what areas to look in? Not from Dublin so don't know areas/routes too well

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Try Swords - Applewood. You'll get a two bed for < 250.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

TCM wrote: »

He wants a place 30 minutes from the city centre by Luas or DART. No Luas or DART in Swords and the bus from there would take a lot longer than 30 minutes at peak time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

richy wrote: »
    Hi,

My father is looking at buying a house in Cork to rent out as we sold a foreign property. However, Im moving to Dublin in September so we are thinking of maybe getting one in Dublin instead, so i could live there and rent out the spare room/s.

I can see on daft there a number of 2 beds in smithfield for 220-250 and a few others in this price range around central Dublin. My question though is are these realistic prices?

I believe I read that the average 2 bed in Dublin goes for something like 350k plus. Are the EA's just lowballing the prices to gain interest?

Ideally we would be looking for some place along luas/dart/good bus routes or walkable distance to jervis street.

I have very little geographical or transport knowledge so if ye have any ideas, let me know.

Thanks

If you check Daft and My home.ie you will find plenty of two beds in the 250000 range in placez like Lucan Santry Blanchardstown Tallaght etc.
    A bit of research will check the best transport links. Believe it or not but estate agents are
    finding it hard to sell at the moment and a cash buyer is very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Remote areas with bad bus services will have sub 300k houses. No way would anyone make it from their front door in Blanchardstown or Tallaght to Jervis St in 30 mins using pubic transport. They would have to allow at leas double that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thanks for the replies.

It doesnt have to be Smithfield. Can be anywhere really as long as its within 30 mins of city by luas/dart etc.

There's a load of places in Drimnagh for under 300k, LUAS stop nearby.
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/property-for-sale/drimnagh/?s%5Bmxp%5D=300000

This place is five minutes walk from the LUAS, for example
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/drimnagh/apt-36-block-lansdowne-valley-drimnagh-dublin-1987357/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

RayCun wrote: »

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/drimnagh/apt-36-block-lansdowne-valley-drimnagh-dublin-1987357/

Not the OP but those curved walls would wreck my head but I'm sure most won't mind. What's Drimnagh like as an area?

Not the OP but those curved walls would wreck my head but I'm sure most won't mind. What's Drimnagh like as an area?

It's not fantastic... not the worst either. I'd go for a walk around in the evening and see how you feel.

The fact that the LUAS puts it so close to the city centre means the character of the area is changing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well I've heard Brickfields Park is the session.

TCM wrote: »

I don't know Dublin well but I know I don't want to live in Swords lol. Thanks though!
    He wants a place 30 minutes from the city centre by Luas or DART. No Luas or DART in Swords and the bus from there would take a lot longer than 30 minutes at peak time.

What I was thinking. Thanks.
    Edgware wrote: »
    If you check Daft and My home.ie you will find plenty of two beds in the 250000 range in placez like Lucan Santry Blanchardstown Tallaght etc.
    A bit of research will check the best transport links. Believe it or not but estate agents are
    finding it hard to sell at the moment and a cash buyer is very welcome

Know someone in Blanch who said its a nightmare to get into the city. Would imagine its the same for the others. Not cash buyer. Will need 50% mortgage. Sorry for confusion. Would be a cash buyer if it was in Cork.
    Remote areas with bad bus services will have sub 300k houses. No way would anyone make it from their front door in Blanchardstown or Tallaght to Jervis St in 30 mins using pubic transport. They would have to allow at leas double that.

Thanks for this. I will look into Drimnagh! Seems like could be the best solution.

It's not fantastic... not the worst either. I'd go for a walk around in the evening and see how you feel.

The fact that the LUAS puts it so close to the city centre means the character of the area is changing too.
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Well I've heard Brickfields Park is the session.

Thanks for all the replies. Im still wondering though if houses are generally going for the advertised prices in Dublin or do they go for a lot more?

I have seen some property shows in Dublin a year or two ago and houses were being sold for 10-30% more than their advertised prices.

Those places look very nice. Unlike the other poster, I actually really like the curved walls :-D. Do you think they will go for those prices? A 2 bed in dublin 30 mins by walk and Luas (according to google maps) for 215k seems very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Artane is probably in your price range and close enough to your 30 minute commute distance to city centre (should improve with BusConnects plan if you are close to Malahide Road). Not many apartments in the area but noticed this one on daft
    https://www.daft.ie/11931321

cunavalos wrote: »
    Artane is probably in your price range and close enough to your 30 minute commute distance to city centre (should improve with BusConnects plan if you are close to Malahide Road). Not many apartments in the area but noticed this one on daft
    https://www.daft.ie/11931321

Thanks! Seems nice and central to the city.

Looked online at Drimnagh's reputation. This was from 2008. Wasnt good :-(

Those places look very nice. Unlike the other poster, I actually really like the curved walls :-D. Do you think they will go for those prices? A 2 bed in dublin 30 mins by walk and Luas (according to google maps) for 215k seems very reasonable.

That I don't know. You could do some digging looks like other apartments in that block are in the property price register.

You could also check the LUAS cross city line on the northside, around Cabra?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

Recently sold my 2 bed apartment in Chapelizod to trade up and I can confirm that it would be in your price range. Gutted selling it but needs must.

Chapelizod is very well connected to the city centre with loads of buses and even a Nitelink that's better than taxis. Also right beside the M50 if you need to get out of the city quick. Either way, it's just under 30 minutes to city centre by bus during rush hour.

Right beside the Phoenix Park and Memorial Park, if that's your thing, and some nice enough boozers. Dire need of a coffee shop but you can't have everything.

FYI, the apartments in The Island have a utility/storage room. Secure parking is also available. Parking spaces are for sale or rent for very cheap if you need them.

Good example here here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Ashtown in daft <300

Quite a few 2 beds in Ashtown for sub 300k if apartments are an option.
    Ashtown and Broombridge Railway stations a few mins walk.
    Luas a few mins walk depending on where you end up in Ashtown.
    Regular busses.
    All less than 30 minutes to city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

I’m from the drimnagh area- well the other side of the road to drimnagh less then 100 meters though.

Drimnagh has hanged hugely over the last 6 7 years. It is a very quiet settled area now. In the early 00s there was a feud in the area that ended in 2007 or 2008. Majority of families are hard working families with everything on your door step. You can walk to city center from anywhere in Drimnagh in 20 mins down canal and through James street. 10 mins by Luas and 5 different buses through the area to get you to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

Check Crumlin. I bought in Crumlin last year. Great location. Close to town. Lots of young families buying in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 littlemissfraze

Richy, I bought my first home in Drimnagh about 2 years ago. Before that I lived in Blackrock where I had grown up. I had also read some negative comments about Drimnagh and was a little bit worried about moving to the area.
    I wanted to live somewhere close to the city centre and my budget was around 300k.

I'm delighted with the move. Drimnagh is a nice area and I haven't seen any trouble since I moved here 2 years ago. I work in the city centre and my commute is 15 minutes by bicycle. The luas is a good service if you are travelling to the north side of the city centre. There are also plenty of buses going into town as well. Would recommend. Have a look at Crumlin and Inchicore as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Drimnagh / Crumlin / Inchicore are perfect for young professionals. Easy access to town, high rental market for renting out the spare room. Lots of amenities and near to the Luas / public transport.

There'll always be a good resale price too.

Chapelizod is fab, really nice village feel to the place.

Somewhere like parkwest is well placed with transport links but very soul-less and not great facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

there are apartments/ houses below 300k in Clongriffin. New buildings are more expensive, but the rest are not super old as the whole area was empty 16 years ago.

Cabra, lots of 2 beds & some 3 beds there within budget. New luas line & lots of buses. Close to town, & Phoenix park

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

boris1234 wrote: »
    Check Crumlin. I bought in Crumlin last year. Great location. Close to town. Lots of young families buying in the area.

Crumlin has really improved over the last 10 years. Less scumbags roaming the streets. Between Crumlin village (which got a nice facelift) and Ashleaf you have everything for your day to day living.
    It's a safe area with friendly folks and close to town.
    Unfortunately property prices are on the up so it becomes less affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

MSVforever wrote: »
    Crumlin has really improved over the last 10 years......

A very very old age profile now too - becoming a nice quiet area. It will only get better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

The Coast, Baldoyle.

Plenty of 1 - 3 beds have gone up for sale this year for between 170 - 310K.

Close to Clongfirrin and Bayside Dart stations. Also, have access to the following bus routes. 15, 29A, 32,

Advertisement